Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Who do we want as manager?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Exactly and any manager coming here will need to run the club on a shoestring.

This is it KGB, I don't doubt he is a decent enough manager, as just having money doesn't mean you will make good use of it and successive promotions suggest he does.

But if you are in a decent division, with the propect of being supported financially to get to the EPL, would you give that up?

It would be a decision based upon sentiment and that alone would make it dodgy to say the least. Aside from that, if the posh are to let what seems to be a decnt manager come to us, there will have to be a fair amount of cash going the opposite way.

Next.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a manager who took a  team of bottom half of the table strugglers and got them to finish in the top 6, 5 years in a row, even took them into Europe a couple of times, all on a shoestring budget.

His name escapes me now.

Yeah, but he left, and it was probably for the best that club's fans accepted it and moved on  :thumbsup:

Joe Lewis Signed for £500,000 due to promotion

Gabriel Zakuani Signed for £400,000

George Boyd Signed for £260,000

Lee Frecklington Signed for £250,000

Dominic Green Signed for £200,000

Sergio Torres Signed for £200,000

Aaron McLean Signed for £150,000

Liam Hatch Signed for £150,000

Scott Rendell Signed for £150,000

Shane Blackett Signed for £150,000

OK these came from wiki, and I thought the fee for McLean was higher. They'll probably treble the money spent by selling any of Makail-Smith, George Boyd or McLean. But it's untrue to say Fergie jnr has had no financial support. He has done well cherry picking the talent from the conference but they were outbidding everyone else interested in taking a chance on those players.

Does go to show what we're competing against when clubs like stevenage are getting quarter of a million for their talent.

Feel I should add that it was the consensus of opinion that Posh were the best team seen at Whaddon Rd this season. Boyd and Makail-Smith being the standouts. It'll be interesting to see whether they hang onto those two as well as the already mentioned Aaron McLean, if not they will struggle next season.

Something for Darren tro consider, IF he has been approached by Aberdeen.

Aberdeen want Mark McGhee to be their next manager, STV has learned.

The Motherwell boss, who has also been linked with the vacant post at Celtic, has been at Fir Park for almost two years and we understand that the job at Pittodrie is his if he wants it.

As this is from STV, it's probably ten years out of date.

Surely considering Leeds united and Leicester were in there division, thats not very much to spend! ...and still get promoted!

Granted not sure what they spent, Leicester I'm fairly sure just kept their relegated team together. He has had large amounts in League Two and League One terms Also be interested to know how big Leeds and Leicesters squads are fairly certain he had a huge squad in league one terms.

Taking nothing away from D.Feruson he's done very well with his gambles on these non-league players, could have been very different if the financial backing was not there though. His team does play very effective attacking football, and with a future England international in goals are pretty solid at the back.

Fair dues kow but i like him and his style.  Utd were playing some very decent football up till january when they lost their starting central midfielders flood and robertson, if you look at their results thats where they started to dip.

Been watching the SPL review on BBC Sport with Richard Gordon and Pat Nevin?

Why not Newell??

Does TF know something I don't?

Supposedly did superb job at Luton ( flowing football with some degree of success ) and my understanding was that he blew the whistle on iffy dealings.

Not saying it should be him, but to my mind a suitable option

Why not Newell??

Does TF know something I don't?

Supposedly did superb job at Luton ( flowing football with some degree of success ) and my understanding was that he blew the whistle on iffy dealings.

Not saying it should be him, but to my mind a suitable option

Why?

Because he scored a handful of goals for us a few years back?

What's Laurent D'Jaffo up to these days?

did a bit of Newell research,

won championship 1 with 98 points at Luton, year after going into administration ( works on a shoestring )

Then removed after criticising chairman ( not sacked for being crap )

Questioned corruption in transfers ( honest )

Abused female officials with sexist comments ( needs a babysitter for the press )

Has turned grimsby town round

Has always had a shit haircut

Wasn't much of a striker for us

pretty much all you need to decide if he's a decent candidate.

2 player dream team mentioned worries me I don't know of 2 former dons ( we can afford ) that I'd have confidence in

did a bit of Newell research,

won championship 1 with 98 points at Luton, year after going into administration ( works on a shoestring )

Then removed after criticising chairman ( not sacked for being crap )

Questioned corruption in transfers ( honest )

Abused female officials with sexist comments ( needs a babysitter for the press )

Has turned grimsby town round

Has always had a shit haircut

Wasn't much of a striker for us

pretty much all you need to decide if he's a decent candidate.

2 player dream team mentioned worries me I don't know of 2 former dons ( we can afford ) that I'd have confidence in

As with McGhee and others, not a BAD managerial record, but what about him and his record is there that makes it GOOD and reason to think he's any better than what we already had?

Dean Windass - Do we want another ex-player with no managerial experience to take us back to those Willie Miller days, when the inevitable happens and the 'easily swayed' again turn on a former player?

Ferguson jr - He has been able to offer players decent wages to attract them, something he would not be able to do at Aberdeen.  The whole Ferguson thing is too sentimental and if his father has any sense, he'll be forgetting about his midweek game and calling his son to tell him not to be so stupid. 

Dean Windass - Do we want another ex-player with no managerial experience to take us back to those Willie Miller days, when the inevitable happens and the 'easily swayed' again turn on a former player?

Ferguson jr - He has been able to offer players decent wages to attract them, something he would not be able to do at Aberdeen.  The whole Ferguson thing is too sentimental and if his father has any sense, he'll be forgetting about his midweek game and calling his son to tell him not to be so stupid. 

Surely we wouldn't be ablt to get Ferguson jnr even if we wanted would we? I would love Deano back as a coach, I think he'd be able to teach our strikers a thing or to as well. Lets face it, he hasn't got much to live up to! :P But I wouldn't take him as manager, too big of a risk.

Well it would be a great story to get Dean Windass in as a player manager. Cant see it at all, even with an experienced no2.  Could end in disaster. Probably couldnt afford him. youv got to admit he would put bums on seats.

It would be a hideous story. And it would be the cheap option, he'd bite our hand off if it was offered, pretty much regardless of the money.