Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Grimmer Gone

Same story recycled in todays Sun

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4049256/Fulham-bid-looks-Grim-for-the-Dons.html

SICKENED Aberdeen chiefs are resigned to losing top prospect Jack Grimmer to the English Premier League.

SunSport understands Fulham are poised to strike a pre-contract agreement with the 17-year-old, who is the Dons' youngest ever first-team player.

Scotland youth ace Grimmer — who played against Rangers in April 2010 aged just 16 years, two months and 13 days — is out of contract in the summer.

And the Dons, who have worked tirelessly bringing him through their youth development set-up, are bracing themselves for the call to confirm the youngster will be at Craven Cottage next season.

They could still expect a fee from the Londoners in the region of £250,000 for their role in Grimmer's development.

But it would be cold comfort for Dons, who have been coaching the hometown kid since he was 12.

Grimmer, who has made a total of four top-team appearances, was seen as the club's next big thing at Pittodrie.

Fulham, who were also linked last year with another Dons starlet, Fraser Fyvie, have been tracking Grimmer long term and the youngster now seems destined to head south.

Meanwhile, Dons boss Craig Brown started his Pittodrie clear-out by telling Josh Magennis he can leave in the current transfer window.

The Northern Ireland international is out of contract in the summer and knows there is little chance of earning an extended contract.

The former Cardiff striker has started just seven matches this season and has decided to move in search of a regular game elsewhere.

Brown understands Magennis' frustration.

He said: "Josh's agent telephoned me to ask about his situation because he had not been getting a regular first-team game.

"I have to stress that I didn't call the agent in an effort to get rid of him.

"I'm in no hurry to see him leave as I have always said that he has great potential.

"But if he believes it would be better to go elsewhere to play regularly then we won't stand in his way.

"I have told his agent to speak to us again if there is interest, but so far that hasn't happened."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4049256/Fulham-bid-looks-Grim-for-the-Dons.html#ixzz1j39fsReZ

TEENAGE starlet Jack Grimmer was today warned against making the same mistake as Chris Maguire after being linked with Fulham.

The Premier League outfit are understood to be set to launch a bid to sign Aberdeen FC’s youngest ever first team player on a pre-contract agreement.

Aberdeen FC boss Craig Brown confirmed there has been interest, but no offer, from Fulham for the midfielder, who is out of contract in the summer.

I was always crap at fitba' so never faced the kind of dliemma this young dude apparently is.

I can never understand though, why a 17 year old with barely a handful of appearances would think that going to a club that can spend millions on transfers is ever going to be the best career move.

If he believes he is good enough for the EPL now, then he will still be good enough in 2 or 3 seasons, once he has played a good 60 games or so, no?

How many players come through the youth ranks at the likes of Fulham and go on to have make many EPL appearances?

What odds that if he does go he will spend most of his time on loan at lower league clubs before being permanently shipped out to League One or back to the SPL any way?

I have barely seen the boy and good luck to him whatever he does, but it always frustrates me that not playing for an EPL/Championship club is seen as a better option than playing in the SPL for the Dons...

Aye the wages and perks are better, but does no one care if they actually get to play anymore?!?!?

:

I was always crap at fitba' so never faced the kind of dliemma this young dude apparently is.

I can never understand though, why a 17 year old with barely a handful of appearances would think that going to a club that can spend millions on transfers is ever going to be the best career move.

If he believes he is good enough for the EPL now, then he will still be good enough in 2 or 3 seasons, once he has played a good 60 games or so, no?

How many players come through the youth ranks at the likes of Fulham and go on to have make many EPL appearances?

What odds that if he does go he will spend most of his time on loan at lower league clubs before being permanently shipped out to League One or back to the SPL any way?

I have barely seen the boy and good luck to him whatever he does, but it always frustrates me that not playing for an EPL/Championship club is seen as a better option than playing in the SPL for the Dons...

Aye the wages and perks are better, but does no one care if they actually get to play anymore?!?!?

:

I don't know. Surely having the opportunity at 17 of going to the EPL having the use of top class training facilities training with top professionals getting a decent wage to do so with the added bonus of working towards playing in one of the better more lucrative leagues against top international players? You'd be a bit of an idiot to pass that up.

Also at 17 are you going to believe that you can't make it? Surely if you think like that you will never make it and probably aren't cut out for professional sport.

Regardless even if you don't make it you'll have a few more leagues to drop through than you would at Aberdeen.

( apologies for rambling appearance my comma key is not working)

I don't know. Surely having the opportunity at 17 of going to the EPL having the use of top class training facilities training with top professionals getting a decent wage to do so with the added bonus of working towards playing in one of the better more lucrative leagues against top international players? You'd be a bit of an idiot to pass that up.

