Wednesday 15th May 2024:  kick-off 7.45pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Livingston

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

Yep, Georgia are a decent side. It'd be like us playing Motherwell at Pittodrie, expected to win but not a given. 

I'd like to see us switch to a back three and add Gilmour into midfield playing the Clarkson role behind Armstrong and McTominay. Robertson and Hickey wide with McGinn right up alongside Dykes. Thought Tierney looked off it before he got injured so I'd start Cooper. I also thought Porteous was poor, making a lot of poor decisions, but give him another go alongside Henry. 

3 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Yep, Georgia are a decent side. It'd be like us playing Motherwell at Pittodrie, expected to win but not a given. 

I'd like to see us switch to a back three and add Gilmour into midfield playing the Clarkson role behind Armstrong and McTominay. Robertson and Hickey wide with McGinn right up alongside Dykes. Thought Tierney looked off it before he got injured so I'd start Cooper. I also thought Porteous was poor, making a lot of poor decisions, but give him another go alongside Henry. 

I meant McGregor...

Great start to the campaign, but 4 hard games ahead. No gimmies. Win the next one in Cyprus and the worst we can do is 15 points, dropping 9. Georgia away will be hard, fair to say we didn’t see the best of them tonight. Norway have already dropped 8. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Spain win out, so 15 would be enough.

6 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Pussy. You’re not a real fan.

Your right. If phone had been working I would have just booked hotel and stayed until the end but as it wasn’t had to make sure got train back. Trainers and jeans still soaking. 

• Like 1

This team has something special about them. Great to see. Mental how much they’ve come along from thon wizard days. Due to the rain delay I got to watch a bit at work, but typically meetings meant I missed the second 🤣 Looking forward to catching the proper highlights. 

• Like 1

Forgot to mention, does anyone in the world think that the game is improved by giving penalties like the one last night? This is the shitey stat that they base VAR being a success because of. They changed the rules to make accidental brushes against the ball a penalty and then claim success because a camera can spot them on the 18th time of asking (I actually saw it in real time and wondered why the commentary team didn't mention it). It's ridiculously unsporting. 

Anyway, it could all be decided by the next round of fixtures. If Spain go to Georgia and win (likely) and we beat Cyprus (likely), the second game involves Norway and Georgia. If that is a draw like the first fixture (likely-ish) then we've qualified. 

• Like 2

Yeah I think likely one more victory would do it. If we were to beat Cyprus you would need either Norway or Georgia to win all there remaining fixtures to have a chance to overtake us. They both have to play Spain and ourselves so I feel that's unlikely. Would be nice to keep the form going to rack up ranking points and see if we can top the group of course. 

1 hour ago, DantheDon said:

Yeah I think likely one more victory would do it. If we were to beat Cyprus you would need either Norway or Georgia to win all there remaining fixtures to have a chance to overtake us. They both have to play Spain and ourselves so I feel that's unlikely. Would be nice to keep the form going to rack up ranking points and see if we can top the group of course. 

I feel like we should be talking about winning the group now to be honest. If Georgia can get a draw against Spain next round and we beat Cyprus, then we just need a point in Spain and a win against Norway to top the group. Sorted.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

I feel like we should be talking about winning the group now to be honest. If Georgia can get a draw against Spain next round and we beat Cyprus, then we just need a point in Spain and a win against Norway to top the group. Sorted.

Nail

Head

Nicely hit, I'm glad I read to the end because I was about to type words to this effect out.   A win in Cyprus and we are defo going.  I don't take the result for granted but it's not unreasonable to fancy our chances of getting said win.  In that case I think the Spain game will define the group. A point there and I would be amazed if we don't win the group.  Clarke will be going there to win though and so he fucking should be, they ain't the team they once were and I don't think many teams look forward to playing us now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tlg1903 said:

Nail

Head

Nicely hit, I'm glad I read to the end because I was about to type words to this effect out.   A win in Cyprus and we are defo going.  I don't take the result for granted but it's not unreasonable to fancy our chances of getting said win.  In that case I think the Spain game will define the group. A point there and I would be amazed if we don't win the group.  Clarke will be going there to win though and so he fucking should be, they ain't the team they once were and I don't think many teams look forward to playing us now. 

Yes, obviously the team don't have to talk about it yet, but we should! If we lose to Spain, then we need to keep it to a one goal deficit, as head to head is counted first. People talk about having "seen it all before" with Scotland, but we haven't. This is the first time this century that we can genuinely say that we've got a team that is capable of winning and qualifying. The times that we gloriously failed were down to the fact that we didn't have a good enough squad. We didn't beat teams like Georgia away because we had no right to (or no right to expect to). We were always destined to lose or draw a winnable game in a whole campaign. It's different with this team, they're a very good team. We should be expecting to win all three of our non-Spain games, and we'll be favourites to do so. We've got a good depth of squad, with decent cover in every position (Adams and to a lesser extent McKenna and Paterson, and of course Gordon will put pressure on Gunn next season too). I think Clarke will expect to get 9/9 from the easier fixtures, which piles the pressure on Spain to do something. A win in Cyprus would relieve a huge amount of pressure too, which would make a massive difference away to Georgia. The 21st protocol for those types of fixtures (difficult pot 3-4 teams I mean) is that they're always preceded by the manager saying "well, even if we don't win, it's still mathematically possible to qualify" - they're basically gift wrapping potential failure. Things are so different this time round, it's intriguing.

Edited by RicoS321