Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

DT Politics Thread

I use these examples quite often along with the miners strike, destruction of the railways etc but in my rapidly advancing years I have come to realise I now live in the 'age of ignorance' which for me is ironic given so many people seem glued to smartphones which could give them access to actual knowledge.

Ravenscraig shut in 1992 (25 years ago)

The Poll tax riots were in 89/90 (27/27 years ago).

I know people my age who either don't know these events, forgot them, or (as is becoming way to common now) as it didn't affect them they considered them boring so their brain never took them in.

I've had people say things like 'yeah but that was ages ago, you should let it go'. I really wish I could let things go but I am cursed with a brain that refuses to switch off. I sometimes envy those who wander in a world of blissful ignorance and candy crush.

Today someone (born in 1989) asked me if the DUP were 'the catholic' party from Northern Ireland. I fear my response to that was perhaps a bit too aggressive than was justified.  ::)

I'm not so sure it's actual ignorance, merely feigned in an attempt to ease their ego's into accepting their lack of moral fibre.

• 4 weeks later...

Got a reply from the head honcho "guy" in the European Parliment today.

More than I got from the SNP MEP based in Dundee.

Dear Donsdaft,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me, and sorry for the delay in responding to you.

I fully understand the worries and uncertainty you feel at the moment as a consequence of Brexit.

We need, I believe, to look at what special arrangements could be put in place for individual citizens like you who want to continue their relationship with the European Union. That is why I will continue to push for citizens in the UK to be able to maintain their links with the EU post-Brexit.

I cannot guarantee that I will succeed with this. It will be extremely difficult. But I can promise you that I will do everything I can for people like you who feel European, did not vote for Brexit and are concerned that no one is listening to them.

I hope this reassures you that your voice is being heard and that I am doing all I can to fight for your rights.

Yours sincerely,

Guy Verhofstadt

• 1 month later...

Dugdale was the 6th permanent leader, been quite a few "acting" as you'd expect. One every 3 years. Probably about the same as the UK tories. I don't get her shite about how great it is she's leaving without controversy and with a stable party. Unfinished would surely be the only description of that?

Dugdale was the 6th permanent leader, been quite a few "acting" as you'd expect. One every 3 years. Probably about the same as the UK tories. I don't get her shite about how great it is she's leaving without controversy and with a stable party. Unfinished would surely be the only description of that?

She strikes me as a person who is completely oblivious to reality, like most tories in fact. I can't see how she can think her tenure has been anything but a half arsed job and failed to achieve her personal decisive goal of removing Corbyn.

To be fair to Kezia, she has a big year ahead of her, what with her exams which are going to be a really really exciting opportunity for her and everybody in this country, and being a prefect which will be a really really great challenge for her and everybody in this country and organising the tuck shop which is going to be really really good for her and everybody in this country.

At least she won't have to spend time memorising bland press releases for regurgitation any more.

I see the English are taking great delight in picking and choosing who gets work permits after they leave the union that they currently belong to. ( they won't actually leave)

It's all okay of course because they are English and everyone else is just foriegn. ( apart from minions like us)

let's see how they like it if we started talking about limiting work permits for the English after we leave the union we currently belong to.

I don't expect anyone English to actually understand that it would be exactly the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

You'd have thought that it would have started to dawn on them that they don't hold any cards. But it's clear that the penny still hasn't dropped (so to speak). Think the only thing I disagree with is the British courts being answerable to the ECJ. No. Other than that, it's fair game the EU are asking / demanding the UK stump up the cash.

The Spanish are going to extraordinary lengths to deny the Catalonians a voice. The key question is why?

Why is always the best question of course but this is an affront to the so-called democracy that these western corrupt states peddle. When Cameron pleaded with us to stay with his "UK family", those who were persuaded by him forgot to ask themselves why he was trying so hard? Not only should his insincerity have been obvious to them, they never once engaged any critical thinking whatsoever in advance of voting No.

The Spanish and UK central governments are pursuing the exact same agenda. It appears that the Catalonians are engaging much more advanced critical thinking skills and have much more intelligence and courage than the stupid majority of Scots.

Extraordinary to see the local fire brigade come to the rescue of the "protesters" after they were being fired upon by the Spanish police. Absolutely disgraceful scenes. This will only spawn a more extreme form of tactics from the catalan govt / supporters. Horrible to see. Hope no one is seriously injured. The scenes in Madrid were equally horrifying, but on the other side of the spectrum. People gathering and singing the fascist Spanish anthem whilst giving fascist salutes. Great, good look Spain.

The Spanish are going to extraordinary lengths to deny the Catalonians a voice. The key question is why?

Why is always the best question of course but this is an affront to the so-called democracy that these western corrupt states peddle. When Cameron pleaded with us to stay with his "UK family", those who were persuaded by him forgot to ask themselves why he was trying so hard? Not only should his insincerity have been obvious to them, they never once engaged any critical thinking whatsoever in advance of voting No.

The Spanish and UK central governments are pursuing the exact same agenda. It appears that the Catalonians are engaging much more advanced critical thinking skills and have much more intelligence and courage than the stupid majority of Scots.

Great post. I wish the voters of Scotland had a fucking fraction of the gumption and backbone that the Catalonians have shown.

The countless videos that I've seen from yesterday are a disgrace and Spain should be ashamed. I saw a lot of people peacfully waiting to vote attacked by thug cops. Old people and dogs were also fair game. Fucking cretins.

Catalonia will get it's will. Scotland could learn so much if it weren't for the Stockholm Syndrome.

I will not set foot in Spain again.