Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The January window

He is indeed someone else's player and our absolute priority is a Scott Brown/Simmie type of breaker, not that we would normally put those two in the same breath but for illustration purposes and from the present and the past, it works.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a hard bastard. A clever playmaker can glue it all together too, Jim Bett being the best example in AFC history these last 25 years. It's just that we haven't had any strength in the middle of the park since god knows how long, probably Severin that it's been painfully absent for too long. Maddison's not that player obviously but neither is he good enough to take the Jim Bett creative controller role.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could be right Rocket, but I'm not sure how that matters? He's someone else's player, and we need a good player right now. In my opinion, McLean is a much more finished player and far more useful to us if used properly (in that role). Maddison will be a better player, unless he fucks it up for himself, but right now and until the end of the season we'd be better served by a strong tackling midfielder. That said, it shouldn't (and won't be) one or the other and so I'd love to keep him and get a good holding midfielder too. I think one good thing to come out of last night was the notion that we should shoehorn him into the team just to have him there and upset the balance. He should be used behind the striker(s) only and allow the rotation of our midfield so that we can have a strong end to the season.

I'd agree with this. McLean has shown that if he is utilised In the right position he's the player we signed. However far too often , this season in particular, his position has been sacrificed to shoehorn Maddison in and he's not delivered. It should have been one or the other playing as its not only a detriment to the team but their own development. If it gets confirmed I'm happy but it shouldn't be at the expense of one of our own and especially at the expense of what we need.

In this window, we need a central midfield player who is a better and more influential footballer than Jack or McLean, which shouldn't be difficult.

I'm not mentioning Shinnie as he's not the answer and should never be played in midfield. The only reason he has been played there is because of recruitment failings, AFC not having a leader figure in the middle.

The middle of the park is usually where a game is won or lost. More than half the team play in it. In a 4-4-2, the full backs support the offence and in our current squad, McGinn and Hayes do a lot of work picking up the ball from just inside the opposition half and working the wings to get balls in to the box. Logan is always looking to support the flanks and Shinnie at LB isn't slow in coming forward. Without a good personality in the middle though, there's no focal point, no fulcrum, no individual to build it all around.

Looking at the best in history, Zidane and Bryan Robson stick out in my mind (and there will be many others of course), players with the individual power and ability to control the outcome of a game of 22 men. This is such a key role that the chances of AFC picking up one is almost zero next month. The good ones are all under contract and Milne would never release funds to buy one away from his current club.

Maddison isn't the luxury. With a decent controller on the pitch, JM would play off him, linking with JH and NM on the wings and with Rooney up front in creating goals. It's Jack or McLean that gets benched when the player we don't have gets recruited.

Here's my strongest AFC team for the rest of the season.

Lewis

Logan - AOC - Consi - Shinnie

Maddison - TBR (to be recruited) - McLean

McGinn - Rooney - Hayes

This isn't a strict 4-3-3. It's between that and 4-5-1, McGinn and Hayes being good enough footballers with good enough engines to plough forward from the half way line.

I think Maddison is a super player and I'll be delighted if he stays until the end of the season. However, if we don't sign one or two imposing and more physical central midfielders then I feel Maddison is a luxury we cannot afford. McLean is wasted at holding mid, he's a natural attacking mid competing with Maddison for playing time in the same position, and McLean is proabaly regressing as a result of playing out of position. We're so powder puff in midfield and need a more balanced team. Add that holding mid and I also think we'll get more out of Maddison and the other attack minded players.

Saw virtually nothing from Ali Crawford yesterday. With Maddison staying (is this confirmed??) I assume if there was ever any interest that's gone, although maybe a precontract? With potentially losing McGinn as well as Maddison in the summer maybe still an option?

No never saw much from Crawford yesterday,but looks more a trickier player than the imposing grafter we're looking for.

A few folk think Tansey is on his way.Without setting pulses racing,he's probably more what we're looking for,out of whats available/in our price range.

If Consi was asked to play in central defence,has Reynolds not played at left back? Seem to remember him there a few seasons ago,but cant remember the verdict.

If anyone thinks tansey is a tough tackling grafter they are going to be incredibly disappointed.

^^^This. He's more of the same of what we've got. Can't believe McInnes was after him last year.

And Reynolds is fucking awful at left back, because he doesn't like having a football anywhere near his feet.

^^^This. He's more of the same of what we've got. Can't believe McInnes was after him last year.

And Reynolds is fucking awful at left back, because he doesn't like having a football anywhere near his feet.

Absolutely, we should be looking to offload him if we can this window.

James Maddison has extended his loan deal with Aberdeen until the end of the season.

The 20-year-old’s loan from the Championship Canaries was set to expire on January 4 but Alex Neil has agreed to allow the attacker to remain at Pittodrie until the end of current campaign.

