Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Protest on Saturday 11th April

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Westenddon:

Has any of your group thought through the fact that a badly organised, badly pitched (if we win), half hearted attempt at a protest will have exactly the opposite effect to the one desired here ? I respect your right to do it but the odds are that this protest is unlikely to carry a significant amount of weight and substance, even if you get 100+ people out. If that happens then you will be reinforcing the club and management view that the dissenters in our support are a only a minority of ill-informed reactionaries. This will provide them with increased courage in their convictions and will allow them to continue to hide behind the idea that the 'real fans' who they meet 'on holiday' or in the streets are right behind the team. The club have very little history of reacting positively to such lightweight pressure groups and I suspect that you will find your protest will lead to further entrenchment of the management, exactly not what you are looking for I assume.

You could be well be right, again I'll open myself up to mockery and say the honest truth is that I've never taken part in a protest like this and none of us know how it'll go.

While I take your point regarding the protest having the opposite effect, I'll disagree on that. Time will tell I suppose, but it really is as simple as us feeling that there's a lot to gain from this and very little to lose. As Pittodrie are now aware of what's planned, they'll already be considering what the impact of any protest will have on some of the fan's feelings on JC.

Let's use the ball park figure of 100 there purely to protest. When you chuck in probably a similar amount of folk there to have a look and see what this protest is all about, and a bit of media presence - you've got a fairly sizeable group there. If it's a bad result for us on Saturday then I'd even go as far to say that the demo will swell up and the sheer presence of people will be enough to get a fairly strong message across.

In addition you will further alienate the support from the club through increased media attention as they will be incapable of dissecting the support into factions who support or do not support your rabble. If any of your group have been at the last two games they will have witnessed a team who are shell-shocked and downtrodden and this division between fans and club will intensify that feeling. Regardless of your views of the management if you are a fan of the club you would at least try to look at how this is affecting the players on the park. They require support more than ever and I would suggest that there are better ways to express discontent than this option, letters, petitions whatever form it takes a well thought out written word with a volume of support is significantly more poignant than any half-jacked screaming protester.

The EE are happy to publish articles with players like Jamie Smith coming out and backing the manager, rather than the mollycodldling appraoch I feel that if the players are true to their word then they'd come out and fight for their manager?

There have been plenty of other ways discontent has been spread - a mjaor supporters group publishing an open letter asking for his dismissal, online petitions, booing at games and most importantly - folk staying away.

This is just another way of expressing that discontent.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Westenddon:

Has any of your group thought through the fact that a badly organised, badly pitched (if we win), half hearted attempt at a protest will have exactly the opposite effect to the one desired here ? I respect your right to do it but the odds are that this protest is unlikely to carry a significant amount of weight and substance, even if you get 100+ people out. If that happens then you will be reinforcing the club and management view that the dissenters in our support are a only a minority of ill-informed reactionaries. This will provide them with increased courage in their convictions and will allow them to continue to hide behind the idea that the 'real fans' who they meet 'on holiday' or in the streets are right behind the team. The club have very little history of reacting positively to such lightweight pressure groups and I suspect that you will find your protest will lead to further entrenchment of the management, exactly not what you are looking for I assume.

In addition you will further alienate the support from the club through increased media attention as they will be incapable of dissecting the support into factions who support or do not support your rabble. If any of your group have been at the last two games they will have witnessed a team who are shell-shocked and downtrodden and this division between fans and club will intensify that feeling. Regardless of your views of the management if you are a fan of the club you would at least try to look at how this is affecting the players on the park. They require support more than ever and I would suggest that there are better ways to express discontent than this option, letters, petitions whatever form it takes a well thought out written word with a volume of support is significantly more poignant than any half-jacked screaming protester.

I would disagree with you ajja, I am quite sure 'the club' are well aware of the discontent in the majority of the support and are bunkering down hoping this will blow over. You talk about the two last games and the poor wee team being downtrodden, I would have thought the management would have been able muster them to put in one decent performance out of them since then, what better way to quell discontented fans!

But this is the point of us all, we are not just unhappy at the Dunfermline result its the football on the park outwith the celtic game since the start of the year. If you are discontented what are you meant to do? Im staying here and not going to games, but if someone wants to make a protest its their choice.

The management could tell the players all they like to try and motivate them, but if the players can't translate that into a performance on the park then surely they are more to blame?

No, thats the managements job and possibly they should have brought in motivated players rather than ones who are good to have about the place. This is Calderwoods team, its his responsibility.

A couple of hundred people on a football forum isn't the majority IMO.

The majority don't go on forums at all.

Indeed, but I talk to plenty of people who dont use forums, people in the pub before games and they are not content. Just look at the tiny support on Saturday, that talks volumes.

As I said, you have the right to express your opinions in whichever way you wish but I personally don't agree its the right way to do it. You say you have nothing to lose, I would agree that for those attending the protest that may well be the case but I would question whether they do not have the clubs best interests at heart. The likely outcomes of this protest are to whip up a storm in national press generating ridicule of the clubs support, pile increased pressure on the players to avoid any further errors thereby increasing the possibility of more errors, increase divisions in the support bringing more tension and negativity to the club, continue to derail any chance of european football and therefor improved revenue for the club.

If you really think there is nothing to lose then, in my opinion, you are taking a very myopic and ego-centric view on the events surrounding our club. I think there is a great deal to lose from this protest as outlined above and my previous post. You may be innocent to the way that such events operate but you must be aware that there is a high probability that any content likely to attend such an event is likely to be high on bile, venom and poison and low on reasoned thinking. The heady cocktail of football, booze and frustration is never going to paint a pretty picture or send any sort of message other than a reactionary one. Good luck with getting across your message anyway. I will watch with a minor amount of interest and a great deal of disdain.

