Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer transfer window

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Storey had to be allowed to leave as he just wouldn't feature other than the occasional substitute appearance wth the arrival of May. Depending on Rooney's fitness, Maynard may well find himself becoming a bit part player soon and as he is only on a 1 year contract, I can see both him and Stockley being allowed to leave for free to (very) lower league clubs down south in January.

We got an undisclosed fee foer Storey, I'd imagine 30-50k, and got him off the wage bill (2.5k/week approx) so all in all a good bit of business for the club which should allow Deek to get in a left back of reasonable quality, even if just on a years loan until young Harvie becomes a viable regular first team option.

I think we've made our last signing. We've got a good enough squad to finish second, it's up to Deek to make that happen now. Our defence of Consi, Reynolds, Logan and a.n.other has had hunners of clean sheets over the last few years, that'll continue. With Arneson as back up, I'd say that's enough for the league and cups. Full back is probably our weakest position (given Considine and Arneson can cover at centre half), but we should adequately cover this by promoting Harvie when required. It'd be nice to see him get some game time when we're comfortable in games in order that there's not a huge step up. We're strong enough that we can carry a youngster at times if required. Littering our squad with yer Meekings's is unnecessary and detrimental to our youth system. It's been a while since we've produced a half decent centre half or full back from the youths like, with Robertson probably the last to make a go of it professionally (Grimmer, I suppose, but we barely saw him). I think at some stage we just have to begin to develop our way out of any perceived squad issues. Little risk in doing so, in my opinion, until January. 

I think we've made our last signing. We've got a good enough squad to finish second, it's up to Deek to make that happen now. Our defence of Consi, Reynolds, Logan and a.n.other has had hunners of clean sheets over the last few years, that'll continue. With Arneson as back up, I'd say that's enough for the league and cups. Full back is probably our weakest position (given Considine and Arneson can cover at centre half), but we should adequately cover this by promoting Harvie when required. It'd be nice to see him get some game time when we're comfortable in games in order that there's not a huge step up. We're strong enough that we can carry a youngster at times if required. Littering our squad with yer Meekings's is unnecessary and detrimental to our youth system. It's been a while since we've produced a half decent centre half or full back from the youths like, with Robertson probably the last to make a go of it professionally (Grimmer, I suppose, but we barely saw him). I think at some stage we just have to begin to develop our way out of any perceived squad issues. Little risk in doing so, in my opinion, until January.

When Reynolds came here his reputation was as a player who could play full-back or central defence.  We've hardly used him as a full back but presumably he could still do a job.

When Reynolds came here his reputation was as a player who could play full-back or central defence.  We've hardly used him as a full back but presumably he could still do a job.

He's played full back a few times for us. Never successfully. Mainly because he's shite with the ball at his feet (Saturday aside!). He's good at centre half as he understands his limitations. He's got a good couple of years left in him.

Reynolds is far too much a hit or miss player and more miss than hit for a good couple of seasons now.  As has been mentioned by many posters he hasn't been the same player since he stopped playing with Anderson.  His only hope is that Arneson can bring the same effect once match fit.  I would have happily moved Reynolds on for Liam Lyndsey from Partick, he is now 30 and his pace is starting to go.  Truth be told I'm hoping this is Reynolds last season because he is not going to adapt very well to being a slower  player, his positional sense is still pretty poor. 

Ultimately I just wish Shinnie could be convinced return to LB, it would improve us almost immeasurably.  We would be far less vulnerable at the back and  far more potent on the left wing going forward.  No-one really talks about this anymore because he has made himself invaluable in midfield but you could argue the midfield could now cope without him.  Tansey has settled really well, easily the best early overall form of the summers transfer so far, and O'Connor or Arneson could step in as a holding midfielder.  Not only that Considine could get a shot at CB instead of Reynolds which I would prefer. 

Sadly it's probably never going to happen so if we do any more business in this window it should be a LB.

Reynolds is far too much a hit or miss player and more miss than hit for a good couple of seasons now.  As has been mentioned by many posters he hasn't been the same player since he stopped playing with Anderson.  His only hope is that Arneson can bring the same effect once match fit.  I would have happily moved Reynolds on for Liam Lyndsey from Partick, he is now 30 and his pace is starting to go.  Truth be told I'm hoping this is Reynolds last season because he is not going to adapt very well to being a slower  player, his positional sense is still pretty poor. 

