Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

1 hour ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

I disagree, he's never had a proper chance Rico.  He's had 7 caps and played the 90 minutes once.  The last four caps were 1 minute last night, 4 minutes last week, 1 minute against Spain in March and 3 minutes against Slovakia in 2020.  It's nonsense like that which makes players walk away from the international squad.  

He's also shite so that's surely got to be taken into consideration?

2 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

I disagree, he's never had a proper chance Rico.  He's had 7 caps and played the 90 minutes once.  The last four caps were 1 minute last night, 4 minutes last week, 1 minute against Spain in March and 3 minutes against Slovakia in 2020.  It's nonsense like that which makes players walk away from the international squad.  

I meant that he's a known quantity in terms of his style and what you get from him. He's a goalscorer, akin to someone like Kris Boyd. He's not going to suddenly develop another string to his bow, and he's playing at the highest level he's ever reached and ever will reach (he wasn't there with utd and obviously coming off the bench for us was the pinnacle), which is only now good enough for the international squad. That level is low end international level, good enough to be a backup striker, which is what he is - deservedly. I think that Clarke will be comfortable explaining to Shankland what his role is in the squad and when he's likely to be used. He might walk away, but it's not nonsense. Jacob Brown plays in the premiership and barely gets a look in and could also walk away. That's what happens with fringe players that aren't at the level of the rest. However Shankland is 28 and might get the opportunity to go to a European championships, so I doubt we'll see him pulling out. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

I thought they might be trying to back our team not create divisions by taking what he said totally the wrong way.

Which divisions have been created? Do you think half the squad aren't talking to him now? 

6 hours ago, Panda said:

Which divisions have been created? Do you think half the squad aren't talking to him now? 

Division between the supporters and team perhaps? Creating unrealistic expectations, that sort of thing. It's not a big deal of course, but the whole point in a public broadcaster is that it should be able to set an example and not have to resort to clickbait. Generally, the Scottish football page isn't that bad for headlines, comparatively speaking.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Division between the supporters and team perhaps? Creating unrealistic expectations, that sort of thing. It's not a big deal of course, but the whole point in a public broadcaster is that it should be able to set an example and not have to resort to clickbait. Generally, the Scottish football page isn't that bad for headlines, comparatively speaking.

Craig Gordon has said that Scotland can get a result against anyone on their day. That's his actual quote.

Shall we burn down his house while he's away with the national team or wait until he returns to lynch him for creating unrealistic expectations?

There is a subtle difference between someone saying we can beat anyone on our day and a headline writer using that to say we are close to the best teams in Europe and you know exactly what I mean by that.

Stitching up their own players is the sort of thing the English Press are famed for, I thought up here in fairness the press normally backed our Scotland players.  I suspect if Clarke saw that headline he would be raging.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

There is a subtle difference between someone saying we can beat anyone on our day and a headline writer using that to say we are close to the best teams in Europe and you know exactly what I mean by that.

Stitching up their own players is the sort of thing the English Press are famed for, I thought up here in fairness the press normally backed our Scotland players.  I suspect if Clarke saw that headline he would be raging.  

Agreed. Although I wouldn't even say it's subtle, it's obviously not the same thing. 

13 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

But that's not what happened. And no-one has been stitched up.

Porteous says we're getting close to the best teams in Europe. Gordon says we can beat anyone in our day. 

13 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

I suspect if Clarke saw that headline he would be raging.  

He was literally asked about it today. He wasn't raging. He answered we've shown we can be competitive against the best teams.

You're getting yourself annoyed at nothing.