Friday 14th June 2024

Euro 2024 - 🇩🇪 Germany v 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland - kick-off 8pm

Pa Broon & Archie - confirmed on 2.5 year deals

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/9257495.stm

at least we wont have to pay his fare for watching games he could use his bus pass

sad day when we are happy with a 70 year old

To misquote a popular adage...

If you're good enough, you're young enough.

He's only 1 year older the Alex Ferguson, and a year younger than Bobby Robson was when he was still managing Newcastle.

"Separately we do wish to make clear that as a Board we believe that the conduct of the Board of Aberdeen in this matter has been wholly inappropriate and in clear breach of SPL rules as well as basic courtesy. At no point did they inform us or seek our permission to speak to critical employees of our Club and to seek to entice them to leave our employment.

"We realise the desperation they are feeling and the pressure they are under from their fans for their own performance as a Board but to go about their business in this way is a matter of gross discourtesy. It is also conduct which is beneath the integrity we would expect of a Club of Aberdeen's stature. We hope Aberdeen's fans will reflect on that and understand our need to do something about it. We have raised this matter with the SPL and will pursue the matter vigorously and by all means.

"To all Motherwell fans everywhere we ask for you to rally round the Club as you always do and we will work together to keep punching above our weight and obtaining the success we all seek. This Club is bigger than any manager and for that matter any Board. As fans we will always be the people who care most about this club for the long term. Loyalty is clearly all too rare in football but we know we have it in ourselves for the club we love. Motherwell is a special club from a special place as anyone touched by us knows well."

Motherwell are bringing this up with the SPL. Seems they're nae happy with AFC's conduct.

Motherwell - "That is clearly a case of tapping up. We never gave permission to talk."

SPL - "And was there a release clause in Mr Brown's contract?"

Motherwell - "Contract?..."

SPL - "Yes, CONTRACT!..."

Motherwell - "..." (DEAFENING SILENCE)

I'm delighted with these developments, a well-respected, intelligent, media-savvy, experienced manager with a good track record of developing young players.  Obviously not a long-term appointment, but to steady the ship, build a good base for the next man to come in.  Now we'll really see what the likes of Maguire, Diamond, Aluko et al are made of - Broon takes no prisoners and will either sort them out or move them on.

The board of directors have got the right man as far as I'm concerned and have now bought themselves some time to sort the club out.

I'm delighted with these developments, a well-respected, intelligent, media-savvy, experienced manager with a good track record of developing young players.  Obviously not a long-term appointment, but to steady the ship, build a good base for the next man to come in.  Now we'll really see what the likes of Maguire, Diamond, Aluko et al are made of - Broon takes no prisoners and will either sort them out or move them on.

The board of directors have got the right man as far as I'm concerned and have now bought themselves some time to sort the club out.

I concur  :thumbsup:

In the circumstances, a very good choice.

"Separately we do wish to make clear that as a Board we believe that the conduct of the Board of Aberdeen in this matter has been wholly inappropriate and in clear breach of SPL rules as well as basic courtesy. At no point did they inform us or seek our permission to speak to critical employees of our Club and to seek to entice them to leave our employment.

"We realise the desperation they are feeling and the pressure they are under from their fans for their own performance as a Board but to go about their business in this way is a matter of gross discourtesy. It is also conduct which is beneath the integrity we would expect of a Club of Aberdeen's stature. We hope Aberdeen's fans will reflect on that and understand our need to do something about it. We have raised this matter with the SPL and will pursue the matter vigorously and by all means.

"To all Motherwell fans everywhere we ask for you to rally round the Club as you always do and we will work together to keep punching above our weight and obtaining the success we all seek. This Club is bigger than any manager and for that matter any Board. As fans we will always be the people who care most about this club for the long term. Loyalty is clearly all too rare in football but we know we have it in ourselves for the club we love. Motherwell is a special club from a special place as anyone touched by us knows well."

Might have misheard but this seems to contradict the motherwell statement read out on sportsound on Tuesday night

Now we'll really see what the likes of Maguire, Diamond, Aluko et al are made of - Broon takes no prisoners and will either sort them out or move them on.

If and when he's confirmed as boss I'll stop going on about why the whole idea of this feels to me like the next in a long line of disasters at afc.

But the point about seeing what these lot are made of - I think I mentioned the other day. Players out of contract have no reason to sign on again on the basis of the club putting a temporary plaster over a gaping wound.

How is this appointment going to allow us to build a foundation for Brown's successor? Just seems like blind faith to me. The rebuilding job required is so monumental that Brown won't have time to do half of it at his age.

It's an appointment I could have welcomed in say Feb/March when, in our league position, relegation would be a very present danger. But it's not at all with 24 games left to play of the season.

We'd be better with someone that players look at and think they could be my boss for 3 or 4 years. This is all just pathetically desperate.

We're the footballing equivalent of some guy at a party who is so desperate to get his hole that instead of at least trying it on with any of the young, semi-attractive women up until the end of the night, he goes straight for the haggered old piss-stinking wifey who happened to be close by.

Still though. Any hole's a goal I suppose.  ::) Welcome aboard.

We're the footballing equivalent of some guy at a party who is so desperate to get his hole that instead of at least trying it on with any of the young, semi-attractive women up until the end of the night, he goes straight for the haggered old piss-stinking wifey who happened to be close by.

:lolabove:    I suppose they need pumped too

:lolabove:    I suppose they need pumped too

As far as I could see there were only two women worth a go at the party and they both happened to be haggered old piss stinking wifeys, both of whom happened to be close by.

It is said Jocky Scott is now shaving off his tache with the next party in mind...

How is this appointment going to allow us to build a foundation for Brown's successor? Just seems like blind faith to me. The rebuilding job required is so monumental that Brown won't have time to do half of it at his age.

Diamond, Considine, Pawlett, Fyvie, Jack, Robertson, Aluko, Maguire, Paton, Fraser, Megginson.  To varying extents, these are ten young players who have shown glimpses of real promise.  Do not underestimate the impact that a coach like Craig Brown (and Archie Knox) can have on these players.  He has such a wealth of experience and respect from top class players and managers alike that he can leave a lasting impression on young players purely from the respect that his experience creates.  He will improve our young players, of that I am 100% certain.  He will demand nothing less that to get them playing to a consistent level.  If these young players can form a spine to our team, then supplemented with two or three more experienced players, I have faith that this Aberdeen team can really kick on.  McGhee didn't have it in him to improve these players, Brown has the track record to prove that he will.  That is the foundation that he will build.

I'm happy with this, we need a manager that commands respect from a lost dressing room of players and a divided support. Craig Brown's age, experience, and track record should be an inspiration to the players and hopefully rejuvenate a lacklustre support.

Brown is what he is, and I honestly expect to see an instant improvement.  Hopefully this will all be confirmed in the morning, and we can all truly start pulling in the same direction. 

he goes straight for the haggered old piss-stinking wifey who happened to be close by.

As a good friend of mine (sadly no longer with us) used to regularly observe, there's many a good tune played on an old fiddle.  ;)

Not convinced this anything other than a short term fix and not a long term solution. One hard North East winter could easily do for the old boy.

At least its not Hughes or McPherson.

McGhee was supposed to be a long term solution!, Brown highly unlikely to be on a long term contract (nae re his age.. u ageist ppl, but from AFC recent experience!) and agree at least it's not Hughes or McPherson, or JC!