Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Pa Broon & Archie - confirmed on 2.5 year deals

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He does go on to say he wouldn't be leaving unless Motherwell want him to. Far from an outright snub, as said but nowhere near being seen as a possible next manager I'd have said. Fairly typical stuff from Brown, being nice and pretty complimentary about everything and everyone.

Though it has also to be said he did say he wasn't OFFERED the job. 

I reckon he knows Motherwell won't add to their squad in January, so he'll tell Boyle he's offski but still look like a good guy by saying "I wanted to stay but can't continue with a squad that small" etc.

That would mean us going managerless for roughly another month. What do you take our board for? A feckless bunch of pussies who'd hang on, hang on and hang on a wee bit longer while their choice of manager dicks us around and alienates us before even starting work??

Oh. wait. ah. yes. yes you may be on to something there actually.

That would mean us going managerless for roughly another month. What do you take our board for? A feckless bunch of pussies who'd hang on, hang on and hang on a wee bit longer while their choice of manager dicks us around and alienates us before even starting work??

Oh. wait. ah. yes. yes you may be on to something there actually.

They are, of course. But he doesn't have to wait til January to find out he's getting fuck all from Boyle.

Brown said: “Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne phoned me back on Wednesday and asked if we would be prepared to reconsider our refusal to be a candidate for the job.

“Quite frankly, although we originally said no, after the very pleasant appeal from the Aberdeen chairman to reconsider our position, we will have another agonising sit-down and talk out of respect for a man who we both respect.

“As well as the chairman, Duncan Fraser and Willie Miller, we also know people such as directors Hugh Little and Gordon Buchan and like them very much so it was hard to say no to them.

“With the chairman coming back to us everything is now up in the air, everyone is entitled to change their mind, so there could be a change of heart.”

If I was the AFC board I’d be asking him why he’s telling everyone who happens to phone him about this. If he was interested he would have been keeping quiet, maybe just say there had been talks.

To me it looks like he’s trying to get something out of the Motherwell board. A contract or an increased budget.

Interesting quotes !

MOTHERWELL MANAGER HAS not ruled out THE POSSIBILITY OF taking charge of ABERDEEN

By Michael Gannon and Dave Edwards

Published: 09/12/2010

Aberdeen are refusing to concede defeat in the pursuit of Motherwell manager Craig Brown and his assistant Archie Knox.

Brown and Knox had turned down the chance of a move to Pittodrie after talks in Glasgow on Tuesday with Dons chairman Stewart Milne, director of football Willie Miller and chief executive Duncan Fraser.

The meeting triggered a stiff and swift rejection from Motherwell and a polite refusal from Brown. But the Aberdeen chairman last night made a second attempt to secure the services of the Fir Park duo.

The chairman views the 70-year-old former Scotland manager as the ideal candidate to install stability at Pittodrie, just as he did at Motherwell when he inherited a demoralised squad from Jim Gannon 12 months ago and led them to fifth in the SPL.

Brown, who is operating without a contract at Fir Park, is considering his options and has not ruled out taking charge of the Dons little more than a week after the dismissal of Mark McGhee.

Brown said: “Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne phoned me back on Wednesday and asked if we would be prepared to reconsider our refusal to be a candidate for the job.

“Quite frankly, although we originally said no, after the very pleasant appeal from the Aberdeen chairman to reconsider our position, we will have another agonising sit-down and talk out of respect for a man who we both respect.

“As well as the chairman, Duncan Fraser and Willie Miller, we also know people such as directors Hugh Little and Gordon Buchan and like them very much so it was hard to say no to them.

“With the chairman coming back to us everything is now up in the air, everyone is entitled to change their mind, so there could be a change of heart.”

Earlier in the day, Aberdeen’s chances of securing their leading candidate appeared doomed.

Brown had reached a decision in the morning and Motherwell chief executive, Leeann Dempster said: “Given the fantastic on-field success in 2010, it is not surprising other clubs are taking an interest in our management team.

“With that in mind, we can confirm representatives from Aberdeen met, briefly, with both Craig Brown and Archie Knox on Tuesday afternoon.

“However, both have decided to reject any approach and reiterated their commitment to Motherwell. We look forward to continued success under both men in the future.”

Brown then went public to clarify his reasons for not moving to Pittodrie.

He said: “We met with Stewart Milne, Duncan Fraser and Willie Miller and we were obviously hugely impressed with them.

“They invited us to consider the possibility of coming to Aberdeen. They were doing a due diligence search for potential candidates so as Stewart was coming to Glasgow anyway they spoke to us. We were given overnight to consider it. I have grandchildren and they were a bit weepy about the thought of me going away again after five years in England.

“Having slept on it, and not slept overnight, Archie and I decided we would stay at Motherwell.

“We know in football terms Aberdeen is a very good club, but because of these domestic issues we said we would stay at Motherwell.”

The change of heart means Aberdeen will wait for Brown’s response before turning to other candidates, with former Hibs manager John Hughes, Scotland under-21 coach Billy Stark, former St Mirren manager Gus MacPherson and Raith Rovers manager John McGlynn among those being considered.

Aberdeen’s match against Hamilton Accies at New Douglas Park on Wednesday, December 29 has been brought forward from 7.45pm and is now a 3pm kick-off.

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2045135#ixzz17bSOKkkb

Doesn't sound like it's off to me. Far from the worst candidate possible with the only downside being that he is 70. I think Brown and Knox would also knock some discipline into the side and club in general. Motherwell fans were very pleased that they had rejected us.