Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Protest on Saturday 11th April

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a while back when RTYD initally had a chat with him after Calderwood labled most dons fans as "keyboard hardmen"

I doubt he said "most dons fans", I'd imagine (and I have a vivid imagination) that he said most of the fans having a go at him online were keyboard hardmen, if he said that at all and didn't just have his words interpreted for him by people who want nothing more than any opportunity to paint him in a bad light.

dissapointing turn out - but im a man of my word i said i would join no matter what when i seen the poor turn out it would have been easy to carry on walking up the road but then i would have probably got more abuse if i wasnt there for "bottling" it on here and the hat

Catch 22, dissapointed with the lack of pitch forks and burning sticks looks like the aberdeen team is not the only thing that was lacking in organisation.

in my opinion if anything was going to happen it would have happened after dunfermline and the oppertunity was missed.

No harm in standing up for what you believe in though.

I would say he's bang on, neutrals will view the protesters as fantasists who are living in the 80's and the protest was a pathetic display of strength by those who want the club to wilfully piss money up against the wall by sacking a manager who's less than 1 year into a 3 year contract.

Neutrals??? Define 'neutral' - do you mean 'non-Dons fans' or do you mean 'Dons fans who are neutral about whether Calderwood stays or goes'?

If you mean the former - really couldn't give a fuck what they think, we know that we're not living in an 80s fantasy land, it's just a shame that lots of Scottish media commentators can't be bothered doing the extra bit of research required to understand this (in absolute fairness, however, the comments in the media have been much more supportive of digrsuntled Aberdeen fans, post-Dunfermline, than I was expecting, particularly Spiers in the Times and Grant in the Sunday Herald).

If you mean the latter - frankly, any AFC fan who could accuse another of "living in an 80s fantasy" simply because they're pissed off with the way things are at the moment would be beneath contempt. So I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt...  ;D

modest group still calling for change at top

No Red Army uprising – more a display of apathy

By Michael Gannon

Published: 13/04/2009

As protests go, the gathering of a small band of disaffected Aberdeen supporters who converged in front of the main stand on Saturday hardly invoked memories of the fall of the Berlin Wall.

A group of around 30 and another handful of observers, convened after the 1-0 victory to call for the removal of manager Jimmy Calderwood, who they deem has come to the end of his shelf life at Pittodrie.

In the end the demonstration was a rather sad affair. Rather than a passionate showing of their disapproval, this was more like a collection of the apathetic.

There was no chanting or show of banners, instead there were pockets of supporters who simply stood around looking rather fed up with their lot.

There was a danger of this becoming somewhat Monty Pythonesque as rumours grew of a protest against the protest.

Those who did remain outside the main door of Pittodrie wanted their manager and board to face the inquisition.

“Calderwood won’t face the fans,†one said. “You cannot even say anything at the annual meeting and the board were hiding here again today.â€

Quite what they were expecting is anyone’s guess but it would have been an interesting precedent had either Calderwood or chairman Stewart Milne appeared to speak to the crowd.

The powers that be may view this subdued uprising as vindication, but it would be a dangerous stance to adopt. There may not have been a baying mob outside the gates, but there remains scepticism among the support.

This was not the day, or the way, to show it, however. The mood at Pittodrie was already sombre. The minute’s silence and collection of banners before kick-off with the names of the 16 men killed in the North Sea helicopter tragedy was poignant and appropriate and led to a reflective afternoon.

On the pitch matters also took the wind out of the sails of the dissidents. The narrow but deserved victory against Caley Thistle secured a top-six place for the fifth successive season.

A modest claim for a club of Aberdeen’s stature that may be, but compared to what preceded makes it worth noting.

Calderwood is not without his critics, even if they did not turn up en masse on Saturday, but the main problem the club has seems to be apathy.

There is sizeable chunk of the Red Army who crave tangible success. In this parish that means a cup. Until Calderwood delivers some silverware he will continue to be unloved by sections of his club’s support. In the meantime the focus is on qualification for next season’s Europa League. By half past five on Saturday even the remaining dregs of the protest admitted the same.

One demonstrator held a piece of A4 paper with the words Time To Go. Advice which washed over Calderwood, but which the rest of the group heeded soon after.

• 2 weeks later...
GORDON STRACHAN insists Jimmy Calderwood should ignore fans calling for his head — because they are the same people who go on reality TV shows.

Dons gaffer Caldo has come under fire from supporters after his side’s humiliating Cup KO by Dunfermline.

The AFC Supporters Trust sent a letter to director of football Willie Miller asking him to sack Calderwood and his management team.

And despite their win over Inverness last weekend a small batch of around 30 fans stayed behind after the game to demand he be axed.

Ahead of the Dons’ visit to Parkhead, Celtic boss Strachan claimed such people can’t be taken seriously.

