Wednesday 19th June 2024

Euro 2024 -  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland v 🇨🇭Switzerland

kick-off 8pm

Aberdeen's Foreign Legion

I’m going with my memory which starts early 80s without even googling so I know there’s some missing

3-4-3

Snelders

Arneson

Tstvanov

Heikinen

Bisconti

Van der ven

Kiriakov

Aluko

Gillhaus

Stavrum

Zero

Never saw Varga play but he’s no doubt in there.

Snelders

Henning Boel  Heikkinen      Arnasson  Tzvetanov

Zoltan Varga          Bisconti      Kiriakov  Richardson

Gillhaus                  Newell

Snelders

Henning Boel  Heikkinen      Arnasson  Tzvetanov

Zoltan Varga          Bisconti      Kiriakov  Richardson

Gillhaus                  Newell

Picking Englishmen and there's no room for Paul Mason?  :o

Theo

Heikkinen        Deloumeaux          Arnasson

van de Ven    Bisconti  Kiriakov  Ten Caat   

Gillhaus    van der Ark  Zerouali

Slightly unbalanced side, defence may cause a bit of concern...  :-\

Solberg was terrible. And English players don’t count!

If they did then Paul Mason is straight in there.

Interesting thread, don't really have the time to think this through at present but will come back to this.

Picking Englishmen and there's no room for Paul Mason?  :o

Theo

Heikkinen        Deloumeaux          Arnasson

van de Ven    Bisconti  Kiriakov  Ten Caat   

Gillhaus    van der Ark  Zero

Thought about Mason but just think Rico was better all round. Also considered Zero in place of Newell but reckon Newell a better fit to partner with Gillhaus. Both Mason and Zero on bench alongside Kjaer, Deloumeaux and Ten Caat of course!

Have to say TC that Mason was a superior player to Richardson (as good as Rico was, and they were obviously different types of player).

Mike Newell was an absolute carthorse for us.

Looking at these teams, we've not had a fantastic amount of success with foreigners over the years.

Mike Newell was dreadful. Pasquinelli, Zdrillic, Fallon, Blaha and that French guy with the pony tail we had on loan contributed more than he did and they were mince too.

Are we including Ireland as a foreign country?

Mike Newell was dreadful. Pasquinelli, Zdrillic, Fallon, Blaha and that French guy with the pony tail we had on loan contributed more than he did and they were mince too.

Are we including Ireland as a foreign country?

Ireland is obviously not in Scotland also therefore of course it is a foreign country

for every good overseas player we've had, there's a Harold Ingulfsson and Chidi Nwakali.

Surely the Welsh could be included. Nobody adding Peter Nicholas?

I ruled out him and Hignett on grounds of didnt stay long enough to merit inclusion

Edit....to be fair I really shouldnt have included Varga on the same grounds but he really was a special talent...

Leaving out home nations players I would go for:

Snelders

Hector Deloumeaux Arnasson Tzvetanov

Hayes Heikkinen  Kiriakov Aluko

Gilhaus Paatelainen

Thank fuck yer playing Heikkinen in midfield. Ridiculous shoe-horning by others. Even Arnason only played a handful at centre half first time round.

I think it's fair to say we've had a lot of very shite foreigners. Delomeaux was a good player like, very decent centre half who was screwed over by the ref in the Hertha game.

Surely if we're including Hayes, then Mixu is oot for Rooney?

I'd go

Snelders

Heikkinen

Gillhaus

and probably just take my chances with those three.

Thank fuck yer playing Heikkinen in midfield. Ridiculous shoe-horning by others. Even Arnason only played a handful at centre half first time round.

I think it's fair to say we've had a lot of very shite foreigners. Delomeaux was a good player like, very decent centre half who was screwed over by the ref in the Hertha game.

Surely if we're including Hayes, then Mixu is oot for Rooney?

I'd go

Snelders

Heikkinen

Gillhaus

and probably just take my chances with those three.

Think Mixu was a better player than Rooney although that might be the drink effecting my memory plus fact he played in a team that included Shearer, Jess and Booth which was a joy to watch at the time.

If they did then Paul Mason is straight in there.

Interesting thread, don't really have the time to think this through at present but will come back to this.

Mason was excellent but given we plucked him from Holland I don't really see him as the typical Englishman we tend to sign.

Deloumeaux was a solid player, I liked him. Van Der Ark was like bambi on ice, and that's being nice.

I'd say Rooney struggles to make our top 5, he's scored a good few goals for us but I'd take Zero, Stavrum, Gillhaus, Alex Di Rocco before him to start.

For those bored and have nothing better to do, how about a 'foreigners' team and a Britain and Ireland' team?