Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer transfer window

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, nobody is arguing that Reynolds is strong....

If you watch Reynolds and I can't remember examples for now....he sometimes doesn't read the game very well or man mark too good.

It's not pace or strength I think.

N&T doesn't believe he has an issue with strength, hence the replies. Hope that's ok.

Is it though? For me, on early evidence, especially the European games, he still looked relatively quick when he had to cover any errors at the back. I think he's worth keeping around for a couple more seasons at least. I am O'Connor's biggest fan, and if Arnason wants to break into the back 4, he'll have to wait just now, as both O'Connor & Reynolds deserve to keep their places for now.

You're kinda contradicting yourself there a wee bit KFP.  I would actually agree in that he is relatively quick compared to reynolds of 2 years ago (the only player he can be relative within this context is himself after all) but that is still slower.  Past year he's lost half a yard of pace imo and i would expect at least the same again over the next. 

If you watch Reynolds and I can't remember examples for now....he sometimes doesn't read the game very well or man mark too good.

It's not pace or strength I think.

Pace is relevant though, it has been his get out of jail free card after poor positional play many times.  As it wanes, and no offence to anyone but it is defo starting to wane, he's going to become more and more exposed.  Domestically we have not really faced a real challenge but even still the defence has looked wobbly at times.  Both county and hamilton have caused us problems at the back that would have been punished by better players. 

You're kinda contradicting yourself there a wee bit KFP.  I would actually agree in that he is relatively quick compared to reynolds of 2 years ago (the only player he can be relative within this context is himself after all) but that is still slower.  Past year he's lost half a yard of pace imo and i would expect at least the same again over the next. 

Pace is relevant though, it has been his get out of jail free card after poor positional play many times.  As it wanes, and no offence to anyone but it is defo starting to wane, he's going to become more and more exposed.  Domestically we have not really faced a real challenge but even still the defence has looked wobbly at times.  Both county and hamilton have caused us problems at the back that would have been punished by better players.

Losing something comes to every single player as they age, and when I said relatively quick, I meant in terms of him being a central Defender. They are usually tall, physical and cumbersome, Reynolds is none of the above, but he's certainly relatively quick for a CB.

For what it's worth, I would definitely keep him around but that does not mean I feel he's our best defender, far from it actually, I have 2 preferred back 4's and he doesn't feature in either!

Logan O'Connor Considine Shinnie

Logan O'Connor Arnason Shinnie

Shinnie will likely never play LB again barring injuries/suspensions etc... And Arnason needs to prove he still has the class and composure he did have, which I have no doubt he will in the coming weeks, but even then, Reynolds and in particular O'Connor, have done nothing wrong to merit being replaced. The only domestic goal we have conceded was 100% the fault of Logan, who gave away a free kick and then lost his marker for said free kick. Barring a couple of long range efforts, we've looked pretty comfortable with the current back 4.

O'Connor will be a big player for us this season, he will make a CB slot his own, of that I can guarantee, he is like a younger Arnason in where he very rarely flaps and can pass the ball and keep very composed. So it's anyone's game for the other slot.

I had major doubts about O'Connor but he's having a good start to the season right enough.

I liked the look of O'Connor early doors last season when he broke into the team, albeit he lost his way a little mid season.

Certainly seems to have stared this season in fine vein of form.

Long may it continue.

Assume he is out of contract next summer (two year deal ?).

Might need to look at an extension soon.

Yep, out of contract in the summer. Very similar to Considine, decent on the ball and strong. However, he's pap on his left foot. That was his major problem last season, McInnes kept playing him left side because he didn't trust Taylor (correctly) to make contact with the ball on his wrong foot. A good run of games on the right side of defence will see him come good, which he was crying out for last season.

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1395940-louis-moult-will-not-sign-new-motherwell-contract/

STV reporting that Moult has told Motherwell he won't sign a new deal.  Maybe a few weeks too late for us?

Motherwell striker Louis Moult has rejected a new contract offer from the club and said that he will not sign a new deal at Fir Park.

The club had made an offer to extend the player's stay which would have made him the highest-paid player in manager Stephen Robinson's squad.

