Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

P&J: Our Defence is Fucked

Aberdeen defender Considine out for rest of the season

Aberdeen defender Andrew Considine is out for the rest of the season after being told he requires hip surgery.

The 22-year-old has been hindered for much of the campaign due to a displaced joint problem and is now resigned to a corrective operation next week.

Recuperation will take more than four months, with Dons manager Mark McGhee admitting the centre back’s season is finished.

McGhee said: “It is something that has been grumbling for quite some time, but it has flared up and it has got to the point when he just could not play through it anymore. He has soldiered on but I do not think he has been able to be as effective as he would have liked.

“It needs surgery, so he will have it done and then get himself fit again for next season. He is a big, strong lad, who is extremely fit, so that should help speed his recovery. But it will not be in time to get back this season.

“It is a shame for him and a blow for us. Andrew has been very consistent this season and with Zander Diamond on the way back it would have been nice to have competition for places in defence – especially with him being left-sided.

“Unfortunately it is not to be but it could have been worse if Diamond was not on the way back.â€

Considine has been one of the few constants in a revolving-door Dons defence this term due to a succession of injuries and suspensions.

The Scotland under-21 international’s prolonged absence will not tempt McGhee to hasten Diamond’s rehabilitation, however, following eight months of injury problems for the defender.

Diamond, who has played just 80 minutes this season, has resumed full training but, at best, is likely to be handed a place on the bench for Saturday’s visit of Kilmarnock.

McGhee added: “There is no point is rushing Zander. He is happy with his progress and we will keep an eye of him.â€

Dons attacker Sone Aluko also faces another three weeks on the sidelines follow-ing abdominal surgery.

The 20-year-old Nigerian international has been out of action since the beginning of December and he has been limited to just five SPL starts this term.

McGhee is hoping to have the former Birmingham forward available for the run-in and said: “We have pencilled in a return for Sone in the testimonial game at Buckie on February 14 and he is on track.â€

McGhee is still hopeful of adding to his squad this transfer window but admits he is playing a waiting game as targets such as Falkirk’s Darren Barr and Swansea’s Stephen Dobbie assess their options.

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1569977?UserKey=#ixzz0dEaLbwXx

:(

Although Ifil and Mulgrew have looked alright together in the centre, we really do need to bring in someone else quickly.

The radio said yesterday or the day before that Diamond might be on the bench on Saturday, and that will surely be guaranteed now.

We need someone in quickly.

With Diamond on the verge of a return I wouldn't say we were that desperate as we have players that can cover that position for one or two games. Its been a while since a centre half came through the ranks so I guess there may be boys coming through. If we get another long term injury then its time to worry.

With Diamond on the verge of a return I wouldn't say we were that desperate as we have players that can cover that position for one or two games. Its been a while since a centre half came through the ranks so I guess there may be boys coming through. If we get another long term injury then its time to worry.

If someone comes in with an offer of two bob for Mulgrew then we're in the deep stuff  ::)

Although Ifil and Mulgrew have looked alright together in the centre, we really do need to bring in someone else quickly.

Mulgrew was wasted in that position and it helped he was playing against small strikers, wouldnt like to see him up against Kyle or Nade which he may well be in the next two games.

I met Craig moore last night in Kavala Greece , he is playing there to keep his fitness up for the world cup. Anyway he apparently isnt going to st johnstone or was it motherwell I canna mind now ? and his contract is up in April as the season ends earlier in Greece .

i spearded at him about playing for Aberdeen and he smiled and just said you never know . He was saying he had heard Dingus had taken over.

wonder how much he would be to play with us.

By the way he was a top bloke and stood his hand  :thumbsup:

Why are we not rushing Diamond back ? Surely his injury that kept him out for so long was sorted a long time ago and he has been missing for the last 2 months due to a rather bad nose bleed ? Get the fucker back on the park, if need be ram a fucking lillet up his snout and get on with it.

I met Craig moore last night in Kavala Greece , he is playing there to keep his fitness up for the world cup. Anyway he apparently isnt going to st johnstone or was it motherwell I canna mind now ? and his contract is up in April as the season ends earlier in Greece .

i spearded at him about playing for Aberdeen and he smiled and just said you never know . He was saying he had heard Dingus had taken over.

wonder how much he would be to play with us.

By the way he was a top bloke and stood his hand  :thumbsup:

He's shite.

Central defence is a worry, but what about the wings?

I think we need to consider a position in every department of the team (by that I mean, defence, midfield, the wings and attack). There is not one of those that does not need addressing. And the problem is, I don't think one is less of a priority than the other right now, well possibly central midfield but still. Its just difficult to see where we would a) get the recruits from and b) be able to afford them  :-\