Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Who do we want as manager?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully (although I could be wrong) I've only seen Jeffries' name mentioned on forums; not a great deal of paper talk linking him to the job.  Thank fuck.

His name was mentioned as being held in high regard by the Aberdeen board.

Source - BBC Radio Scotland.

I have said previously that i think this is a genuine opportunity for us to take a risk, appoint a young manager with fresh ideas and move forward. Now obviously, this is the tricky part, but a think we should look at someone who has maybe applied with no previous managerial experience and give it real consideration. If Windass has applied, why not give him a chance, Eoin Jess is doing coaching at Notts Forest, again why not. Both appointments would certainly be exciting, which to be fair, something weve not conjured up in a while on or off the park.

A think aswell a young manager, could certainly unite the fans. This a real chance for us to appoint someone leftfield instead of appointing another run of the mill manager with so called "experience" i.e McGhee

A say take a risk and see where it takes us

I have said previously that i think this is a genuine opportunity for us to take a risk, appoint a young manager with fresh ideas and move forward. Now obviously, this is the tricky part, but a think we should look at someone who has maybe applied with no previous managerial experience and give it real consideration. If Windass has applied, why not give him a chance, Eoin Jess is doing coaching at Notts Forest, again why not. Both appointments would certainly be exciting, which to be fair, something weve not conjured up in a while on or off the park.

A think aswell a young manager, could certainly unite the fans. This a real chance for us to appoint someone leftfield instead of appointing another run of the mill manager with so called "experience" i.e McGhee

A say take a risk and see where it takes us

Couldn't disagree more, we have a solid base to build on, I'd rather it took 10 years for us to make a team that wins a few leagues and cups than one who wins the League Cup next year then are shit for the next 3 years

I notice in the poll that black is by a country mile the most popular appointment for donstalkers.  Does anyone think this is a fair reflection of the support as a whole? 

I don't think so, I think there's a certain element of "Fuck the JMG mob, let's go for Black instead of the golden boy McGhee"

I could be wrong though.

Couldn't disagree more, we have a solid base to build on, I'd rather it took 10 years for us to make a team that wins a few leagues and cups than one who wins the League Cup next year then are shit for the next 3 years

I don't think so, I think there's a certain element of "Fuck the JMG mob, let's go for Black instead of the golden boy McGhee"

I could be wrong though.

We had the manager for that, why sack him and replace him with another. Now he has gone I'd rather we took a calculated risk on an unknown quantity. Whoever it is might turn about to be another "steady appointment", maybe he'll turn out to be a fuck up, or maybe he'll take us to the next level. McGhee as far as I'm concerned has failed to take Wolves, Brighton and to a certain extent Millwall and Motherwell to "the next level". He has proved that he can maintain them at a level consistent with their financial backing but is this not what Jimmy was sacked for?

I fully expect a "cups blah blah blah" type response but McGhee has not won a cup and he managed in the English Lower leagues. If his sides were any good in cups he'd surely have won an LDV vans trophy or at least reached the final or even a regional final? As for tactics, was he not derided by our fans for his tactical naivety in his two European games this season?

Magilton "believed to be in the frame" according the The Herald...

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines/display.var.2511152.0.Magilton_on_Millers_short_list.php

Willie Miller, Aberdeen's director of football, last night revealed he had now discarded many of the applicants who believe they should succeed Jimmy Calderwood in the manager's chair at Pittodrie, with Jim Magilton, recently replaced at Ipswich Town by Roy Keane, believed to be in the frame.

Miller, who, along with chairman Stewart Milne, delivered the news to Calderwood that his five-year reign in charge at Pittodrie was at an end, promised fans he would find the right man for the job as the team prepare themselves for another European campaign next season.

He stressed that with a Europa League tie on either July 16 or July 30, depending on the outcome of Saturday's Homecoming Scottish Cup final, the timescale for bringing in a new man was tight.

"Applications have come in from a diverse area," he said, "including overseas. So, it has been an arduous task, especially given the standard. The quality of the applicants has been exceptional."