He said: “Let’s get this right. Who are the fans? How many were there? 30? Now think what’s the fan base for a club like Aberdeen? 500,000 throughout the world?

“How many people agreed with this? But who cares? I’m sure Jimmy isn’t caring that there were 30 people shouting at him. I’ve had a lot more than that!

“It’s like the people who come before an Old Firm game and stand outside two hours before and boo the bus in. You can’t take them seriously.

“It’s the same with this: ‘Do you want to stay behind and boo Jimmy’?

“Most sensible people go home, get on the bus, talk to their mates or go to the pub.

“It’s like these people who go on Britain’s Got Talent. It’s the same people. Who lets these people go on that? Eating five Ferrero Rocher?

“They are the same people who boo a bus. And stay behind after games.

“You can’t take it seriously, 30 people jumping around, 80 per cent under the age of 12 hoping Sky catch up with them and interview them.

“So 30 people out of all those Aberdeen fans? It just doesn’t count. Jimmy has a terrific record and he is a great manager.

“Aberdeen seem to like coming here to play which is good — but we seem to like getting results against them.â€

Strachan admits he IS willing to accept criticism if it is dealt out in a constructive way.

But not in the form of a call to a radio phone-in or a group protest like that of the Dons fans.

He added: “You take on board everybody’s opinion, as long as you think it matters and it is being given in the right way.

“Then you’ll accept it. I had a fan come up to me at Coventry and the poor guy had waited, it must have been for two hours, for me to come out after a game.

“And he put in a pleasant way, as well as he could, he said: ‘Gordon I think you’re this and that — but I just don’t think you are the man for us at the moment’.

“You take that in, because he was hurting because his club wasn’t doing well.

Advertisement

Click here to find out more!

“He was a grown man, his wife was waiting in the car and he was standing in the pouring rain and he had an opinion. But he did it in the right way.

“And that has more of an effect on you than 30 kids screaming and shouting just for the sake of keeping the cameras happy.

“There is a way of making your complaint if you are genuinely unhappy. Write a constructive letter. Then you look at who is doing the booing. What do they know about football, what do they know about life, what do they know about where their club is going? That’s what I am saying.

“I don’t know when the next great spell is coming for Aberdeen, but I am sure it will come.

“The fact is money counts these days. Nobody is going to move Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal because they spend all the money.

“And I don’t see any reason why Celtic and Rangers should be moved because we spend more money than anyone else either. So deal with it, get on with it. Jimmy’s dealing with it, his players are dealing with it, so the rest of you get on with it.

“And it’s not just Aberdeen. I’m talking about any fan mumbling about way back when.

“It’s about the people who spend the most money now.

“When you get up there where the money league is, it’s about who plays better on the day.

“You go to any game now, no matter what team is at home. If you’re not winning at half-time they boo.

“If you are not winning after 90 minutes they boo. That’s part of life now.â€

Strachan’s side head into today’s game with just a one point lead at the top, but with Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink back in form.

Strachan said: “We always knew Jan was going to score goals again.

“It is nice to see all his hard work come off, he has never once let his head go down, he has never let his form affect training or the mood of the camp.

“Some people are selfish when they are not doing well or not scoring goals which can affect the rest of the camp but he hasn’t done that.â€

Hadn't seen this on here.

Also noted this great reaction.

The fact is, the only people who rediculed the protest are the one's who want him to stay, and their opinion is not relevant

:-\

The fact is, the only people who rediculed the protest are the one's who want him to stay, and their opinion is not relevant

This is all what's wrong with some of the JMG crowd.  They can't string a sentence together, and they are deluded because they can't seem to grasp that there are a large number of fans who are not happy, but also did not want to protest.

This is all what's wrong with some of the JMG crowd.  They can't string a sentence together, and they are deluded because they can't seem to grasp that there are a large number of fans who are not happy, but also did not want to protest.

Precisely. Those self same fuckwits would have been waiting for the minute Dunfermline, or any other cunt for that matter, put us out of the cup and when it happened, they gleefully opened up thier photoshop for some rib tickling ridicule of Calderwood.

There really has been a bit too much eagerness to get fired into the club, though more really about the manager. Some, we all know who, are not happy. Not happy with Calderwood. Understandable, without alternatives of any fucking use and without any grasp of the job he has actually done and the context it has been done in but understandable nonetheless. Not happy with the Director of Football. Understandable, if you have no idea of his responsibilities I suppose. Not happy with the chairman. Understandable but he has employed people to run the club who really should know what they are doing, but at times dissatisfaction with the way the club is run, any facet of it, is part and parcel of supporting a team.

Some folk, malcontents, maladjusts, whatever, need to open themselves up to having a fucking life, it is way too short to waste it in futile attention seeking gestures that do nothing to enhance anything at the club.