Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

• 3 weeks later...

I'm obviously delighted he has started scoring but looking at the teams Sam has scored against includes St.Mirren x 3, Hamilton Academical x 2, Dundee x 2 and Livingston once with penalties versus Celtic and Heart Of Midlothian it is really only opener against our Gorgie friends I would say is his most important contribution.  Surely we should now be expecting him to be grabbing goals when going to Easter Road, Rugby Park, Tynecastle, McDiarmid Park and the like.

He offers more than just goals against weak teams though Seebass. His hold up play is generally ok, he’s disciplined and wins free kicks and he usually puts in a decent shift, and there’s plenty other players in the squad who know where the goals are - McGinn and GMS, Shinnie and Ferguson have both scored important goals, and right across the back 4 Logan, McKenna, Considine and Lowe can all score. You’re right with your final sentence though, I do expect him to score every game now, but I’m not going to over-analyse it if he doesn’t, as long as he’s contributing to a solid team performance.

Can’t see why english championship sides wouldn’t be looking to sign him. Big, strong, clever, now scoring all sorts of goals. Type of forward from up here that would do well. Plus he’s a Nigel too, bound to increase interest and value.

That said, if tattie heed at the huns is worth £8 million. Cossie is worth that and more. Can’t see the clubs mentioned ponying up that.

Not a hope in hell any clubs will be viewing Cosgrove as a possible recruit right now. However if he bangs in another 10-12 goals between now and season's end he might just end up on the radar of a lower end English Championship side. Consistent performance is what they want to see not just a 2 month hot streak.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Really curious to see if he’s with us next season. Today was the perfect example of him. Not particularly good, goal scored after some woeful touches, and a honking missed penalty. Yet he scored 21 this season. We sold Rooney because the manager wanted more from a center forward despite his scoring record, but I just don’t see Sam as that upgrade. Our team play has been god awful in many ways this season too and big Sam is a major factor in that, the lumping of long aimless high balls to a limited target man forward. Don’t see any difference in our play if he’s replaced by Curtis Main too.

Stewart not returning is a good thing, feel the same way about Sam.

cant really argue with the goals return, never looks happy though does he ? Still looks very raw some of his control and touches are shocking , then some are great , if he has similar return next season cant really complain ?

Exactly this. Only 20 months older than Bruce Anderson. Is a lot better when the ball is played into his body rather than expecting speculative headed flick-ons to come off. Needs to gain the confidence to not take the ball immediately back the way first, but he also needs actual runners to allow this. I don't think it's Cosgrove that has engineered our direct approach, this has come from having poorer movement from our wide players and midfielders and so he is an easy option. It's definitely not Cosgrove's fault that we haven't been able to find another striker to add to the goals this season. That second goal yesterday shows that having a big striker doesn't preclude you from scoring a great goal with the ball being played on the deck and Cosgrove's part in it was good (his pass to May was perfect in making sure that he wouldn't be able to shoot himself, which was clever play). We need another good striker, but having Cosgrove is a definite bonus.

A 22yo boy who scored 21 goals in a season, despite not scoring his first until October, and people would seriously be happy for him to leave?

Yes for the right money. What that money would be is obviously up to McInnes/the board but a £20k punt definitely has a cash in value.

Should we not receive an offer that the club deems acceptable then of course I'm perfectly happy to have him stay until/if we do

Thing is though, DM doesn't exactly have a great track record with replacing strikers.  Yes he's cumbersome, I mean look at his second ish touch for his goal on Sunday.  Fuck me, lucky to get another chance at it, but the most important stats is goals scored.  I don't think we can afford to have a sluggish start like we did this season with our strikers. 

Unless it's silly money and the replacement is guaranteed goals, better the devil you know.  He's still incredibly young.

you could argue that Cosgrove hasn't had the best supply.  we have really missed christie and maclean this season, no-one in the middle is able to take the ball with opposition nearby and still move it forward which has led to our build up play being pretty sluggish due to having to rely on always going wide.  I would defo keep him.

Hypothetical question....

If we were to sell Cosgrove and the money raised were used to buy Lowe......would you take that deal or stick with Cosgrove and try to get another left back for free?

To be honest, I'd probably still stick with Cosgrove. He's the only striker have who scores goals. Would be lunacy to his money from him for a left back.  It's not an either or situation imo.  We would still need both and i'd hope that the club knew this.

