Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Who do we want as manager?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So Windass is the first to throw his hat in the ring.

Deano wants to be new Aberdeen FC boss

But Black and Ferguson out of the running

FORMER Aberdeen FC player, Dean Windass, today sensationally entered the race to be the new boss at Pittodrie.

Windass exclusively revealed to the Evening Express that he wants to be the man to replace sacked former Aberdeen FC manager Jimmy Calderwood.

The shock news came as early favourite Mark McGhee insisted he had still received no contact from Aberdeen.

Another contender, Eric Black, appears to be out of the running after distancing himself from the position.

Meanwhile, Aberdeen FC have been warned off making an approach for Posh boss Darren Ferguson.

Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony claimed Aberdeen could not afford Ferguson.

Hull striker Windass is out of contract this summer and eager to move into management.

He admitted taking over the reins at Pittodrie would be a dream job.

Windass said: “If you don’t ask then you don’t get.

“I am going to put my hat into the ring.’’

I'd take him as part of the new mangement team, but not as manager.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My source has just confirmed that as well as Deano contacting the club about the job, so have Ossi Ardilles and Berti McVogts!

Although - the source say none of those 3 are serious contenders. The only problem with the candidate who the board have wanted since last week is money, both his salary and the amount he will have to spend on the team. The prospective new manager has been told "no money for transfer fees" and to pick up players on frees. Wage budget will remain the same but players will need moved on to bring in his own players. Welcome to Scottish Fitba ************! Deal with it or stop messing us about - there are others who'd jump at the chance for the AFC job... unfortunately the 3 are listed at the start of the post  :(

I wonder where the compo money came from and unfortunately looks like my concerns that it would impact on any new manager's budget are coming true  >:D

Who is your source?

Are you sleeping with Willie Miller?  ;D

My source has just confirmed that as well as Deano contacting the club about the job, so have Ossi Ardilles and Berti McVogts!

Although - the source say none of those 3 are serious contenders. The only problem with the candidate who the board have wanted since last week is money, both his salary and the amount he will have to spend on the team. The prospective new manager has been told "no money for transfer fees" and to pick up players on frees. Wage budget will remain the same but players will need moved on to bring in his own players. Welcome to Scottish Fitba ************! Deal with it or stop messing us about - there are others who'd jump at the chance for the AFC job... unfortunately the 3 are listed at the start of the post  :(

I wonder where the compo money came from and unfortunately looks like my concerns that it would impact on any new manager's budget are coming true  >:D

It's Darren Ferguson we are courting. Thats why the MacAnthony is warning us off and saying we can't afford him rather than 'I have heard nothing from Aberdeen'

Has he been doing his coaching badges the past season?

Been doing them for the last couple of years.

Think he did his A licence last summer and was his intention to do his pro this season, have his book I'll look when I get home.

Aye, it would be magic. We can pass our way all the way to tenth!

Aye, still better than european nights under JC ::)

I've always been a fan of John Hughes, baring in mind I only see him 3/4 times a season, it's always quite nice to watch, but over a whole season i'd imagine it'd get tiresome.

Still rather have him than Jefferies.

Aye, still better than european nights under JC ::)

I've always been a fan of John Hughes, baring in mind I only see him 3/4 times a season, it's always quite nice to watch, but over a whole season i'd imagine it'd get tiresome.

Still rather have him than Jefferies.

Hughes also doesn't speak pish to the media like that buffoon JC did.  ::)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/8068943.stm

Aberdeen to step up manager hunt

Mark McGhee and Eric Black

Bookmakers are backing Mark McGhee (left) and Eric Black

Aberdeen director of football Willie Miller hopes the club can find a replacement for Jimmy Calderwood soon.

"It's difficult to put a timescale on appointing a new manager, but we are actively now in that process," he said.

"We've had a few applicants and we have our own thoughts. We'll get together over the next couple of days and put these thoughts together.

"The full focus of the club is looking to the future and looking to get organised for the new season."

Calderwood announced his departure on the final day of the season, having secured fourth place in the Scottish Premier League and a Europa League spot for next season.

Motherwell manager Mark McGhee and Wigan assistant Eric Black, both former Dons strikers, are among the favourites to take over at Pittodrie.

McGhee has also been linked with Celtic, with former Parkhead boss Gordon Strachan believed to have recommended his good friend for the post.

But McGhee told BBC Radio Scotland: "At the moment, I've heard nothing but speculation and I can only say that it is a compliment to be linked with these jobs."

McGhee, who has been at Fir Park for two seasons - finishing third and seventh in the Scottish Premier League, was full of praise for the job done by Calderwood during his five-years in charge.

"Jimmy was criticised, I think totally unfairly, all season and again has got his team into Europe, which is just a fantastic achievement given the limitations that were put on him," said the manager whose Well side have also qualified for the Europa League thanks to the good disciplinary record.

Meanwhile, Miller was anxious to move on from the former manager's departure, saying: "We need to draw a line under Jimmy Calderwood and his tenure.

"We'll never forget it, but there comes a point when you've got to stop commenting on the past."