Moult's existing contract runs out at the end of the season and the player will be free to talk to other clubs in January, unless Motherwell decide to sell the player rather than lose him for free next summer.

Rangers and Aberdeen were both interested in the forward, with the Dons being unsuccessful in a move to take Moult to Pittodrie earlier this summer.

The 25-year old has been an important figure for the Steelmen, scoring 30 goals for the club in the last two seasons.

Aye, I seen that this morning. I have tried to defend him on here several times, but I certainly understand why the majority want him gone, but at the same time, I also understand why McInnes brought him here and opted to start him in games where we really shouldn't have.

Bottom line is though, we now have May, Rooney & Maynard and they will all contribute more than Stockley, I wonder if he does indeed go, the wage freed up will be used to bring in a full back as cover?

Good stuff. A decen't window overall from McInnes (assuming Stockley leaves). Getting rid of Storey and Stockley was imperative. I can see Maynard joining them in January for another punt for 6 months. However, he was right to bring in Maynard given we hadn't got May in and overall it's been quite decent given the departures. Hopefully we have enough between Stewart and GMS to make up one decent player!

I suppose we need to ask another question, do we need another Central Defender?

As most will know, I am a big fan of O'Connor's, but I know the jury is still out with a good few, Reynolds has split opinion and a few are now saying Considine is a weak link, be it LB or CB. Obviously Arnason is back, but not had a look in thus far, probably due to match fitness, maybe he'll feature more after the break.

We are 100% fine middle to front, but maybe another Centre Back or Full Back wouldn't go a miss. I suppose at the end of the day, our only defeat has came to Apollon, we've got maximum points in the league and are in the next round of the League Cup.

Would be nice to think getting Stockley off the wage bill might free up some cash for a central defender.  Been saying it for weeks now, bit of a stuck record, but:

Reynolds: was an excellent player for us for 2 or 3 seasons out of form for so long now it's hard to imagine he's coming back.  Not good enough on the past couple of season's form.

O'Connor: flatters to deceive IMO - spells where he looks solid, interspersed with games where he's Bambi on ice, often in key games.

Considine:  usually at left back because he's a weak link in the middle, as he showed once again yesterday.

Arneson: not buying the "not match fit" line.  Professional players maintain fitness in the close season these days.  OK they lose 5% not playing, but a guy who came on in a European match 3 or 4 weeks ago has had plenty of time to get as fit as he'll get without actually playing.  If he can't force his way into our back line on current form I think there are issues - injury/legs gone/just too old/not motivated - take your pick.

We need someone else, in fact there's a good case for saying two someone elses.  We've spent a lot of our budget on having a very strong bench, and while that's welcome if it's at the expense of a solid defence we will live to regret it.  Possibly Deek's first very major blunder.

Would be nice to think getting Stockley off the wage bill might free up some cash for a central defender.  Been saying it for weeks now, bit of a stuck record, but:

Reynolds: was an excellent player for us for 2 or 3 seasons out of form for so long now it's hard to imagine he's coming back.  Not good enough on the past couple of season's form.

O'Connor: flatters to deceive IMO - spells where he looks solid, interspersed with games where he's Bambi on ice, often in key games.

Considine:  usually at left back because he's a weak link in the middle, as he showed once again yesterday.

Arneson: not buying the "not match fit" line.  Professional players maintain fitness in the close season these days.  OK they lose 5% not playing, but a guy who came on in a European match 3 or 4 weeks ago has had plenty of time to get as fit as he'll get without actually playing.  If he can't force his way into our back line on current form I think there are issues - injury/legs gone/just too old/not motivated - take your pick.

We need someone else, in fact there's a good case for saying two someone elses.  We've spent a lot of our budget on having a very strong bench, and while that's welcome if it's at the expense of a solid defence we will live to regret it.  Possibly Deek's first very major blunder.

You have to wonder with Arneson. We signed him right before the Siroki away game which was July 20 so the guy has been here over a month. Is that not enough time to get fit? We needed at least one central defender to replace big Ash - don't see the decision being to sign Arneson as back up to Reynolds/O'Connor and the fact that we just saw OConnor and Considine in the middle, something is wrong in my eyes...