Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

15 minutes ago, Madbadteacher said:

Stupid Euro Nations finals last week, you know, the one they just won?

It's funny how ive heard a few people expressing the opinion Spain aren't that great anymore. Yet they just went and won the nations league. Now granted its not as coveted a competition as most and I accept that Spain aren't the team they were 10 years ago, but are we downplaying how good a team we have become too much? I hope so...

19 minutes ago, tom_widdows said:

No help now but should a similar situation arise in the future megabus now do buses between Glasgow and Edinburgh through the night - 1am, 2am, 3am etc.

Aye knew that but thought of sitting on a bus soaked to the skin just did not appeal. Plus phone didn’t start working until well after the game to even look at booking bus.

Used it for games last year when no trains. Worked well enough. 

Been watching the highlights of our campaign to date and I have to say, the commentary is brilliant. I think it’s Michael Stewart and I don’t know the name of the other guy, but it certainly adds to the watching. Been big fans of Archie, jock brown, Derek Rae, rob McLean, even Arthur montford had a unique style, but I have to praise the current two. Excellent!

• 3 weeks later...

In case any one is booked to go the venue for Cyprus away has changed. 

From SFA:

Please be advised due to operational issues, the Cyprus FA have changed the venue for our away fixture in September. The match will now take place at the AEK Arena in Larnaca as opposed to the GSP Stadium in Nicosia.

This will fuck over a fair few folk who will have booked to go as capacity drops from 22,000 to 8,000 with change of venue. 

• 1 month later...

Anderson from Newcastle called up is interesting as I vaguely remember reading he has turned us down in the past. 

Also looks like Clarke’s views on not picking players not playing in Europe do not extend to the sportswashing league in Saudi. 

• 2 weeks later...

Decent performance. All very much a formality against a poor side. Really takes the pressure off, and we should be looking to win the group now. Keep it tight against Spain and restrict them to one goal. Can't help but think that the money spinning unnecessary friendlies are a real hindrance to the manager and players. When you've got an unmatched level of confidence there really is no need to be risking that against two good teams during qualifying. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Decent performance. All very much a formality against a poor side. Really takes the pressure off, and we should be looking to win the group now. Keep it tight against Spain and restrict them to one goal. Can't help but think that the money spinning unnecessary friendlies are a real hindrance to the manager and players. When you've got an unmatched level of confidence there really is no need to be risking that against two good teams during qualifying. 

Your think it’s purely money? I don’t at all!! Our form is the best (one of) in Europe, unbeaten in a qualifier in 2 years, plus a bunch of stats I’m too lazy to remember from hearing during the game. What’s the next step, beat the big boys. How do you do that? Play the big boys. Friendlies against Luxembourg or Austria even don’t benefit, meaningless, we have to play some big guns to improve. We’re playing the best local team at home so no real travel, then we’re in Spain so play their neighbor, guess it could have been Portugal but no real travel inconvenience going to France either.
For us to be better we have to play better against better teams, it’s the only option and makes perfect sense.

If we are to advance out of the group in a major tournament we need to be used to playing these teams, we’re beating the next tier and lower, it’s the most natural and smart thing to do.

5 hours ago, Jute said:

1-0 already McTominay again.

Love the boys work rate, very technical player too. Wasted with the shackles on. He’s a forward converted to a midfielder and as an attacking mid for Scotland you see what he’s all about. Want him to do a john mcginn and be the man at villa, palace, brentford, even Brighton or the likes. Think he’s shown what he can do, just needs to get away from man utd.

7 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Your think it’s purely money? I don’t at all!! Our form is the best (one of) in Europe, unbeaten in a qualifier in 2 years, plus a bunch of stats I’m too lazy to remember from hearing during the game. What’s the next step, beat the big boys. How do you do that? Play the big boys. Friendlies against Luxembourg or Austria even don’t benefit, meaningless, we have to play some big guns to improve. We’re playing the best local team at home so no real travel, then we’re in Spain so play their neighbor, guess it could have been Portugal but no real travel inconvenience going to France either.
For us to be better we have to play better against better teams, it’s the only option and makes perfect sense.

