Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Who do we want as manager?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please tell me why McGhee would be a good choice, just a couple of reasons, as at the moment I don't understand why people are wetting themselves at the thought of him being the gaffer of Aberdeen.

Thoughts

While not getting overly excited by the thought of McGhee coming to Pittodrie I think that it would be a decent enough appointment. Its easy to knock the extensive list of candidates being drawn up, I'm pretty sure you could find many reasons why any of them are not the best choice. Unfortunately for supporters of Aberdeen FC there is a good reason for that and its because we don't have the budget or the pulling power that we wish we had. Most of the chat on here over the last few weeks has been laced with romantic desires and, dare I say it, unrealistic expectations. You can discuss ambition or 'next level' as much as you like but the simple fact is that we have severe limitations to what we can guarantee in terms of management. We have two choices in my opinion:

1. We take a risk. A young, inexperienced manager who is at the bottom of a curve and has a great future which we get to enjoy the early years of before he moves onto a bigger club. Dean Windass may be that guy but he might also be a fuckhead who makes an utter cunt of the whole thing. Thats the risk.

2. We go for security. An established manager with a degree of experience. Now in the current marketplace, the more this guy has in his locker the further out of our reach he gets. So we have to settle for a toolbox that fits our level.

All pretty straight forward stuff.

The other consideration is that in modern football, particularly with provincial Scottish sides, periods of loyalty that stretch more than 2-3 years are uncommon when a player or manager is doing well. This nirvana that a manager could come to Aberdeen and be very successful (beyond stability and credibility) and build us up for years to come is never happening. If we actually found a good strong manager who took us to 3rd in the league and challenging at that end with the OF as well as won us a cup and guaranteed European football then how long do you think he would be our manager ?

At this stage in the game, the best I am hoping for is a quick impact manager who can give us a shot in the arm for 2 seasons. If he can straigten out the laissez faire attitude, the drinking culture, the big-time Charlies and bring discipline and professionalism to the players then I am all in support of it. If along with that he can push us on to being a strong 3rd best team with a few finals and silverware then I am all for that too. European adventures every season ? Hell yes. However, if you want to look beyond 2 years after that sort of success then I'm afraid that manager has gone. If you don't believe it then look at UTD. After 2 seasons of 5th place, a cup final and a few impressive score draws with Rangers they have been stripped of their best 2 players by Celtic and their manager is being touted around the press as the next Celtic manager.

It may sound like I am settling for too little here but if you don't want to go for option 1 and take the risk (which most seem against) then you have to be realistic about what you can get in option 2. For me, McGhee will give us 1 or 2 very good seasons and then he will either fade away and we will be better for the foot up or he will be prized away.

Thats why I am happy enough with him.

I want to see Boothroyd installed as the gaffer.

I think that Aberdeen are in a position now where we have consolidation and that we need someone to take some risks on the pitch and let our talented players play the way they can.  This gaffer should be someone who also has an understanding of young players and developing talent who has worked his way up through the ranks from youth coaches to the gaffer.

Aberdeen need to sign 3-5 players in the summer depending what happens with Scott and Jamie,  I think Scott should stay and Jamie should go.

Jamie has been one of our better players and we should keep him as the goalie for years. Hopefully Javan comes back and can form some sort of partnership on the right hand side with Sone.  For a long time the fans have noticed we need an older head to pay alongside Zander at the back.  Scott is capable of this but it would seem his departure is imminent so a centre half is a requirement.  Charlie is capable of being a leftback but experience is needed in the centre of defence to keep him in check as he can be mental sometimes.  Mark and Gary will be the middle of midfield and if both steer clear of injury/fights in the town then they will be magical.  Left midfield is tricky because Derek is a bit of a spastic footballer so we need a left midfielder, there's a lad called Imrie at the Caley and he's quite good.  I am a Miller fanboi and Maguire has potential but we need another goal machine.

So a centre half, left winger and forward are necessities.  Plus some squad personnel if possible.  Boothroyd may have the names in the lower England leagues we could borrow.

As a gaffer Aidy will give us the boost needed and he will relish fighting the Old Firm.  I'd like him to come as our gaffer because he would not start the usual guff about giving the Old Firm respect and going for third place.  He would like to aim higher and see what happens, we know realistically that third is the likelihood of where we'd finish but let's have a go.

As a gaffer Aidy will give us the boost needed and he will relish fighting the Old Firm.  I'd like him to come as our gaffer because he would not start the usual guff about giving the Old Firm respect and going for third place.  He would like to aim higher and see what happens, we know realistically that third is the likelihood of where we'd finish but let's have a go.

Remarkable insight.

Guest Nellie The Don

You have offered nothing I bet you're a McGhee fanboi.

Why do you keep on coming out with this 'fanboi' shite?

Translating for the neds?

_1435889_anotherned150.jpg

If he gets the job, you'd be banned from the stadium as a potential stalker.

We know you love him and want him in.

you may even be him.

by the way, Newell for the job :thumbsup:

Nellie there are a lot of fanboi's of McGhee who say nothing when you ask why they want him as the gaffer.

Red I am not a stalker, just a fanboi.  You are a Newell fanboi.  Mike and Aidy would be a dream team.

the over usage of fanboi contradicts all sense in this post

Think it'll be Mcghee as we seem to be very quiet, probably due to the job down in Parkhead. I wouldn't be too keen on this but why else are AFC saying piss all. If we wanted candidates and excitement they'd be leaking applicants all over the shop.

Instead they say fuck all because they want McGhee and he's waiting to see whether the tattie munchers want him 1st.

TF is still pining for Jimmy,

you only need to read one of his, " this is pish, jimmy was great" posts to see this

So I think it is unfair to ask him to break his loyalty by putting up someone else as his choice

If you ever find any posts of mine that say "Jimmy was great" you'll be doing very well.

Mind you of course, that would pish all over your JISMJMGSMGOD bullshit theory so maybe it wouldn't be worth your while. ::)

Trumpet.