Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

8 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Shankland was horse against us and not good enough. Nisbet looks to have bulked up during his period out through injury, so I'd have taken a punt on him as the better option with one eye on the future. Shankland definitely won't be good enough for international fitba, but nisbet might be in a couple of years. We're seriously weak in that department though. Still waiting for Burke and mcburnie to come good....

I tend to agree Nisbet is the better player but can’t stay fit. Ross Stewart is injured which removes another potential option. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

I see the under 21s were beaten 3-0 by Wales.  Makes interesting reading if you google some of the names on our teamsheet.  Not sure I would class too many of them as being overly Scottish 🙄

Too many of the players in the team, or too many of them with the funny sounding names that you googled? I think most of have been around since at least the under nineteens if not long before. Which players, specifically, do you take issue with?

5 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Too many of the players in the team, or too many of them with the funny sounding names that you googled? I think most of have been around since at least the under nineteens if not long before. Which players, specifically, do you take issue with?

Cieran Slicker - born in England 😏

Dire Mebude - born in England, grew up in Peckham 🤨

Jeremiah Mullen - born in England 🙄

Lewis Fiorini - born in England 🤔

I know what you are saying about playing for younger age groups but it means nothing.  Call me a big cynic but if the Man City boys become proper players they will end up reverting to England.

1 hour ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Cieran Slicker - born in England 😏

Dire Mebude - born in England, grew up in Peckham 🤨

Jeremiah Mullen - born in England 🙄

Lewis Fiorini - born in England 🤔

I know what you are saying about playing for younger age groups but it means nothing.  Call me a big cynic but if the Man City boys become proper players they will end up reverting to England.

So you think we should cap them immediately?

In reality I haven't the foggiest, as I haven't heard any of them speak about it, although for some reason I had it in my head that Fiorini was quite into playing for Scotland due to his granny or something. Think Mebude came through the Hun youth too, and maybe sees his upbringing as Scottish (he looked pish the last time I saw him anyway)? Slicker is a goalie, so should be eligible to play when Gordon retires in 15 years' time. No idea how Mullen qualifies, or the first thing about him.

I'm fairly comfortable with Adams, Dykes, Gunn, McTominay and Brown in the senior team, and by the time any of these lads make it at least one of those will have been ditched. The rule is set in stone and I think it's unlikely we're going to start hunting grannies in any great number under Clarke. Four or five of the squad not being born here is fine. If they tried changing the rules to allow us to take other British players, it would become more of an issue, but you know where you stand with the granny rule. I'd prefer all Scotland players to have played in Scotland if we were going fully militant.

40 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Nah, I'd rather we just did not pick them in the first place to be honest.

Or any of the ones in the senior squad? That'd be fair enough, but we couldn't really complain that Zander Clarke was in goals and Lawrence Shankland up front and Jack permanently in instead of McTominay. I think we'd be looking at a Scotland team significantly lower ranked than the one we've got now. Definitely no Euros qualification last time round and we'd likely be two tiers below in the Nations' League too.

“Born in England” is an incredibly simplistic viewpoint to take. We’re looking at players around 18-20 years of age, 18-20 years ago was probably the peak time for freedom of movement in Europe, you’ll have had Scottish parents working all over the place (including England) having kids. My own kids were born overseas and I don’t consider them to be anything other than Scottish.

Anyway, if you’re that bothered about the purity of someone’s nationality, surely the origins of their blood is stronger than the geographical location of the hospital they happened to be born in?

Unless they don’t sing the anthem loudly enough, then they should be strung up of course. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slim said:

“Born in England” is an incredibly simplistic viewpoint to take.

Yes, I get that and it was a wee bit tongue in cheek Slim.  If their parents went on holiday to England and you happened to be born there during the fortnight then fair enough but if you were born and raised down there then I am not having you in our national shirt.  If you cheer on England when they play then that is obviously also an instant disqualification. 

14 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Or any of the ones in the senior squad? That'd be fair enough, but we couldn't really complain that Zander Clarke was in goals and Lawrence Shankland up front and Jack permanently in instead of McTominay. I think we'd be looking at a Scotland team significantly lower ranked than the one we've got now. Definitely no Euros qualification last time round and we'd likely be two tiers below in the Nations' League too.

It feels almost the equivalent of cheating though, doesn't it.  It's not club fitba, it's called international fitba for a reason.  The best 11 players from Scotland against the best 11 players from A.N.other.  It's like the Dons having half a team full of loan players, just plain wrong.  You're either Scottish or not, whether your late grannie was Scottish should not be a decisive factor in my opinion. I'd also like a rule where the manager had to be from the country they are managing. 

1 hour ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Yes, I get that and it was a wee bit tongue in cheek Slim.  If their parents went on holiday to England and you happened to be born there during the fortnight then fair enough but if you were born and raised down there then I am not having you in our national shirt.  If you cheer on England when they play then that is obviously also an instant disqualification. 

It feels almost the equivalent of cheating though, doesn't it.  It's not club fitba, it's called international fitba for a reason.  The best 11 players from Scotland against the best 11 players from A.N.other.  It's like the Dons having half a team full of loan players, just plain wrong.  You're either Scottish or not, whether your late grannie was Scottish should not be a decisive factor in my opinion. I'd also like a rule where the manager had to be from the country they are managing. 

Honestly, I find the entire concept of nations fairly abstract, so for me it's really just a rule that's been drawn at an arbitrary point of granny, about as meaningful as a border drawn between the countries. I think we live in a fairly homogeneous globe these days, and what it means to be from anywhere is largely a construct. I enjoy watching Scotland and international fitba, and I always hope England lose, but that feeling is almost entirely specific to sport. It's not real in any meaningful sense. If we were bringing in rules about nationality, then I'd prefer to see one that said you had to have played in Scotland for at least 2 years. For some reason, Dykes feels Scottish to me, because he played up here for a while. 

1 hour ago, tlg1903 said:

The Spanish are fair getting their whine on after that. The grass was too long and we were time wasting apparently.  Fucking have it ya gurny cunts

Long grass probably saved a few injuries with their players launching themselves all over the shop. I wasn't aware that the grass had to be cut to a specific length to prevent them constantly kicking five yard passes out of play.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...