If we are to advance out of the group in a major tournament we need to be used to playing these teams, we’re beating the next tier and lower, it’s the most natural and smart thing to do.

It's the SFA, it's always about money. We're in the top group in the nation's league, we'll have plenty opportunity to play against big sides. It just doesn't need to be done in the middle of an important qualifying campaign. Meaningless friendlies are just that, they don't really tell you anything. That's what the nation's league was supposed to prevent. England, especially, is a distraction that our players could do with out. For some reason, plenty of Scotland fans will hold it up as some sort of massive and important game, when it isn't. Lose, and we'll be going into our most important game in years on a slight low. Win and it will just be seen as a meaningless friendly where England weren't trying. Friendlies have always set fans expectations too high and do little for any team. Look at our preseasons every year - which are all about fitness - we're world beaters after thrashing Turra, or a disjointed mess destined for relegation after losing to some pish English side. You never learn anything about a side, and more often than not when you go into competitive fixtures the results are completely the opposite of set expectations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

It's the SFA, it's always about money. We're in the top group in the nation's league, we'll have plenty opportunity to play against big sides. It just doesn't need to be done in the middle of an important qualifying campaign. Meaningless friendlies are just that, they don't really tell you anything. That's what the nation's league was supposed to prevent. England, especially, is a distraction that our players could do with out. For some reason, plenty of Scotland fans will hold it up as some sort of massive and important game, when it isn't. Lose, and we'll be going into our most important game in years on a slight low. Win and it will just be seen as a meaningless friendly where England weren't trying. Friendlies have always set fans expectations too high and do little for any team. Look at our preseasons every year - which are all about fitness - we're world beaters after thrashing Turra, or a disjointed mess destined for relegation after losing to some pish English side. You never learn anything about a side, and more often than not when you go into competitive fixtures the results are completely the opposite of set expectations.

You make my point. Preseason quite often we look world beaters, beat up on some euro pish in early rounds, or win every game in the  group stage in the league cup, then come back down to earth with a thud. If we want to succeed at a higher level you have to play at a higher level, win and lose. The unbeaten run means nothing if we cannot compete at a higher level at the main tournament. You have to plan in advance and improve along the way. These are necessary games in the journey. Getting confidence is one thing, but we’re ready for the next level. We don’t just go to make up numbers, we want to compete. And that takes learning from mistakes and losing a game or two as well. That’s how to get better.

Edited by OrlandoDon

7 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

I mostly agree but not with your conclusion on the England game.  I think a Scotland win on Tuesday would be quite a big moment for the team, a lot of them play down there and have no doubt endured a fair few pub league type jibes.  I'm other words I think the squad would be fucking buzzing going into the Spain game and that is no bad thing. A point there and we have won the group imo. 

13 hours ago, Panda said:

If we qualify it'll be nice to know we finished top two and all, but we shouldn't be considering actually going to the Euros. Playing some top nations will only hurt the confidence ahead of the World Cup qualifiers.

So you are assuming we’ll lose and dent the confidence. What if we draw or win? We’re on an excellent run, why not approach these games with confidence, they are friendlies too so we have nothing to lose. I sense the chemistry in the squad is terrific, and they have the mentality to go at England at hampden, who knows what happens in Spain and France, it’s all part of our evolution. Good squad can still get better.

Interesting reading today that Harvey Barnes may consider switching nationality and be open to playing for Scotland. Scottish grandparents apparently. Was in The Sun online so not sure of accuracy or truth, but easy to want to play for us based on our recent success. The way the article is written makes me unsure of this, being snubbed by England so he’ll play for us. I know it’s idealistic but I’d rather players choose to play for us based on us, not based on being ignored by England.

8 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Interesting reading today that Harvey Barnes may consider switching nationality and be open to playing for Scotland. Scottish grandparents apparently. Was in The Sun online so not sure of accuracy or truth, but easy to want to play for us based on our recent success. The way the article is written makes me unsure of this, being snubbed by England so he’ll play for us. I know it’s idealistic but I’d rather players choose to play for us based on us, not based on being ignored by England.

Thought he had already been capped at full international level by Engerlund 🤔

Guess if he was, then it couldn't have been a full international ?