Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The January window

Anyone think a move for Jason Cummings in January is a good idea? Seems to have lost his way a little this year (or perhaps injured, I don't know) since I've not heard much about him. Surely we can pay cash plus one of Pawlett/Storey/Taylor/Reynolds?? Rooney and Stockley aren't exactly banging in the goals......although being in and out of the line up weekly doesn't help.

My hibbie mate says when he's off form he's as good as playing with a man down. I don't think we can afford a luxury player like that. We need someone who is proven.  What is clear, we need to spend money.  McInnes' inability to have good transfer windows (in particular the last two) has seriously cost us this season.  I hope he's got some ideas which are going to pay dividends straight away.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As has been stated, on numerous occasions, for a long time now, the only area that really needs strengthened is central midfield.

We are fine in the GK department, we have 2 superb full backs ( If only 1 of them would be played there consistently ) out wide we have Hayes/McGinn and up front we have Rooney, Storey & Stockley, all capable of doing whatever is required, admittedly though, I would like to see us play 2 up front, be it Rooney/Storey or Stockley/Storey, I still believe we should not be playing with 2 sitting midfielders, especially at home.

I am still relatively happy with O'Connor & Considine as our CB pairing, so really, that just leaves midfield. We definitely need a Draper type player, McLean will move into the Maddison role when he inevitably leaves, and that is where he should be, Ryan Jack is not capable of providing that combativeness that we need in there, he's not a bad player, he's just not got the ingredients to be our captain and make that role his own.

What's Rostyn Griffiths up too? Over 6ft, plays in that role and has been linked with us a few times in the past few windows. May just be what we need.

I wouldn't say it's the only area needing strengthened. I'd say we definitely need two central midfielders. Maddison leaves and McLean goes back to his position so we're missing one in there, plus that guarantees Jack a game. Storie doesn't play so any injury or suspension and Shinnie is back in midfield. We need two additions in there for sure.

When Hayes or McGinn doesn't play Burns plays. A loan player who hasn't done much, when does he return to his club? Wright doesn't play so I'd like another wide guy because both Hayes and McGinn need back up.

Storey doesn't play and I'm thinking he leaves in January. Neither Rooney or Stockley are having good seasons (mainly due to the inconsistent starting/playing) so why not take a chance with Cummings?

If i was Jason Cumming,I would look at us as a bit of a sideways move,despite being in different leagues.Hibs on the up,SC winners,us a wee bit.. meh??

Priority is the right midfielder,and if we can stretch to a decent defender too it might be enough for the missing confidence,or belief,half the problem IMO

Media reporting that James Maddison is going to be staying until the end of the season.

Thought I would be delighted if this was to be the case but strangely not convinced this is a good move as it is going to delay finding a long term replacement unless we get someone on a pre contract to replace him in the summer.

Thought I would be delighted if this was to be the case but strangely not convinced this is a good move as it is going to delay finding a long term replacement unless we get someone on a pre contract to replace him in the summer.

It's really a different type of midfielder that we need and this happening will probably mean we don't resolve that issue.  Maddison's a good player but we're not seeing enough end product from him.

It's really a different type of midfielder that we need and this happening will probably mean we don't resolve that issue.  Maddison's a good player but we're not seeing enough end product from him.

Bobby you've more aptly put what I meant. I just didn't voice it so eloquently :thumbsup:

We get the Privelige of having a brilliant forward playing midfielder with tons of skill and fans here are apathetic.

Wtf guys.

Come on.

The guys surely a fantastic asset and we should be popping champagne that he will be with us longer.

;D

Don't think anyone is disappointed or apathetic about him staying, he's a good player but he's certainly not as good as you're making out above. As I mentioned, the end product is missing with him and if him staying means we miss out on a more industrious player for the middle of the park then that means the team remains unbalanced.  Is that worth him staying, in all honesty?

Great news but doesn't change the fact the team is incredibly imbalanced and we're extremely lightweight. If this means we're stuck with McLean and Jack behind Maddison then this isn't that big a deal, the same problems exist. Sign two hard bastards to play behind JM then this is great and we'd probably see even more from JM.

Don't think anyone is disappointed or apathetic about him staying, he's a good player but he's certainly not as good as you're making out above. As I mentioned, the end product is missing with him and if him staying means we miss out on a more industrious player for the middle of the park then that means the team remains unbalanced.  Is that worth him staying, in all honesty?

I had read some comments on abmad too

:o

In my opinion no. Very talented player but a complete luxury. Offers very little that McLean doesn't in that role and would free up a wage for a player we actually need. Don't get me wrong he's a talented lad but he does fuck all defensively and isn't the revelation he's made out to be offensively. If his wage is used wisely then we will be a better team.

Saying that if he stays and we strengthen properly then happy days.

I kinda agree with Edinburgh but my take is that while Maddison is most effective centrally he can be used in any of the 3 attacking mid positions. With him staying Storey can definitely leave, as can potentially Burns. Morris too. Hopefully this frees up money plus with further funds made available we can pick up 2 tougher more definsive minded center mids. With a more balanced team we'd more likely get more from existing players.

I don't get the Maddison comments.

He's a kid. He's got a lot to learn. And if we had a decent personality in the middle of the park, he can learn quicker.

The potential in his feet is exceptional but without direction, without guidance, without any proper management, he's going to learn slower as he's having to work it all out for himself.

He's got the best feet we've seen at Pittodrie since Sone Aluko and whilst he had an obvious weakness that he was never going to overcome, he at least got to the EPL for a while, Ryan Fraser being only the second ex-AFC that I can remember in recent years, possibly decades.

Maddison was bought for £6 million and when was the last time we saw a player of this calibre? It wasn't the finished article Norwich bought, it was that someone saw his potential. We saw it in the first 15 minutes at Dens, even before he scored his goal, one of only two of course, the other being slightly good.

In my view we're not using him properly because our midfield is a mess, one that lacks bite, a midfield that has no cohesion and fluidity, devoid of tactical strategy and relying solely on individual flashes of competence to move the ball to a teammate and move on.

As for his future, I fear that he might be too physically lightweight (like Aluko) to make it all the way in the EPL and whilst we've seen a number of shots from him missing the target by miles, it's too early to say that he has no end product although this may well prove to be a very astute observation that could curtail his potential. I think his physical limitations are more likely to mean he won't get to the top of the game though but at least he has a chance, unlike every single one of our journeymen professionals.

You could be right Rocket, but I'm not sure how that matters? He's someone else's player, and we need a good player right now. In my opinion, McLean is a much more finished player and far more useful to us if used properly (in that role). Maddison will be a better player, unless he fucks it up for himself, but right now and until the end of the season we'd be better served by a strong tackling midfielder. That said, it shouldn't (and won't be) one or the other and so I'd love to keep him and get a good holding midfielder too. I think one good thing to come out of last night was the notion that we should shoehorn him into the team just to have him there and upset the balance. He should be used behind the striker(s) only and allow the rotation of our midfield so that we can have a strong end to the season.