Also at 17 are you going to believe that you can't make it? Surely if you think like that you will never make it and probably aren't cut out for professional sport.

Regardless even if you don't make it you'll have a few more leagues to drop through than you would at Aberdeen.

( apologies for rambling appearance my comma key is not working)

All fair points.

I guess the gulf between the EPL (Divison 1 as was) and the SPL didn't use to be of quite so massive proportions 'back in the day', when really good players would stick around with the likes of Abderdeen, United, Motherwell etc. for years before even considering a jaunt down south.

Now it seems like all any Scotland-based player wants is a move away...

Ach, I'm getting auld!

:-[

‘Aberdeen FC need help to stop losing their best boys’

Craig Brown appeals to SFA and SPL

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 16/01/2012

ABERDEEN FC boss Craig Brown today urged the SFA and SPL to come up with a way of stopping England’s top clubs stealing away Scotland’s best young talents.

Brown was speaking as Aberdeen braced themselves for the departure of rising star Jack Grimmer, who is poised to secure a dream move to English Premier side Fulham.

Aberdonian Grimmer – the youngest ever Aberdeen FC debutant when he came on as a substitute against Rangers at Ibrox in April 2010 aged 16 years, two months and 13 days – could complete the move to Craven Cottage this week if the clubs can agree compensation.

There's no guarantee that Premiership clubs will come knocking a few years down the line so the lad has to take his big break when he can and likewise AFC need to take the money when it's offered.

That's where we are now and although it pains to see a young lad with potential leaving our ranks before he's had time to mature it's also good to see the youth system that was set up not too long ago bearing some fruit.

There's nothing to suggest, actually there is everything to suggest that he wouldn't progress that far after he's hit the first team.  Be that AFC's fault or the poor state of the SPL.  That just seems to be the track records of youngsters in our team having first shown great potential.

Looks like he is gone going

Thanks for all the good messages! Here we go :) #COYR

If you are a young lad and there are journey men and cloggers getting games in front of you I can see why he wants to try elsewhere. Hes a local loon so good luck tae him.

Cheltenham got a fee and other clauses based on progress and an agreed percentage of sell on fee when Arsenal signed 15 year old Jamie Edge.

Unfortunately Arsenal released him last summer.

You'd hope if Cheltenham can negotiate that for a player that had not signed pro terms we should be able to negotiate at least similar for someone who has.

Cheltenham got a fee and other clauses based on progress and an agreed percentage of sell on fee when Arsenal signed 15 year old Jamie Edge.

Unfortunately Arsenal released him last summer.

You'd hope if Cheltenham can negotiate that for a player that had not signed pro terms we should be able to negotiate at least similar for someone who has.

But you're failing to take into account that this is the board of AFC football club that we're talking aboot here. They don't have it in them to say no. Unless we're trying to offer players a pay rise.

ons youngster Jack Grimmer has completed his move to Fulham. Pittodrie Chief Executive Duncan Fraser said. "While we made Jack an extremely good offer to remain at Pittodrie, having signed him straight from school, he has chosen to move on. When Craig and I met with Jack recently Craig emphasised that he would continue to be developed by being involved with the first team with a view to him becoming a first team squad member next season. From a football perspective everyone at the Club hoped that he should remain with the Club to compete his development which we believe in the long term would have been in his best interests. However in the end he and his advisor thought otherwise. It was clear that a decision to move south was already the preferred option which is disappointing.

"There is a bigger issue here for the SPL and Scottish football in that we are beginning to see young Scottish talent moving south before they have fully developed with the teams they signed for as youngsters. The economic climate means nurturing home talent is the only way forward for all clubs in this country. However if, after investing huge sums bringing youngsters through the ranks, top flight English clubs can simply sign players for relatively small training compensation levels given the television income in England and before the players have even had the opportunity to make an impact at top team level, then we have real challenges ahead of us. It is an issue we will seek to raise with the SPL and the SFA to see what further steps can be taken to safeguard our clubs interests.

"In terms of this particular transfer we received full value on the training compensation side while agreeing to further add on terms in order to allow the player to move South before his contract expired in the summer as it is in everyone's best interests to bring this matter to a conclusion. Further, it will enable young talented Under 19 players at the Club, who want to be here, to stake a claim to step up which is what we want them to do.

"However disappointed we are in relation to this development we wish Jack the very best for the future."

Apparently (well according to Maverick) we got £200k for him, which I suppose given our transfer fee record and the fact he has never started a game for us isn't bad.

I wish the lad all the best and I suppose although unlikely to get game time moving to he EPL will mean a step up in the quality of training, reserve football and players in his team I'm not sure what kind of record Fulham have in this dept.  Do they bring many kids through? What are their youth set up and training facilities like?