Mark McGhee, the Motherwell manager, waiting in the wings hoping for an invitation to take over from his friend, Gordon Strachan, at Celtic Park, tops the Aberdeen board's most-wanted list, although no approach has yet been made to him.

McGhee was overlooked for the job when Ebbe Skovdahl was appointed a decade ago but, should his hopes for the Parkhead job disintegrate, a return to the club where he was a star player under Sir Alex Ferguson probably would appeal to him.

Another former Ferguson star, Neale Cooper, might now feel the time is right for him to seek a bigger opportunity after failing to lead his Peterhead side into the second tier of Scottish football.

Cooper has served a reasonable managerial apprenticeship, first with Ross County, then at Hartlepool United and Gilligham before replacing Steve Paterson at Balmoor last year.

The appearance of Magilton's name as a candidate would be intriguing, especially given his experience over the past three years when he managed Ipswich Town, a club for which he played with distinction.

It was his failure to reach the play-offs of the Coca-Cola Championship this year, however, that brought about his demise at Portman Road, where he was shown the door just a month ago, insisting as he left that he would seek an early return to football.

The Irishman, who also played in midfield for Southampton, Sheffield Wednesday and Oxford United, may be seen as the kind of young coach who could take Aberdeen forward, while his lack of knowledge of the Scottish scene could be offset with the appointment of someone such as Cooper as his assistant.

Eric Black, a team-mate of Cooper and McGhee in the halcyon years at Pittodrie, is a fans favourite in the north-east but there would be huge questions marks over whether he would deem the job bigger than assisting Steve Bruce in the English Premier League at Wigan Athletic.

Black has gone on record before as stating he would not like to uproot his family from their home in the Midlands, another reason for him to consider a move back to Aberdeen as not attractive.

One applicant unlikely to be considered is Peter Nicholas, a former Aberdeen player and Wales internationalist, recently sacked by Llanelli. He admitted he has applied for the job and pointed to leading his former club to the Welsh Premier League title last season, as a guide to his abilities.

"With three successive seasons in Europe," he said, "including the Champions League last year, I have a strong track record."

Lee Richardson throws his hat into the ring.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/8073561.stm

Richardson interested in Dons job

Former Aberdeen midfielder Lee Richardson

Richardson played over 60 times for the Dons in the early 1990s

Former Aberdeen midfielder Lee Richardson has confirmed to BBC Scotland that he is interested in the manager's job at Pittodrie.

The 40-year-old left his post as manager of English League Two club Chesterfield in early May after two seasons in charge.

"My CV is on its way to Aberdeen and they should receive it in the next couple of days," said Richardson.

"I am sure there'll be a lot of applications as it's a great job."

Richardson spent two seasons at the Dons from 1992 and was a member of the side that finished runners-up to Rangers in every domestic competition his first campaign.

After leaving the north-east, he went back to his native England but returned to Scotland for a brief spell at Livingston in 2000.

His next port of call was Chesterfield, where he eventually stepped up to the manager's position in April 2007.

But his contract was not renewed at the end of the season after the team was unable to make a promotion play-off spot.

Aberdeen director of football Willie Miller says the Dons are examining an "extensive list of quality candidates" for their managerial vacancy.

Motherwell manager Mark McGhee and Wigan assistant Eric Black, both former Dons strikers, are among the favourites to take over at Pittodrie.

Another former Dons striker, Dean Windass, has expressed an interest in a return to Pittodrie, but the club are unlikely to put their trust in a managerial novice, while Plymouth boss Paul Sturrock has been linked with a return to Scotland.

People on other boards are saying Stevie Nicol, guy certainly seems like a winner and would probably be a good appointment.

Newell would probably jump at the chance.

Kevin Keegan or Thomas Doll for me.

8)

I have mentioned Steve Nicol in the past got to the MLS final 2 years running and somthing like 3 years out of 4 but never won it. His team seems to have gone off the boil recently though.