Ultimately I just wish Shinnie could be convinced return to LB, it would improve us almost immeasurably.  We would be far less vulnerable at the back and  far more potent on the left wing going forward.  No-one really talks about this anymore because he has made himself invaluable in midfield but you could argue the midfield could now cope without him.  Tansey has settled really well, easily the best early overall form of the summers transfer so far, and O'Connor or Arneson could step in as a holding midfielder.  Not only that Considine could get a shot at CB instead of Reynolds which I would prefer. 

Sadly it's probably never going to happen so if we do any more business in this window it should be a LB.

Is it though? For me, on early evidence, especially the European games, he still looked relatively quick when he had to cover any errors at the back. I think he's worth keeping around for a couple more seasons at least. I am O'Connor's biggest fan, and if Arnason wants to break into the back 4, he'll have to wait just now, as both O'Connor & Reynolds deserve to keep their places for now.

Is it though? For me, on early evidence, especially the European games, he still looked relatively quick when he had to cover any errors at the back. I think he's worth keeping around for a couple more seasons at least. I am O'Connor's biggest fan, and if Arnason wants to break into the back 4, he'll have to wait just now, as both O'Connor & Reynolds deserve to keep their places for now.

^^^This. The old "his legs have gone" (whatever the fuck that means) after a poor run of form. It got used for Anderson way before he retired after a few poor games (around the time Hector had a decent run). It's like an overwhelming desire to write players off before their time. It's weird. There's no way the club doesn't test these guys in terms of pace and fitness and McInnes would be the first to know if Reynolds was losing pace. I certainly haven't seen any evidence of it. What I did see was a player who, after injury, went on a poor run of form which continued for nearly a season. Since the turn of the year, he's made very few mistakes and generally coped well. Due, mostly, to his good positional sense, his cautious approach and his obvious pace (Willie Miller was actually talking about it - his pace - last week on radio Scotland, saying what a great attribute it was). Reynolds' biggest problem has always been his strength and his lack of footballing ability (on the ball). His reading of the game is excellent, he's always looking at what his partner is doing and plays the line fantastically well. He's no world-beater, but he's easily one of the best defenders in the league (as most of our players are in their respective positions). He's better than Berra at Hertz for example (in my opinion), and certainly would get in the hun, hibs and St Johnstone teams too. Reynolds has had a few very good years for us, and didn't let us down when called upon last season either (our biggest defensive issues occurred when he was missing). I reckon we owe him a bit more time to prove he's lost it before ditching him. Christ, he played alongside Taylor and got regular clean sheets. Is it any wonder he suffered after Anderson left? A shitter player would have crumbled alongside such an unpredictable centre half.

Have to say. I thought his pace was gone but after seeing him against apollon, this sudden surge of pace I knew I'd been wrong. Gets caught out but if he has the right person alongside him he's proven he's a great defender. I'm just not sure if he and O'Connor are a fit, but you can't argue with the league form. If he gets half way near his original form I'd be happy. Hopefully he regains the confidence he quite clearly lost post injury and builds on his performances so far.

I know Reynolds played left back regularly for Motherwell and did a few times for us, but he's a better centre half imo. Just harsh on consi.

Cannot agree at all about Reynolds' biggest attributes being his pace and strength...

Whilst he probably is still one of the quicker central defenders around, he certainly could never be described as lightning fast and as he gets older I think its pretty obvious he has slowed down a bit since he first joined.

This relative pace compared to other central defenders probably stemmed from one thing....and now let's address the strength ( or lack of it) issue. Fact is Reynolds is 6ft1 which in modern central defender terms is tiny. He is also fairly skinny for someone playing in that position and whilst this is the probable reason that he is quick compared to other centre halves, it also means he is easily bullied by big physical attackers and ims a positive liability at defending set pieces where the oppo centre halves run riot against him.

Add in the fact he is completely one footed and distribution wise he is about as accurate as a second world war German doodlebug. I also agree that having his face rearranged was the start of his decline, I'm afraid for 2 years now he has been utterly ineffective and whilst he probably is good enough for a Kilmarnock or Thistle (and I suspect his future in the game will be as a left back not a central defender) he really is no longer of the quality we need to push on and try to win a trophy or 2.

He has been a good servant and if any club wanted him right now he should be allowed to leave on a free. I'd then give Consi an extended shot at centre half and whilst I have my concerns about young Harvie being over hyped, he does need tested out and should be thrown in against the weaker sides to see if he thrives, and replacing him with  Shinnie  against the Dhims, Hibs sevco and St Johnstone for now, but with a view to trying him against these clubs in 6 months or so too.