Dons boss Derek McInnes confirmed the news to the Aberdeen Evening Express, saying:

We have had good news with James Maddison being able to extend his loan.

Norwich have confirmed to me that James will be staying.

His loan finishes on January 4 and the view from Norwich is that he will extend until the end of the season before then.

Also, Ash Taylor quote in relation to staying here longer -  “I’ve loved every minute up here. The gaffer has been brilliant, the team is settled and my wife has settled up here now. We have a kid now too and we’re really settled here.”

Hmmmm...

Aye saw that as well.

I'm not totally against keeping Taylor provided he isn't deemed to be an automatic first pick and not on a huge wage. If however his wage stops us signing better option then off you pop.

Can't see Taylor, Reynolds and Morris all being here after the Jan window closes

Well play him then McInnes.

The best midfielder I ever played with, a mate I hadn't seen for a while said to me at the substitution v. Hamilton "now we'll see a real footballer", which I agreed with.

The facts are that he came on after 61 minutes and 7 minutes later, the best chance we had all game we scored. It was Maddison who created the opportunity following good interchange with Logan and his powerful shot which the keeper spilled to Rooney. We had tons of possession up to that point but I disagree we were missing chances. We weren't creating any because the final ball in wasn't good enough and Maddison himself hit a couple of awful free kicks.

On his debut, Maddison scored from a free kick aged 17 at Coventry. The fact they let a 17 year old take it speaks volumes. He is a quality potential and he should start for us. The Rangers game at Pittodrie was decided by him, the goal of the season and yet genius McInnes only played him for the 2nd half.

The reason we conceded possession to Hamilton after we scored was nothing to do with Maddison and his workrate or youth and inexperience and everything to do with McInnes who directed Jack to drop back. It's not just the OF he pays too much respect to. He wanted to sit in for a 2-1 and this type of mentality is loser mentality.

To be fair, Maddisons last couple of games before he was dropped were not his best. Quite a few slack passes and gave away possession. Not that I'm saying none of the other midfielders did any better like.

Perhaps a bit of bench time wasn't such a bad thing. It shouldn't be overlooked that we didn't play too bad in those games. Even against hamilton I thought we looked quite sharp going forward both without and with Maddison.

Very true CvB. Nobody should be immune from being benched. It's all about timing.

Whilst he would have benefitted from knowing he's not an automatic, the fact is that he is more than good enough to be automatic. I think dropping him for the Rangers game at home was a mistake, although he came on at HT and I agree that he needed to be rested v. Motherwell. But only for one game in my view. We were huffing and puffing v. Hamilton and it was his introduction that delivered the 3 points.

It's the continuing of Shinnie in midfield that kills me and fucks it all up.

Certainly need a no nonsense tough tackler in the middle, we simply dont have one. McLean is very good in an advanced role in midfield as is young Maddie.

Problem for me is Ryan Jack, i would have no hesitation in getting rid , he has to be the most overated player we have had, & never captain of the ship either.

I have no problems in the c/b position either apart from Reynolds (who should only be back up at best).

Either 2 of Taylor,Considine or OConnor will do me.

Another different sort of mobile striker i think we need, (has Storey done something wrong ? lazy in training ?)

So tackler in the middle & a nippy striker please.

Myself along with a few others said on Abmad years ago that we should get rid of Jack.

They seemed to miss the point.

He may do his duty very well (holding defensive midfielder shite blah blah) but he's a liability in the fact we could replace him with a player we need.

We have a 4 man defence to defend against attacks.

We need a midfielder who can be tough going forward and going back.

Jack is neither.

Barry robson could be tough and play great attackibg balls into spaces--jack wont.

he stands out for me as the 1 position we need to replace.

Doesnt sound too hopeful on the transfer front(from a McInnes BBC interview) -

"All being well, we have a squad already which should see us through to the end of the season.

"But the January window is an opportunity to see what's out there and, if we feel there is a player out there who can help our cause, we will maybe look to do something."

Full link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38459893

Myself along with a few others said on Abmad years ago that we should get rid of Jack.

They seemed to miss the point.

He may do his duty very well (holding defensive midfielder shite blah blah) but he's a liability in the fact we could replace him with a player we need.

We have a 4 man defence to defend against attacks.

We need a midfielder who can be tough going forward and going back.

Jack is neither.

Barry robson could be tough and play great attackibg balls into spaces--jack wont.

he stands out for me as the 1 position we need to replace.

I find his continual slowing down of the game irritating to be honest, how many times have we seen players bombing forward to then see Jack turn back for no reason, & play the simple wee pass to a c/b, he seems to be applauded for that by his fans.

Robson had a sublime range of passing that Ryan could only dream of.

For me, he could easily be replaced.