Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Alan Nixon reporting Stoke are following up on their iniital interest on Cosgrove.

£2million bid incoming allegedly and if rejected then they'll turn thier attention to Shankland

Nowhere near the figure of £7m that's being banded about on Twitter this afternoon.

Someone isn't telling the truth on this one.

Used to do a lot of business in Carlisle and keep in touch with folk down there.

One of my contacts is a season ticket holder and assures me the question was asked at a fans forum and the answer was YES and it is sunstantial

I am with you thoughTC, why when we had him on a pre contract would we agree to a sell on clause ?

Definitely no sell on clause. When he joined up the initial negotiations were to have him on a pre-contract to join up in the summer. It was Carlisle who were keen to do immediate business.....obviously they really didn't rate him at all......hence we paid £25k and got him in the January with no future sell-on clause.

Link to local Carlisle paper with quote referring ot minutes of Carlisle FC board meeting whereby they state there IS a sell on clause.

Absolute fucking lunancy on our behalf if this is the case

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/18192804.former-carlisle-utd-striker-subject-growing-transfer-speculation/

Is that not pretty much standard in all transfers with a fee these days? Since the days of Fraser leaving, we've always had one in. It's kind of what you need to do in order to sign a young player in contract. Probably the way it should work too. Carlisle deserve something in the same way as we would have if Fraser moved. No big deal.

Is that not pretty much standard in all transfers with a fee these days? Since the days of Fraser leaving, we've always had one in. It's kind of what you need to do in order to sign a young player in contract. Probably the way it should work too. Carlisle deserve something in the same way as we would have if Fraser moved. No big deal.

Get what you're saying but to me the "big deal" is the level of sell on percentage.

Also pisses me off that, if indeed there is one then our club having been lying to the fans about it and to me that is also a big deal.

• 5 months later...

Stunned that we got an offer of that level especially given current financial situation most teams round Europe will be in. Can’t blame the lad for turning it down if the story about only getting 24hours to decide is correct but bit shit for club as would have gone a long way to plugging any financial gap.

Its strange how clubs leave there bids till the very last minute. I know it suggests that he wasn't there first target but you would think they could at least make there mind up a few days before the window shut.

May have been, their original bid/bids did not meet our valuation?

Hope he stays.  He may have his detractors but his goal to game stats are better than most of our past strikers, Shearer, Black, McGhee, Dodds, Nicholas, Gilhaus.  This despite playing in what some might suggest is a poorer team.

His game is overall quite poor, he can look OK in spells, but not the type of quality you need if you want to challenge for anything. Regardless of the goals scored by him, he is not anywhere near the class of of any of the above you mentioned.

£2 million would be a hell of a return for a £20k outlay though.

His game is overall quite poor, he can look OK in spells, but not the type of quality you need if you want to challenge for anything. Regardless of the goals scored by him, he is not anywhere near the class of of any of the above you mentioned.

£2 million would be a hell of a return for a £20k outlay though.

Fuck me, I’d take that money in a heart beat. I see Main being able to come up with similar scoring results if given the same patience and playing time Sam got, although my preference would actually to go with a front 3 of Hayes anderson and Kennedy with McGinn at 10. While he scored a bunch I don’t really rate Sam and I think his luck ran out that we take any sort of bid like this. I also think (hope) we are a more creative team this upcoming season with Hayes, Kennedy having a preseason, center mid fit and established, that any striker in our team will get plenty of scoring chances.

I see some lazy reporting suggesting that having accepted an offer for Sam we’re gonna roll over and accept pennies from rasellikbyrawaybigman for McKenna because we’re desperate for cash.

Whilst the latter may well be true I hope we have the bass to push for significantly more than £2M

May have been, their original bid/bids did not meet our valuation?

To a degree it still applies though, I get that they may be trying to drive the price down in negotiations but the amount of times clubs fail to get these deals over the line because its last minute. Plus you would think if bids had been being made over the last few weeks Cosgrove would have been aware and had time to make a decision on  what he would do if an agreement was reached. Anyway I'm not sad that hes staying we need his goals and its not like the funds will be used to strengthen the team.

• 3 weeks later...