Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

I heard about this yesterday, an ICt fan on another forum reckons he'll sign for us soon.

Don't wnat to put a downer on things but should we not have already been on for this guy before going from COunty to ICT, personally players like him froma lower division are what we should be looking for.

Don't wnat to put a downer on things but should we not have already been on for this guy before going from COunty to ICT, personally players like him froma lower division are what we should be looking for.

Ahhhh..... the age old arguement.  For what its worth I agree with you.... however, there are loads of people who will, unfairly I believe, point towards JKs reign, where bringing in first division players effectively turned us into a first division outfit.

I've always maintained that I believe a 3rd placed SPL side could be built from a selection of the best players from the lower leagues.  JK was well out of his depth, he was a shite manager that signed shite players... its that simple.

You have to do it within reason though, one or two good first division players at a young age looking for a challenge would help out team i think.  We are linked with the guy Barrowman from COunty, he has scored something like 25 goals in the second division, now i know that aint SPL but i think he is at a decent age where he is able to adapt to the challenge and prove to people he can do well at a higher level even if he only scores 5 goals in his first season he can only get better.

Also my self and Manc don spoke about players in league 2 who are well worth a punt, we just need our manager to have faith in them.

You have to do it within reason though, one or two good first division players at a young age looking for a challenge would help out team i think.  We are linked with the guy Barrowman from COunty, he has scored something like 25 goals in the second division, now i know that aint SPL but i think he is at a decent age where he is able to adapt to the challenge and prove to people he can do well at a higher level even if he only scores 5 goals in his first season he can only get better.

Also my self and Manc don spoke about players in league 2 who are well worth a punt, we just need our manager to have faith in them.

Andy Barrowman, prior to Ross County, failed to make an impact at Kilmarnock, QoS and somewhere in England, as well as not making it past the Birmingham City youth team (I think). Personally I think he may be worth a punt, but one season scoring lots of goals (in the 2nd division) does not make a player, see D. Mackie's infrequent seasons of scoring 10+ goals. He has English teams interested in him too, as well as a concrete offer from Inverness already I believe.

Aberdeen target Cowie wants Inverness Caley stay

By Ally MacLeod - May 27, 2008

Don Cowie insists he wants to stay with Inverness Caley Thistle, despite interest from Aberdeen.

With nine goals to his name, the 25-year-old midfielder has enjoyed a successful first season in Inverness since joining from Ross County last summer.

And he has no plans to follow the likes of John Rankin, Mark Brown and Craig Dargo out the exit door.

[glow=red,2,300]"It's very flattering Aberdeen might be interested. However, I'm just here and want to make my mark at Caley,"[/glow] he said.

"I've still got a year left on my contract and if I can continue to play well then hopefully will offer me a new deal."

Not sure Aberdeen should be signing any young players.

Any time we sign 'one for the future' the fail to develop beyond where they were when they arrived.  In fact they actually get worse, since 'promising players' and 'fantastic prospects' at Aberdeen eventually regress to the stage where they are released on a free and sign for non-league teams.

We don't have the coaches or training set up to bring young players' talent out, so we should stick to signing mediocre 25+ year old players who at least know the basics and don't have to rely on our abysmal facilities to learn their trade.

Signing anyone under 25 is going to be a waste of time and money, and it's not fair on a player to destroy whatever prospects they might have had of developing into the player they have the potential to be.

Mind you, at 25 Cowie is hardly a <i>young</i> player.

Not sure Aberdeen should be signing any young players.

Any time we sign 'one for the future' the fail to develop beyond where they were when they arrived.  In fact they actually get worse, since 'promising players' and 'fantastic prospects' at Aberdeen eventually regress to the stage where they are released on a free and sign for non-league teams.

We don't have the coaches or training set up to bring young players' talent out, so we should stick to signing mediocre 25+ year old players who at least know the basics and don't have to rely on our abysmal facilities to learn their trade.

Signing anyone under 25 is going to be a waste of time and money, and it's not fair on a player to destroy whatever prospects they might have had of developing into the player they have the potential to be.

Mind you, at 25 Cowie is hardly a <i>young</i> player.

ZOMFG L33T CODE M8!!!!!11!!!111one

barrowman would not do a good job for us, 29 goals in the 2nd division, doesn't mean he'd make a mark in the spl.  He's wanting a big pay anyway, and has been promoting the quality in engerland in the local press.  Has told Derek Adams he wants away 20 mins before going on his hols according to the RSJ

Don cowie was a stand out for ross county.  He fed Davie Winters almost all his goals when at county.  Went to inverness and is managing to cut it at the higher level.  In my opinion, we already have squad midfielders on the books,  so no need.  His ex is/was pretty tasty though, and aparrently dirty.

If we were going to sign anyone from ICT it should be blackie.  Im trying to remember the last aberdeen midfielder that combined real tenacity with skill and the 1st that springs to mind is rico.  I know he would cost £  but i also know him and special brew do not get on.  Not saying we shouldnt try to sign cowie as well though as he's been the key man in ict's recent revival according to a few fans i know