To be honest, I'd probably still stick with Cosgrove. He's the only striker have who scores goals. Would be lunacy to his money from him for a left back.  It's not an either or situation imo.  We would still need both and i'd hope that the club knew this.

The way I see it is that until we get an investor willing to pump multi millions into the team, we will always be a side that relies on buying cheaply and selling for a profit to keep us financially healthy.

Cosgrove cost £20k. A total punt that in October looked very much like it had failed. Suddenly he caught fire and started banging in the goals, albeit 7 from the penalty spot. But let's face it. An EPL striker he will never be. Probably not even top end of the Championship....at best he might get a gig in the lower reaches of it but even then it would likely be as an impact sub rather than a regular starter. EFL1 clubs should definitely be interested though...and a good number of those pay transfer fees and wages that blow us out the water. Cosgrove's limitations mean his value will never be in the multi-millions (albeit with the length of contract we have him tied down on we can effectively ask what we like right now). A realistic valuation is probably £700k-£1million. If we got offered that it represents roughly 3000-5000% return on our initial investment. A fantastic return.

Lowe at the minute has no such ceiling. But (especially if Derby go up) through no fault of hs own may find himself 4th choice left back as Derby would be forced to buy virtually a whole new first team to try to survive. Even if Derby don't go up...Lowe will still be third choice behind Malone and Forsyth who will be fit by the start of the new season. At his age, the last thing he needs is to be playing reserve team football so Derby will probably try to punt him out on loan again. But if they do go up...well they might just decide that if they got a reasonable offer for him that selling might be the best option for both parties. Again Derby have him on a long term contract so could ask what they like but i doubt they'd be too difficult to bargain with given they've had him as a youngster....he might well be valued pretty much the same as Cosgrove. Only Lowe's potential ceiling is a helluva lot higher than Cosgrove's. Even if he cost a million....if he had a season for us similar to the one he just had I reckon he would instantly become worth 4-5 times that outlay. Again fantastic business.

We are rumoured to be after 2 strikers in this window. Who they will be I have no idea, but I doubt they'll want to play second fiddle to Cosgrove. I just wonder if he club already knows of interest in the big man

The way I see it is that until we get an investor willing to pump multi millions into the team, we will always be a side that relies on buying cheaply and selling for a profit to keep us financially healthy.

Cosgrove cost £20k. A total punt that in October looked very much like it had failed. Suddenly he caught fire and started banging in the goals, albeit 7 from the penalty spot. But let's face it. An EPL striker he will never be. Probably not even top end of the Championship....at best he might get a gig in the lower reaches of it but even then it would likely be as an impact sub rather than a regular starter. EFL1 clubs should definitely be interested though...and a good number of those pay transfer fees and wages that blow us out the water. Cosgrove's limitations mean his value will never be in the multi-millions (albeit with the length of contract we have him tied down on we can effectively ask what we like right now). A realistic valuation is probably £700k-£1million. If we got offered that it represents roughly 3000-5000% return on our initial investment. A fantastic return.

Lowe at the minute has no such ceiling. But (especially if Derby go up) through no fault of hs own may find himself 4th choice left back as Derby would be forced to buy virtually a whole new first team to try to survive. Even if Derby don't go up...Lowe will still be third choice behind Malone and Forsyth who will be fit by the start of the new season. At his age, the last thing he needs is to be playing reserve team football so Derby will probably try to punt him out on loan again. But if they do go up...well they might just decide that if they got a reasonable offer for him that selling might be the best option for both parties. Again Derby have him on a long term contract so could ask what they like but i doubt they'd be too difficult to bargain with given they've had him as a youngster....he might well be valued pretty much the same as Cosgrove. Only Lowe's potential ceiling is a helluva lot higher than Cosgrove's. Even if he cost a million....if he had a season for us similar to the one he just had I reckon he would instantly become worth 4-5 times that outlay. Again fantastic business.

We are rumoured to be after 2 strikers in this window. Who they will be I have no idea, but I doubt they'll want to play second fiddle to Cosgrove. I just wonder if he club already knows of interest in the big man

I think you misjudge Lowe's value. Derby could easily get a couple of mil for him from another team down south due to his age and time left on his contract. I don't think it's realistic to expect someone to buy Cosgrove from us - especially since you consider him and EFL1 level striker - at a price which would allow us to buy Lowe, who you think has the potential to be a £4m or £5m player. I don't follow your logic at all.

In answer to your hypothetical question, no I wouldn't sell Cosgrove to fund Lowe.