Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The January window

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, now that Hayes, Reynolds, and Jack are out, plus Stockley is injured, we're at the stage where DM proves he got the squad right....... or not. Do we have strength in depth or are we paper thin? This is where Pawlett proves (or not) whether he's worth a new contract - scoring a couple recently is one thing but now he needs to bring it and dominate games like Hayes would. Time for Storey to prove he's worth keeping and produce off the bench, time for Ash to show he can be relied upon, and time for O'Connor to prove he shouldn't have been dropped in the first place. Time for McLean to prove he can be relied upon when we're stretched in center mid.

Going to be an interesting few weeks...... we've finished poorly the last three seasons, can we do it differently this time around? Time for players and the manager to really prove themselves.

Think Pawlett played well yesterday. I'm not sure where the form has come from as it has been missing for the past two years, probably down to wanting to earn a new deal. If he continues I'm happy enough, whether it's enough to earn a new deal, given his poor performances over the past two years, I'm not sure.

Was surprised Hayes played yesterday, hopefully wasn't too much of a risk as him being out at critical times of the season.

The team has resilience and whilst I agree we don't have sufficient depth in certain positions, the team rarely looked troubled (only saw the second half) and hopefully can gather round and see this period out. How long is jack out for?

Stockley and Rooney doesn't work, why not try Rooney and Storey together?

First 10 minutes Partick were the better team till our midfield sorted out what they were doing. After that it was all one way traffic though we dodged a bullet in 90th minute god knows how that Partick centre half missed with the header from 3 yards out.

Cant agree about Rooney/Storey. Rooney has been utter horse cack for months, he is still knocking in goals but we create so many chances in most games that he is bound to stick away one every 3 games or so. But in the other 2 games where he doesnt score he contributes the square root of fk all. These are games where we (usually) win in spite of him.

I'd bench him for 3 or 4 games and give Stockley/Storey a wee chance together. Rooney can always come on at 60 mins or even half time if things are going badly and a wee spell where he doesnt start might freshen him up for the Cup semi and hopefully final at the erse end of the season.

Pawlett has indeed bucked his ideas up over the past month. Cant ever see him being a regular starter going forward but I'd have no problem with him getting a further 2 years with him being used primarily as an impact sub and covering for the midfield when injuries and suspensions take their toll.

Think Pawlett played well yesterday. I'm not sure where the form has come from as it has been missing for the past two years, probably down to wanting to earn a new deal.

[/quote

Another lazy cliche that players somehow amble along for a year or two and then are able to pick and choose the games that they'll make more of an effort to be decent in

Pawlett's been ineffective in the last two year or two but that it isn't down to a poor attitude or lack of effort

Another lazy cliche that players somehow amble along for a year or two and then are able to pick and choose the games that they'll make more of an effort to be decent in

Pawlett's been ineffective in the last two year or two but that it isn't down to a poor attitude or lack of effort

Who the fuck do you think you are?

PP showed more fight yesterday that I remember him ever showing. He was brave. He was committed and he was surprisingly resilient. If someone wants to offer his opinion as to why this might be, you don't slag him off without offering an explanation for your insult, an alternative point of view.

Or perhaps you know so little about fitba and/or AFC you couldn't see the massive difference between PP yesterday and almost every other time he plays.

Arse.

Who the fuck do you think you are?

PP showed more fight yesterday that I remember him ever showing. He was brave. He was committed and he was surprisingly resilient. If someone wants to offer his opinion as to why this might be, you don't slag him off without offering an explanation for your insult, an alternative point of view.

Or perhaps you know so little about fitba and/or AFC you couldn't see the massive difference between PP yesterday and almost every other time he plays.

Arse.

Well at least you've found an appropriate way to sign off the end of your posts.

Lucky enough to have been supporting the Dons since the Ally Macleod era. And unlike you , I haven't deserted them during the bad times

Read my post again , arse

Well at least you've found an appropriate way to sign off the end of your posts.

Lucky enough to have been supporting the Dons since the Ally Macleod era. And unlike you , I haven't deserted them during the bad times

Read my post again , arse

I just did. If you agree that Pawlett was surprisingly good yesterday - as anyone can see - and you say it wasn't for him having a poor attitude nor a lack of effort previously, then why? You've already ruled out the possibility of contract timings? Why was he so much better yesterday? Why has he been so ineffective in his recent years? In your extraordinarily high opinion, one that doesn't need an explanation it seems. You slag off another poster without having the balls to present a counter view.

To Edinburgh don - why did you delete your address to A96 in the introductions section?

Think Pawlett played well yesterday. I'm not sure where the form has come from as it has been missing for the past two years, probably down to wanting to earn a new deal.

[/quote

A lazy cliche? Hardly.  He's done square root of fuck all despite being given more chances than some of the youth players. He was very good for one season with us as well as being very good for St. Johnstone but despite us knowing what he is capable of, he hasn't been performing for the best part of two years.  Of course it's just my opinion and probably a cynical observation but for one reason or another it just wasn't working out.  If he keeps this up, gets a new deal and continues the same form then happy days.  He wouldn't be the first and nor will he be the last to play for a deal.  Lack of effort wasn't what I would label against him, I was starting to doubt whether he was good enough.

