Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The January window

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if Maddison is worth 6 million and Hayes and now Logan being linked with teams in England so far, what's the value of our players based on Maddison -

Hayes 3 mill?

Logan 2 mill?

Very interesting angle.

Maddison isn't "worth" 6m. That's what Norwich paid Coventry so it's the valuation that they put on him at the time.

Coventry might have been rubbing their hands at that and negotiated a cracking deal. They might have been hoping for 2 or 3m but after selling the positives hard, Delia coughed up. The chairwoman might have been slightly inebriated during the negotiations, following some excellent hospitality laid on by the midlanders, a deliberate strategy possibly.

Yeah yeah I know, highly unlikely that Delia was involved but for all we know, Coventry were expecting 10m and it was Norwich who negotiated hard. A product is only "worth" what someone is prepared to pay for it so let's take it that Maddison is 6 million's worth for the purpose of player comparisons.

When Norwich paid that for a teenager, they were buying potential. In an inflated market of the rare gems being worth squllions, they saw something BIG in him. Personally, I don't think he will ever be bought again for half that amount. He's got great feet, is fast in the head, has a mean free kick on him, can jink his way around people but for the top level, where 8 figure valuations are almost a default, I don't think he's physically strong enough to hold off challenges, shield and protect his ball and stand up to the hard and fast rigours of the EPL.

If Maddison at his age is worth 6m, Hayes at his age must be worth at least 3m as you say and I agree that Logan is the next most valuable asset and 2m looks like a reasonable sum... if Maddison is worth that much.

So I agree 100% with your logic. However, if Maddison was ours and we were in a selling market, I would let him go for 2.5m, Hayes for 1.5m and Logan for 1.25m. The leagues where they can go might be paying more in today's climate but I don't really know much about the championship, what they pay their players and what they spend. I just don't see any of those three ever being top flight footballers.

I don't think we should be selling anyone though. We're nowhere near the best club in the land and it should be our ambition to compete for the SPFL. Our current squad isn't good enough so selling our best players makes no sense at all.

I'm definitely not one to normally think this way but why are we getting all the transfer attention? Why aren't players being linked to leaving Celtic, Rangers, or even Hearts?? We've had McGinn to Hearts, Hayes to Cardiff, Considine to the huns, and now Logan to Ipswich. This can't do anything positive for us, media are a bunch of wankers. Can't wait until the window closes. This whole transfer window system is an absolute shit way of doing business.