Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

• 3 weeks later...

Finished 1-0 to the Irish

Only managed to catch 10/12 minutes or so.

Played on a good old fashioned wet and muddy park, with the lines barely visible because the pitch was muddy. A perfect day for sliding tackles. On the basis of the little bit I saw, I thought the Irish looked the better team.

6 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Good to see shankland getting his massive coupon on the equaliser. Really upped his game with the diets over the last couple of seasons and deserves to be in the squad. They were a fucking disgrace though, as was the ref. That wasn't football they were playing.

Ref was conned repeatedly by them throwing themselves to the floor. At it for entire game. 

For a 3-3 I saw the last hour and it was a pretty dull game. Scotland play a bit like us, way too much long ball and gift possession. I think we scored with the only shot we had in the hour i watched. 
shankland doesn’t suit Clark’s/our style of play but brown looked gash. Poor up top.

Edited by OrlandoDon

Looks like Clarke does not fancy Shankland as a player at all.  To bring him on with a handful of minutes to go in each game says it all because the guy is in decent form.  It must really wrangle with a player to be brought on in the 88th minute and I'd imagine that is especially the case with a striker as they are so conscious of how their goals to games ratios look nowadays. 

On a separate point, got to wonder what the hell Jacob Brown has done to merit an international call up, never mind a cap.  No goals this season in the league for Luton.  Seriously?  We'd have been better just playing Christie up front.  Was it just that we needed a token black guy for diversity purposes? 

12 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Looks like Clarke does not fancy Shankland as a player at all.  To bring him on with a handful of minutes to go in each game says it all because the guy is in decent form.  It must really wrangle with a player to be brought on in the 88th minute and I'd imagine that is especially the case with a striker as they are so conscious of how their goals to games ratios look nowadays. 

On a separate point, got to wonder what the hell Jacob Brown has done to merit an international call up, never mind a cap.  No goals this season in the league for Luton.  Seriously?  We'd have been better just playing Christie up front.  Was it just that we needed a token black guy for diversity purposes? 

Wow, that last statement wouldn't look out of place in the daily mail comments!

Anyway, I can see why Shankland didn't start. He's decent, but only in the last couple of years has he got anywhere near the physical presence for international level and maintained it. He's not a target man like Dykes and nor will he do the running like Adams, taking it in the channels and so on. I suspect that this was Brown's opportunity to show what he can do, and he failed for the most part. Clarke will be concerned that if Adams doesn't make it (gets injured I mean) then we don't have someone to do the shift against better opposition, and probably hoped that Brown would at least manage that (he sort of did for a spell at the beginning of the second half). Shankland is very much a known quantity, Clarke will have felt that he probably doesn't have much to prove. His role will only be coming on as a sub when we're chasing games or to play against poorer opponents in qualifying, where we can afford the luxury of a goalscorer. Ten minutes to get a goal is exactly what Shankland can and should expect, and it's a fairly vital role. Clarke is loyal to the guys in his squad, but I think he'll do the right thing and leave Brown at home, leaving the door open for Shankland (assuming Nisbet isn't doing the business down the road). It'll be interesting to see how loyal he remains though, as I think there's a few players in that squad who've been brilliant servants, but could easily be left at home without little noticeable effect. We're going to need guys that can provide a spark and offer something different when we're struggling against the big teams, and I'm not sure that Shankland will manage that, as well as some of the others on display last night: McLean, Armstrong, Brown, Jack. I'd like to see us take a gamble on Doak like we did with Gilmour at least, and maybe one other young player that might take us beyond next qualifying. I see Clarke as being more in the Craig Brown mould in that regard, and I expect he'll remain loyal to the guys who qualified (although injuries will obviously allow him some movement).

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Shankland is very much a known quantity, 

I disagree, he's never had a proper chance Rico.  He's had 7 caps and played the 90 minutes once.  The last four caps were 1 minute last night, 4 minutes last week, 1 minute against Spain in March and 3 minutes against Slovakia in 2020.  It's nonsense like that which makes players walk away from the international squad.