Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Player update

43 minutes ago, ayrshire_don74 said:

There is a pattern its not bad luck  ... you said yourself re scouting looks like he had a few injuries...

image.png.793384793fa39e3223d4d217137360f1.png

He missed 18 games in 9 seasons according to your own statistics. That's a sign of a player who most definitely isn't injury prone. Who else has an average injury rate of 2 games per season over nearly a decade? There's no pattern there until he reached Aberdeen (why do you even think that there is?), his ankle injury clearly taking its toll more than normal for that type of injury. He's a guy that has always prided himself on his fitness, so I think a degree of bad luck is apparent in this case.

I’m gutted it didn’t work out with Bryson. On paper, a fantastic player and he should have been a huge boost to our squad. I’m inclined to side with Rico on this one. Shite luck for all concerned. That said, I’ll be glad to see him go because it hasn’t worked out and it’s a waste of an expensive bench spot .

I thought Bryson would have been a brilliant signing for us and I know the Derby fans worship him and the club did offered him a new deal, but was told he wouldn't be a first choice, so chose to leave and come to us as he feltl he still had plenty to offer. 

We should have been getting a player to enhance our midfield, but sadly it just never happened. I don't think it was a bad signing, just one that didn't work out to well for either party.

I wouldn't class him with the other dross mentioned as I feel we just never saw the best of him through a combination of how we play and also the injury factor.

I still reckon he will come back and haunt us at some point.

Sounds like Bryson is officially gone. Getting pelters from many, feel for the guy, don't think he did anything wrong, just couldn't stay fit. Then again, if he was fit would McCrorie have been signed? Not the exact same positional player, but another center mid. Worked out for us.

21 minutes ago, Jute said:

Bryson would be off his head .

I think that was the issue here. A weegie semi-pro team is about his level. If he's even fit for that.

He was shocking in the cup game last season at Killie and got hooked at half time, deservedly. That should have been it for him. I could scarcely believe it when he was back in the team for the first game of this season.

3 hours ago, tom_widdows said:

St Johnstone on a 1 year contract apparently

No mention of it on St J club website. Would surely have been on there by now if he had signed?

I find it very strange that an SPL club would take a punt on him, given our medical team/physios couldn't keep him fit for much longer that 6-8 weeks at a time tops. All I could see happening is that he extracts a large wage from a club with a very limited budget for very very little in return. A pay as you play deal could work....but I've never actually seen anybody on a true deal like that....anyone that has nominally a PAYP deal seems to have a guaranteed basic wage before the PAYP kicks in (eg Andy Carroll at Newcastle who supposedly has a £30k/wk basic but triples up to £90k if he plays)

7 hours ago, tup1 said:

We need to get Scott Wright to sign a new contract as soon as possible. He’s earned it now.

Not so sure. He’s finally finding form but it’s been years to get to where he is. Can he maintain it? If he’s still this good by Xmas perhaps a contract is due but as I’ve, and other have too, I suspect he’s the new Peter Pawlett. Until he maintains form for a prolonged period I’ll hold my judgement.

13 minutes ago, tup1 said:

He also had the spell at Dundee where he did really well, prior to getting injured.

I think he's going to get better and better from now on, I think he's a better player than Pawlett ever was.

I hope you are right! Certainly doing well, especially with mcginn fading away, plus he seems to bring the best out of hedges.

• Like 1

We are also playing him in a position that suits him, which coupled with an extended run of games is bringing out the best in him and long may it continue. He certainly is a talented loon who can play a bit and maybe his bad injury has made him think about his career and made him come back stronger and more determined.

3 hours ago, tup1 said:

He also had the spell at Dundee where he did really well, prior to getting injured.

I think he's going to get better and better from now on, I think he's a better player than Pawlett ever was.

Completely agree, a much better footballer than pawlett. I liked pawlett, but he never had the touch and skill that Wright does. Both have excellent movement off the ball, which often gets missed (often by managers too it seems). Just by being there he makes space for hedges and makes Watkins' life a little easier too. I do get the impression that he's not a McInnes type player and he's just waiting for the right minute to replace with a more solid McGeouch type. He's the difference between the very watchable performances we've had so far this season and the dull wins we racked up last. In fairness to McInnes, Wright did start a few games before injury last season. 

There's an opportunity to mould him into an even better player too, which is the really interesting part.