A lazy cliche? Hardly.  He's done square root of fuck all despite being given more chances than some of the youth players. He was very good for one season with us as well as being very good for St. Johnstone but despite us knowing what he is capable of, he hasn't been performing for the best part of two years.  Of course it's just my opinion and probably a cynical observation but for one reason or another it just wasn't working out.  If he keeps this up, gets a new deal and continues the same form then happy days.  He wouldn't be the first and nor will he be the last to play for a deal.  Lack of effort wasn't what I would label against him, I was starting to doubt whether he was good enough.

As already mentioned, I'm sure the new deal has some influence on it, but it's worth saying that pawlett has seemed to have had more consistent game time lately now he's not having to share minutes with the likes of Burns etc. I'm sure more game time has helped him find his rhythm and improve his performances too, must be very hard to have any impact on games when he gets 10-15 mins every so often. Which doesn't seem to have been given much consideration.

I'm pretty sure the confidence boost from his recent good performances  hasn't hurt either...

He's never been one to be accused of a lack of effort so I don't see it being a case of him not trying until he's almost out of contract, I do get it'd be an extra motivation though.

I'm going to give a reason...

I think that Pawlett has benefited from our reduced squad size. He was only really getting a 10-15 minute spell here and there earlier in the season, with chances having to be shared out between him and Burns (Monakana etc in previous years). Given Pawlett's game is as much about movement as it is impact runs on the ball, he really needs at least 20 minutes or more to actually make an impact. He needs a lot of time to get even a few touches of the ball.    That results in him charging about like a headless chicken if he's only getting 10-15 minutes here and there. I think also that anytime he starts a game, he knows that he's not going to finish it. He looked perfectly fit yesterday and was still causing problems for Thistle yet you always knew he was going to be the first one subbed. It's like there's an issue with his fitness or something. Either way, I think that must surely play on his mind during games, as it's like he tries to hard at times, tearing about off the ball instead of making measured runs. Perhaps his contract running out has focused his mind a little, and I don't have a problem with that. I think folk expect footballers to be different to the rest of us in some way, but that's probably unrealistic. Folk get a bit stale in a job quite often and take things for granted but would never get accused of laziness or just being after the money. Hopefully he's found himself again as it were. I think he offers something different to our other players in that role so long may it continue.

Edit: just realised ED post much the same, nevermind. Interesting to note that Pawlett hasn't played 90 minutes in 2 seasons now. Even 3 seasons ago he only completed 6 games. That's nuts. It surely must play on his mind.

Thought Stockley put in a good shift yesterday and I agree with people's Pawlett comments. I think when he heard everyone singing 'Peter Pawlett Baby' it went to his head and he thought he was bobby big time. The fact that his contract is expiring and he's probably getting little interest from teams at our level, plus having Maddison and Christie come in who pretty much play his position, he seems to have got his shit together. He's certainly working much harder as a result, and performance has improved.....finally.

Thought Stockley put in a good shift yesterday and I agree with people's Pawlett comments. I think when he heard everyone singing 'Peter Pawlett Baby' it went to his head and he thought he was bobby big time. The fact that his contract is expiring and he's probably getting little interest from teams at our level, plus having Maddison and Christie come in who pretty much play his position, he seems to have got his shit together. He's certainly working much harder as a result, and performance has improved.....finally.

Very much this.

He's a real asset on form and it's great to see him returning to something resembling that. 

First 10 minutes Partick were the better team till our midfield sorted out what they were doing. After that it was all one way traffic though we dodged a bullet in 90th minute god knows how that Partick centre half missed with the header from 3 yards out.

Cant agree about Rooney/Storey. Rooney has been utter horse cack for months, he is still knocking in goals but we create so many chances in most games that he is bound to stick away one every 3 games or so. But in the other 2 games where he doesnt score he contributes the square root of fk all. These are games where we (usually) win in spite of him.

I'd bench him for 3 or 4 games and give Stockley/Storey a wee chance together. Rooney can always come on at 60 mins or even half time if things are going badly and a wee spell where he doesnt start might freshen him up for the Cup semi and hopefully final at the erse end of the season.

Pawlett has indeed bucked his ideas up over the past month. Cant ever see him being a regular starter going forward but I'd have no problem with him getting a further 2 years with him being used primarily as an impact sub and covering for the midfield when injuries and suspensions take their toll.

Blimey, that could have been me writing that, agree 100% with all that.

This is the last line of the article....RE Robbie Neilson

"Now he’s keen to get Pawlett’s signature over the line as he looks to step up his rebuilding plans."

Think it's pure speculation, pretty sure he wants to stay, especially with the doubt surrounding McGinn and Jack, there may be an opportunity for him with us.

This is the last line of the article....RE Robbie Neilson

"Now he’s keen to get Pawlett’s signature over the line as he looks to step up his rebuilding plans."

Think it's pure speculation, pretty sure he wants to stay, especially with the doubt surrounding McGinn and Jack, there may be an opportunity for him with us.

Thats what ED said when I told him it was the sun  ;D

• 3 months later...