Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer transfer window

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome aboard Dominic. Versatile, left footed & defensive. Pretty much what most wanted on here?

"I only heard there was definite interest from Aberdeen this morning. Since then it has been a stressful day to get it over the line. I am delighted to get it done.

"As soon as I found out about the attention from Aberdeen I was very interested. I spoke to Russ Richardson, I spoke to the manager, but even before speaking to them I knew it was a great move. It is such a great club. I know how well they have done the past couple of seasons and how well they have started this year. It will be great to be a part of it.

"I have done my research and I am sure the club have done their research on me as well. It is a perfect fit for me and hopefully it is a perfect fit for the club.

"I was up in the Championship and very much enjoyed my time in Scotland. This is going to be a higher level but I believe I am ready for it and very much looking forward to the challenge.

"I just want to play. I see myself as a defensive player. Whether that be at centre half or as a holding midfielder, that is where I see myself and where I will be looking to play for the club."

Left footed central defender who can play left back and holding mid, all positions we have limited options. A player with experience and someone we've actually heard of. Don't care who he played for before, welcome aboard!!

Can't say I'd ever heard of him! Interesting to know how these things work, was he someone Deek had an eye on, or just the backup for our better options? I'm assuming he wasn't one of our first choices, given it's a loan from a league one team (although Logan was too wasn't he, or were they championship?). Anyway, whether he's a success or not is neither here nor there I suppose, it's just great that we've got a manager who is seeing what we're all the seeing. He's sorted out the key roles of striker, wide areas, midfield and defence and let those players go that needed to be ditched. There were plenty on here that might have been happy keeping Storey or Stockley despite them not being good enough, but Deek made the right call at the right time, making sure they were replaced before ditching them.

Overall, it's been a pretty decent summer. Not all of our signings are going to make it (I'm going to take a punt on Maynard not making it past Jan and GMS and Arneson not being here next season), but it would be very difficult to expect them all to fit the bill. The good thing is he's given himself a high chance of success by targeting key areas of the pitch and building a squad capable of having a few options for each of those positions. Obviously, he's been greatly assisted by the rise of Wright, which has taken a lot of the pressure off. Hopefully that'll be added to with some good minutes for both Ross and Harvie who look like they might be the next youngsters to come through. Good stuff Deek, a decent season ahead hopefully.

Well, can't say I know much aboit him but he certainly sounds like what we need. Will be interesting to see where he ends up on the pitch but the versatility gives us options. Logan came from top end of the championship, but he was their 3Rd choice, but again, that's neither here nor there. Clearly not the first target but he knew what we needed. Really good summer, on paper, probably the best we've had in many a year. Well done AFC  :thumbsup:

Not sure we have a lot of spare cash contracts have been improved and extended we have spent what nearly 500k on transfers . Apathy from support isnt helping another 3-4k season tickets may have allowed some more flex in budget.

Saying that we continue to spunk money on Milne's vanity project and pay execs 6k per week.

That being said are we simply incapable of bringing through a good cb from the youth teams, other teams seem able to do it bar us ? Maybe need to re-evaluate system?

Said it before, stop investing in youth and plough it back into first team

Well, can't say I know much aboit him but he certainly sounds like what we need. Will be interesting to see where he ends up on the pitch but the versatility gives us options. Logan came from top end of the championship, but he was their 3Rd choice, but again, that's neither here nor there. Clearly not the first target but he knew what we needed. Really good summer, on paper, probably the best we've had in many a year. Well done AFC  :thumbsup:

Too early to say, Manc. Hope you are right. Time will tell. Hayes and McGinn are massive losses. Great to see us get another defender in. Saturday was obviously the tipping point as we were shocking.

Wee look over at some Hun forums and now freshly showered and disinfected.  It looks like on the whole they rated this boy quite highly, with a minority of dissenting voices. There seemend a pretty strong desire to take him back at the end of his loan contract and an assumption he might not be gettable.

Worry might be that he doesn't have the physique to be a commanding centre-half, or the experience to be a leader at the back.  Failure at Rotherham isn't encouraging either, but he wouldn't be the first to be decent at SPL level after struggling in England.

Jury's out 'til we see him, but cautious optimism seems warranted.

Failure at Rotherham isn't encouraging either, but he wouldn't be the first to be decent at SPL level after struggling in England.

Did he fail at Rotherham though? Or was he just not their manager's cup of tea? One man's meat......an all at, ken?

Anyway welcome aboard loon, here's to you lifting plenty silverware whilst you're here! :thumbsup:

Taken from the ever reliable Daily Record -

Aberdeen have failed to land their top deadline-day target and look to have concluded their business for this window.

We told you earlier how Derek McInnes had a player at the top of his list. We say ‘list’ but it comprised just one.

However, they have missed out on the player and are now unlikely to dip back into the market.

Never say never, though!

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ben Heneghan, who has just joined Sheffield United, was a target? In any case, I reckon we won't be adding to the squad. Arnason still to make a contribution and I think he'll feature a bit more after the break.

Reckon Heneghan was a pretty good shout min.  Ball definitely looks like he was our backup option.

Sure I saw an interview with Ball where he said he knew about the move in the morning so don't think he was a back up choice. More likely the Record just hadnt a f@ckin clue, printed that we were after someone on the off chance and when nothing had happened by 8 o'clock said that we had missed our target and that we had concluded our business for the window. Us putting out that we had got Ball in just as the clock turned to midnight made them look like the arseholes they really are...

Did he fail at Rotherham though? Or was he just not their manager's cup of tea? One man's meat......an all at, ken?

Anyway welcome aboard loon, here's to you lifting plenty silverware whilst you're here! :thumbsup:

McGinn failed at Celtic, May failed in England, Lewis failed in England, even DM failed at Bristol Rovers. None of that means anything, the new guys could all excel here.

Bottom line is that all things considered it's been an excellent window. Now it's down to coaching and tactics!!

Sure I saw an interview with Ball where he said he knew about the move in the morning so don't think he was a back up choice. More likely the Record just hadnt a f@ckin clue, printed that we were after someone on the off chance and when nothing had happened by 8 o'clock said that we had missed our target and that we had concluded our business for the window. Us putting out that we had got Ball in just as the clock turned to midnight made them look like the arseholes they really are...

That is also quite possible  :laughing:

I'm glad we have got a defensive option in, as we needed it, but again surprised that once again we are taking in a fairly inexperienced player whilst our own youth set up seems to be ignored.

Maybe the standard of our youth team isn't good enough, which leads to more questions, but for the amount of money we invest in youth we get very little return from it, something which worries me greatly.

I hope the loon works out though, nae his fault we dinna play much of our own young players and hoping he can offer us something at the back which we have been lacking.

Constantly hearing folk moaning about youth not getting a chance. Our youth players aren't good enough. When they are they'll get their chance. See Wright, Scott.  Leaving the fate of your season in the hands of the kids is fine - if they're not shite. And by all accounts our current crop is shite. The manager sees this every day so I'm glad he's brought in someone more experienced for the time being at least.