Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

DT Politics Thread

Yeah, horrible looking wifie that Teresa May.  Reminds me of some horrible looking headmistress or a High Court judge.

David Cameron at least was leadership material and had a leadership aura but his decision to do EU referendum cost him his job.  Teresa May be going same way as Cameron - no expert or even interested in politics but I would guess she would have to resign if she gets no majority - no?  Milliband was just a posh berk that even younger people could not identify with.  Seems younger people (people with serious gripes about student loans, housing etc) REAL ISSUES may have made a statement to May.

This country is away to head into a massive period of uncertainty if this exit poll mularky is true.  Only thing certain is if Lib Dems go into partnership with Teresa May to form a govt then that guy (whatever his name is at Lib Dems) god help him.

Hung parliament. Holy shit balls

Inflate the Tories seats - no one ever admits to voting for those cunts.

David Cameron at least was leadership material and had a leadership aura but his decision to do EU referendum cost him his job.  Teresa May be going same way as Cameron

Cameron was a slimeball. Both of them are right of the right; horrible bastards.  Cameron was just better media-trained, same horrible ideals behind it.

Inflate the Tories seats - no one ever admits to voting for those cunts.

Cameron was a slimeball. Both of them are right of the right; horrible bastards.  Cameron was just better media-trained, same horrible ideals behind it.

Disclaimer: I'm not a fan of David Cameron or the Conservative party or any elite Oxbridge Eton type or a fan of any partisan political Party to be honest but I would guess any politician could see he (Cameron) at least was leadership material.  Even Nicola Surgeon said he was.

but from I just saw on TV a similar scenario existed in May 2010 and a coalition was formed between Lib Dems and Conservative.  From what I guess if Teresa May has called an election and lost out on gaining a majority she may have no option but to step aside leaving the way for Sturgeon, Corbyn and this other fella and probably throw in Sein Fein as well (according to Frankie Boyle).

Ok.  I'm just repeating parallels spoken about by BBC (2010 election had similar outcome) that election led to Lib Dems/Con coalition approach which led to the student fees fiasco.

Frankie Boyle made a pun on TV as to 'Sinn Fein MP's' joining a Corbyn coalition.  I suspect such an outcome was a joke given the impact it would have on Ireland 'question'.

Well, much better than expected, especially now a hung parliament has been confirmed. Shocked to see so many tory gains in Scotland, what the fuck is wrong with you up there!?! Glad to see we managed to kick the tory out in my local area, London showing that it has sense and marking a general shift against the tories. May must be greetin  :rofl:

Well, much better than expected, especially now a hung parliament has been confirmed. Shocked to see so many tory gains in Scotland, what the fuck is wrong with you up there!?! Glad to see we managed to kick the tory out in my local area, London showing that it has sense and marking a general shift against the tories. May must be greetin  :rofl:

Pretty much anyone against IndyRef2 had no option other than vote Tory, so one simple reason for their gains in my opinion.

Generally strange election night, with certainly more losers than winners. Reckon actually Labour is only party that has to be happy with their UK wide performance

Well, much better than expected, especially now a hung parliament has been confirmed. Shocked to see so many tory gains in Scotland, what the fuck is wrong with you up there!?!

This is all Sturgeon's fault IMHO.  The other parties have jumped on her rhetoric and hammered it home.

A sad day when I now live in a Tory seat!  :hammer:

However, it's fucking hilarious to see Salmond punted.  Done very little for his constituency other than turn up for many free buffets.

Pretty much anyone against IndyRef2 had no option other than vote Tory, so one simple reason for their gains in my opinion.

I think many voted for Labour in order to try and defeat the Tories at Westminister.  Corbyn has done well and they have recovered a bit in Scotland.

The last thing the SNP wanted was to call another referendum, but after the English decided they wanted to go back to the days of empire there was little option.

I don't like to take things down to personalities but I'm prepared to make an execption in this case.

KEEP BUBBLiN YOU HATCHET FACED BITCH, YOU FUCKED THAT UP BIG STYLE.

Aye, we'll find out later, but I reckon Scotland has saved May's airse here. I think she has just enough to retain her position until things calm down a little. A swing of 6 or 7 seats back to the SNP (or Labour) from Tory would have seen her position completely untenable. As it stands, she'll manage to throw together a government of some sort.

Two things really, the announcement of Indy Ref 2 was - in hindsight - an error. However, it was completely the correct decision given that there was no suggestion of an election at the time it was announced, so it's only in hindsight that it looks bad. A calculation that went wrong after the event really.

Secondly, at the risk of sounding patronising (and just being wrong..), I think the people of Scotland have misunderstood the Westminster elections slightly. It's purely a vote to say who represents you in the UK parliament, rather than the candidate who is going to improve your daily life via representation at Holyrood. The question is, or should be, are you best represented at Westminster by an SNP candidate or a Tory one? My opinion is that someone like Alex Salmond would be more likely to challenge the government of the day at Westminster over a Tory person who will simply be a messenger from parliament back to the people of the North East. Only if your views entirely align with those of the Tories, and indeed Theresa May, should you have voted Tory. To me, the Tory vote was a good way to give the SNP a bloody nose, and I think that the electorate has chosen the wrong time to do that (although I fully understand why, given the lack of options prior to a potential Independence Referendum).

In light of this, I think May has actually come out of this - in the long term - okay. Or at the very least the Tories have. With the absolute backing of the press, they'll re-build in time for the next election and they'll get enough backing to cobble through a brexit negotiation that is only slightly toned down from before (indeed, it'll end up being the type of Brexit that the Cameron/Osborne side of the party would have gone for). Meanwhile, they've effectively staved off the UK constitutional questions for some time. In the cold light of day, I think they'll take it. In fact, the only hope of anything alternative to this is if the internal Tory party brings her/it down, which is probably their biggest threat ironically.

Biggest down turn in the local NE economy since the last time the Tory's were in power, and the people of the North East save the Tory scum by keeping them in power???

I think there may be a new analogy to replace the Turkey/Christmas one.

Tories and DUP it is then. Hopefully the Quine tells thon pair of hun cunts to get fucked and state that she's decided to take over instead. That'd set the cat among them.

Surprised at that, wonder what compromises are being made?

I understand the DUP are essentially NI Tories but they want a separate NI within the UK, as their main political agenda. How does that fit with Tory "hard brexit"? and the resulting shit that will created in Ireland as a whole. Are they needing Teresa to build a wall???

Disappointed that the NE of Scotland has voted for THEM.

Interesting to see what will happen with Labour. Corbyn did bloody well considering he was up against the right wing press and a lot of his own party. I did notice the attacks on him, from the Labour Party, stopped a little in the run up, but where do they go from here. I would like to see Corbyn keep going and try and rebuild the party.

I think the SNP did well enough, they were never going to repeat 2015. Just so sad to see THEM get the support from Scotland which has handed, a power of sorts, to May, who really shouldn't be in a job after this fiascoof her own making.