So where's the money coming from for the payoff and to fund the signing of new players?

Or do you believe a new manager would be happy to come in, make no new signings, and get this team playing in a motivated way?

Your right money is the key thing, but I do believe a new manager could come in and change things with what we have got. I spent quite a long time advocating the removal of Voghts from the Scotland job as I knew so much more could be done with the team if managed properly and Walter Smith then Alex McLeish showed that it could.

I would disagree with you ajja, I am quite sure 'the club' are well aware of the discontent in the majority of the support and are bunkering down hoping this will blow over. You talk about the two last games and the poor wee team being downtrodden, I would have thought the management would have been able muster them to put in one decent performance out of them since then, what better way to quell discontented fans!

But this is the point of us all, we are not just unhappy at the Dunfermline result its the football on the park outwith the celtic game since the start of the year. If you are discontented what are you meant to do? Im staying here and not going to games, but if someone wants to make a protest its their choice.

1. I agree, players should be reacting positively and it pisses me off that they don't. However, they are just people like you and I and are subject to the pressures brought about by a support who boo and shout bile at them and organise protests while they sit 4th in the league. I'm not happy with their seeming inability to respond well but it doesn't mean I don't understand it and I personally choose to try and get passed my anger and support the players in the hope that a positive message lands a better strike than a negative one.

2. I am well aware that if people want to protest its their choice, hence the reason why I said it. That said, I don't have to agree with protesting. Maybe read my post before reacting.

Indeed, but I talk to plenty of people who dont use forums, people in the pub before games and they are not content. Just look at the tiny support on Saturday, that talks volumes.

I don't think that anyone is arguing that the majority of fans are content. The discontent is apparent on every forum and in every crowd at games. We all see that change would probably be for the better but some of us are keen to look deeper than 'get him to fuck' and worry about the future when it comes.

1. I agree, players should be reacting positively and it pisses me off that they don't. However, they are just people like you and I and are subject to the pressures brought about by a support who boo and shout bile at them and organise protests while they sit 4th in the league. I'm not happy with their seeming inability to respond well but it doesn't mean I don't understand it and I personally choose to try and get passed my anger and support the players in the hope that a positive message lands a better strike than a negative one.

2. I am well aware that if people want to protest its their choice, hence the reason why I said it. That said, I don't have to agree with protesting. Maybe read my post before reacting.

:ooh::lolabove: Wheres the positivity gone  ???:thumbsup:

I don't think that anyone is arguing that the majority of fans are content. The discontent is apparent on every forum and in every crowd at games. We all see that change would probably be for the better but some of us are keen to look deeper than 'get him to fuck' and worry about the future when it comes.

Thats one of the reasons I want to see him replaced, the future. As apparently we have a heap of talented youngsters coming though and looking at his record I fear they aint going to get the chances they require.

A couple of hundred people on a football forum isn't the majority IMO.

The majority don't go on forums at all.

Aye but just because they don't go on forums doesn't mean they're not allowed an opinion on forums.

I heard there was nearly a protest outside Reekie's house over the system clock problems by a bunch of people who don't use the forum.

Your right money is the key thing, but I do believe a new manager could come in and change things with what we have got. I spent quite a long time advocating the removal of Voghts from the Scotland job as I knew so much more could be done with the team if managed properly and Walter Smith then Alex McLeish showed that it could.

Really? So the shite players that we have in our team - Young, Mair, Foster, Mackie, Mulgrew, Maguire, Bossu...to name a few - that you often complain about, would suddenly become 'footballers' thanks to a new manager? So Jimmy is responsible for these players' limited ability? *

*Limited ability as claimed by some/many - not necessarily my opinion!

I think I may upset people on the BBC 606 forum, including the head protester, by trying to get names of people who are going to laugh at the dozen or so who are 'protesting'

As a comeback they are accusing me of being a Curly Watts lookalike, not being a true fan and think I will be there to shield JC and take him to Jimmy Chungs for a meal for 2.

I knew

I knew!

You really are a fucking plunger.

Thats one of the reasons I want to see him replaced, the future. As apparently we have a heap of talented youngsters coming though and looking at his record I fear they aint going to get the chances they require.

Name one player that Jimmy should have 'brought through'.

Westenddon:

Good post Ajja, i'm also worried that this protest goes badly wrong.

But this is where i stand - i've stopped going to away games recently after 10 years not missing games. I'm fucked off with Calderwood boring football and also with the standard of football overall. The scary thing for me is that the games i've missed i've not been that bothered.

Inverness will be my last game this season since i'm off to oz for awhile but i'm seriously considering not getting a season ticket, pick and choose my games and also stop going to away games. I would never ever see myself stop going to football but i've had enough. QOS sickened me but Dunfermline has made me worse. This is sad for me but i'm actually not bothered where we finish in the league, if we get europe fantastic although the fat cunt will still be there, if we don't then i think the board will sack him (i hope if not then thats me - had enough)

I hope this protest is a success that over 100 people will be there making their voices heard - i do hope some of you will join in too as this is not a afc-chat vs donstalk. Its about us JMG guys being heard imho. I don't think letters or petitions work that well although i'm sure willie miller mail bag was full after dunfermline game.

I hope this protest is a success that over 100 people will be there making their voices heard - i do hope some of you will join in too as this is not a afc-chat vs donstalk. Its about us JMG guys being heard imho. I don't think letters or petitions work that well although i'm sure willie miller mail bag was full after dunfermline game.

It has never been about anything other than hysteria vs pragmatism in my opinion. I know people on afc chat who are pragmatic and I know people on DT who are hysterical. It just so happens there is a dominance of one or the other on each site. I've never been one for reacting without thinking first and I fear this protest will be dominated by exactly that.