Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Who do we want as manager?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pep Guardiolas previous managerial career did not really matter  ;)  cool name also by the way

It did, actually, Barcelona B... do try to keep up. 

Thought you didn't like immigrants anyway......?

Hmmm, interesting concept - in that case, I propose Andoni Goikoetxea  (alternatively known as the Butcher of Bilboa) - solid, uncompromising defender, cool name, hard as a hard thing  AND  actually has managerial qualifications and a decent resume.....

You have the right idea!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpcBkpOf4z8

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, interesting concept - in that case, I propose Andoni Goikoetxea  (alternatively known as the Butcher of Bilboa) - solid, uncompromising defender, cool name, hard as a hard thing  AND  actually has managerial qualifications and a decent resume.....

As long as we don't go for the Butcher of Inverness.

Not my initial idea but someone said Newell was interested. great record at Luton and Grimsby, won a league, got grimsby to cup final all with no cash. Better track record than anyone else mentioned so far except Ferguson but I am not deluded enough to think that'll happen. Provided he stops ridiculous statements well worth an interview IMO

TF questioned standard, but McGhee did fuck all in their lower leagues and Black got going when motherwell got tough

Yip, good shout for Newell - done well at Luton and also kept Grimsby up this year, also pretty sure he would get the fans going as well.....although he does come across as a bit of a nutter at times....

Is it just me or apart from McLeish and Strachan, who we've no chance of getting, do the other candidates on the Poll really fill anyone with any confidence that if given the job, they could take AFC forward?  I just cannot see it.

Its certainly been my general feeling on the matter. Knew JC had to go but with all the names touted around, I was completely at a loss as to who would take us further.

Willie vows to get best for Aberdeen FC

Hunt continues for Calderwood replacement

By Sean Wallace

Published: 28/05/2009

HOPEFUL: Aberdeen FC director of football, Willie Miller.

More Pictures

ABERDEEN FC director of football Willie Miller, today vowed the club will get the right man to replace Jimmy Calderwood.

The Aberdeen FC board have whittled down an extensive list of applicants.

Mark McGhee is the bookies’ favourite, while the list of applicants is also thought to include Jim Magilton, recently axed by Ipswich.

Miller said: “Although there has been an extensive number of applicants we will find the right man.

“The standard was very high but we have whittled down the numbers for what is a very attractive managerial position.

What would he be like? I know he was consistant with Ipswich with a couple of mid table finishes

Which paper. send me McCormack's thoughts please

MARK McGHEE may have missed out on the Celtic job but Ross McCormack insists his old boss will hit the big time soon.

Gordon Strachan urged the Parkhead board to appoint the Motherwell manager as his successor.

But Dermot Desmond & Co have turned instead to Owen Coyle with the Burnley boss now on the brink of landing his dream job.

The news will come as a huge relief to those Well fans desperate to see McGhee remain at Fir Park.

But former Well star McCormack believes it's only a matter of time before the man who rescued his career moves on to bigger and better things.

It's understood McGhee now tops Aberdeen's wish list and last night Cardiff City striker McCormack said: "It was inevitable that he'd be linked with both clubs because he played for Celtic and Aberdeen.

"He's done a great job at Motherwell on a very tight budget so bigger clubs will always look at him.

"I can't speak highly enough of him. The way he handles himself is very impressive. You only have to think back to when Phil O'Donnell tragically died and how the gaffer led the club during that time.

"He carries himself well and he's a man who knows what he's talking about.

"We didn't know too much about him before he came to Motherwell but within a day we were on board.

"We could see he knew what he was talking about, very quickly all the boys believed in him.

"In that sense he's a great man-manager.

"He knows when to have a laugh with the boys but he knows when to be serious too.

"He's a very good man and, if he is to leave for Aberdeen, I know for a fact he'll do a very good job.

"Of course, it would be a shame for Motherwell if he does go and for my old club's sake I hope he stays.

"But bigger clubs are always going to be looking at someone like Mark McGhee."

McCormack insists he owes his career to the in-demand Motherwell manager.

He confessed: "When he first came to Motherwell we had a chat in pre-season.

"He'd heard stories I was difficult to work with, the petted lip and all that.

"But he told me if I worked hard I'd be one of Motherwell's main players. He was true to his word.

"I got my head down and the gaffer looked after me. He improved my game so much. Even when I was leaving the club he was great for me. I told him I was going to Nottingham Forest but he told me it was the wrong move.

"He said, 'give me ten minutes and I'll get you a better move'. Sure enough, within ten minutes Peter Ridsdale was on the phone and I was off to Cardiff."

Advertisement

Click here

Scotland star McCormack was back in Motherwell yesterday to talk to pupils at a local high school. The striker has enjoyed a dream debut season in the Championship - despite the heartbreak of missing out on the play-offs.

He said: "We lost out by a single goal. It was a rotten way to finish the season.

"But I still feel I've had a great season with the goals I've scored and breaking into the Scotland team."

I am getting increasingly worried by the fact that Jim Jefferies and John Hughes are still being mentioned.

Thankfully (although I could be wrong) I've only seen Jeffries' name mentioned on forums; not a great deal of paper talk linking him to the job.  Thank fuck.