Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

5 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Didn’t see the game and obviously see the biased reporting. Was it offside or a foul? And what was it called during the game? Keeper made no attempt at the ball whatsoever, and made no contact with hendry to try to get the ball. I don’t see a foul so assume it’s offside?

The ref signalled for a foul, but then about twenty minutes later, VAR released offside footage. It could be a case of the ref getting his signals wrong, but I wouldn't rule out him going to VAR without having a clear understanding of what he was looking for. I'd like Scotland to press for the audio to be released. It's a decision that will likely see Spain top the group. Another case of VAR ruining a great moment. The margins for offside are pathetic. There's absolutely no way that even the Spanish media would be repeating that goal back and forth to decide whether Hendry's foot was on or off (prior to VAR I mean). It ruins the enjoyment of the game. They either need to ditch VAR or change the offside rule to something that doesn't result in two minute delays and goals being disallowed for toes being offside. There really weren't that many outrageous offside decisions prior to VAR that has made this abomination worth it. Similarly handball. Basically 90% of VAR interventions. 

In short, though, as per the specifications laid out in the rules, the goal was correctly disallowed, but there is huge confusion because the ref signalled incorrectly. He was fucking awful all night, and worse than anything I've seen in Scotland this season.

• Like 1

Couldn’t see at the game what the goal was chopped off for and having watched it back twice now I am still none the wiser. Totally agree with Rico VAR needs chucked in the bin. No decision that takes that long to review is a clear and obvious error. 

Seville is a fantastic city and well worth a visit if are down that way. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jute said:

Couldn’t see at the game what the goal was chopped off for and having watched it back twice now I am still none the wiser. Totally agree with Rico VAR needs chucked in the bin. No decision that takes that long to review is a clear and obvious error. 

Seville is a fantastic city and well worth a visit if are down that way. 

You’re more coherent than I expected 😂

Easy to give an opinion in the moment when var has gone against you, but can we honestly say var has made the game better? More enjoyable? It seems that every week we’re discuss var in a negative light.

woukd be happy for the var experiment to end. Has caused more drama and frustration than clarity in my eyes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OrlandoDon said:

Easy to give an opinion in the moment when var has gone against you, but can we honestly say var has made the game better? More enjoyable? It seems that every week we’re discuss var in a negative light.

woukd be happy for the var experiment to end. Has caused more drama and frustration than clarity in my eyes. 

It has been a complete failure in my opinion. It's frustrating, because in Scotland we had ample opportunity to watch it fail in England (and elsewhere) first. It's such a huge change to the game that match-going fans weren't asked their opinion on too. Although I'm almost certain that enough people would have voted for it because of nebulous ideas such as "being left behind", "progress" and "refs in Europe". I don't even like it when we get a VAR decision in our favour, it just feels wrong most of the time. I think it's because they've made up new reasons for fouls (handball and having your cock offside) and then VAR gives us fouls for those new rules. Those are the majority of instances, with a handful - per season - of correcting poor ref calls added in.

Unfortunately it's not an experiment either, it's now fully embedded and can't be overturned (ironic, given its purpose). Like everything in our technologically religious world, the answer to shite tech is bureaucracy or more shite tech. Some clever fucker once said something about the most progressive way to progress being to go backward, or some shit. I'm guessing that they were referring to social media, or TV or whatever, but it's applicable here. We marched into a technology without questioning what it would do. We didn't say: "is the purpose of offside really to chalk off goals where a player is only a foot off?". We couldn't even come up with a definition of clear and obvious. The next step will be to amend the rules or make the technology faster, rather than to go back and ask why.

• Like 2

In the space of eight days, we've had the fiasco of VAR not getting involved with the Duk assault, the goal (??) v St Johnstone and now this last night.

For sometime now, I've been completely disillusioned with VAR, and these instances above are by no means isolated incidents. I'm sick of sitting either live at a game or watching on tv whilst the game pauses for several minutes and some guys in a VAR studio sit and watch it over and over again still in numerous incidents somehow managing to get it wrong.

Just bin the fucking thing and give us back the game we all fell in love with.

@ Rico, fucking tremendous post above mate. One of the best ever on her in my humble opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Fantastic. Although still a little gutted that we're not playing for top spot. A draw would have been nice.

Agreed. 

Happy to be there but still a bit gutted we didn’t get something from Thursday to put us in the driving seat for winning the group. 

9 hours ago, Jute said:

Agreed. 

Happy to be there but still a bit gutted we didn’t get something from Thursday to put us in the driving seat for winning the group. 

Yep, it also takes the pressure off for the Georgia and Norway games and turns them into a bit of a friendly. They've barely put a foot wrong in the campaign, I think we deserved a chance to go for that top spot. I was actually surprised that there wasn't more made of it on Thursday to be honest. It was fleetingly mentioned in the commentary, but it seemed like our target prior to the Spain game was simply qualifying rather than winning the group. There seemed to be a lot of annoyance at the decision to chalk off our goal, but very little focus on why it was so bad for us. It was almost like there was still a lack of belief (among the general punditry) that we could win the final two games to win the group. Almost a relief that we don't have to go through it I suppose, which I thought we'd moved on from. They all seem to be stuck in the mindset that Scotland will strive to fuck it up at the death, which I think this group of players deserves better than.

• Like 1

Disagree about the Norway and Georgia games being like friendlies,

We still have much to play for to be honest. 

Six points out of six in the last couple of games, not only mathematically, although realistically unlikely, makes it possible for us to still win the group, but more importantly will pretty much make us guaranteed to be a second seed come the draw in December. This is important as there will be five group winners that will fall into the second seed group and would mean we'd miss some big hitters.

4 hours ago, BigAl said:

Disagree about the Norway and Georgia games being like friendlies,

We still have much to play for to be honest. 

Six points out of six in the last couple of games, not only mathematically, although realistically unlikely, makes it possible for us to still win the group, but more importantly will pretty much make us guaranteed to be a second seed come the draw in December. This is important as there will be five group winners that will fall into the second seed group and would mean we'd miss some big hitters.

Ahh, had forgotten about the second seed thing. The players also have to play for their places at the tournament too, of course. To be honest, I trust Clarke will get them up for the games.