Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Obviously it's far too early to tell, especially given it was his first start since he got sent off against the dhimmery, but I was very impressed with his overall game.  He seemed to offer something we haven't had in a long time, someone capable of holding the ball up without committing fouls.  Had a heavy hand in both goals (i'd argue that his role in the second was equal to that of KM).  What is the length of the deal we signed him up on?

Anyway, promising start, so keep it up please.  We've needed someone to stand up and offer something different up front.

:AFC::ultras::AFC:

As i said on Friday night i thought that Cosgrove grew into the game.

He was unlucky not to score with that header in the second half.

However too early to judge properly.

Certainly a gamble signing him.

Let's hope it is one that pays dividends.

He is under contract until the summer of 2020.

At £40k he is a reasonable gamble, similar to Stockley but looks less likely to concede fouls when challening for the ball and as said appears to be able to hold the ball up well. Think the best time to judge will be after he has had a full pre season with us until then expect he is a useful different option....think he will be used from start against sevco and will come off the bench against Hivs/Dhims.

Friday certainly begs the question as to why he didn't appear from the start in the semi. He allowed us, on Friday, to play a more suitable formation against the back 3, with two genuine front players as a partnership. I don't see that being required on Saturday, however he'll definitely be required from the bench if we want to shake things up a little. The monotony of the Rooney/May switch where zero changes was something that should have been dealt with in the summer by ditching Maynard immediately after our Euro exit and getting someone like Cosgrove in at that point. Stockley seems better than he was with hindsight, but I remember saying on here that we should start McLean up front against Apollon because neither Maynard nor Stockley would cut it at that level; it was clear Stockley's mobility isolated him against better teams. Whilst slightly slow and gangly on the turn, Cosgrove seems that little bit more mobile than Stockley and that will work well in our system, where Stockley's greater physical presence - useful down South - only really returned red cards. Still early days, but he looks to be the third option we've been crying out for, and I reckon both Rooney and May will get returns from playing alongside him. Perhaps our hit and hope strategy of signing players is finally paying off.......

As i said on Friday night i thought that Cosgrove grew into the game.

He was unlucky not to score with that header in the second half.

However too early to judge properly.

Certainly a gamble signing him.

Let's hope it is one that pays dividends.

He is under contract until the summer of 2020.

Is it that much of a gamble? Young lad who probably isn't on much, and who we can hopefully develop and improve.

Derek said he was "cheap as chips". Doubt he's on much. And he indicated on Friday just how good an option he is to turn to. Was very pleased with how he played.

Good management right there. What a balloon thing to be quoted saying.

And midget charlatan is considered one of the better managers? Commons on Sunday quoted McInnes as a candidate for Sevco. Is it football, management or people that these "professional" pundits fail to understand?

IIRC, the context of the cheap as chips quote was "he wasn't supposed to join us until the summer but he was cheap as chips so we went for it in January" or words to that effect, which I took to mean the transfer fee rather than specifically his wages.

It doesn't matter whether it was his wages or the fee.

A good manager is aware that what he says can affect not only the employee (the player) but his peers and colleagues (team-mates).

Aye, I laughed at the cheap as chips comment. McInnes seemed to pause for a second like he knew he'd used a poor turn of phrase. It's the one side of McInnes management - the interview - that he's got down to a tee. He's well above yer average Calderwood type cunt when it comes to handling the press, so it's unusual for him to slip up. The players seem to have a lot of respect for McInnes though, and he'll sweep something like that under the carpet pretty quickly - the minor infringement that it is.

I sort of agree tlg. I thought their games complimented one another, without producing anything. It certainly has potential to be a good partnership given time if May can begin to produce some form. A goal in each of the next two games for May would certainly stand him in good stead for next season.

I sort of agree tlg. I thought their games complimented one another, without producing anything. It certainly has potential to be a good partnership given time if May can begin to produce some form. A goal in each of the next two games for May would certainly stand him in good stead for next season.

Absolutely this. Thought they worked well together, and for perhaps first time this season the attack looked cohesive and as if there was a plan. Rooney, as much as as we all love him, isn't a link up player or a target man.

Wary about putting too much pressure on Cosgrove however, as much as him being dismissed as a McInnes dud pre Friday night was garbage. He's still pretty raw, and hopefully with the right level of game time he can grow into a good player for us over time.

It doesn't matter whether it was his wages or the fee.

A good manager is aware that what he says can affect not only the employee (the player) but his peers and colleagues (team-mates).

Maybe Cosgrove is a billy big baws and a public slapping down is what he needs? Not saying that is the case, and I'm also not particularly bothered either way, but it could be the case. Of all the things to fault McInnes on I wouldn't say this is particularly noteworthy.

Maybe Cosgrove is a billy big baws and a public slapping down is what he needs? Not saying that is the case, and I'm also not particularly bothered either way, but it could be the case. Of all the things to fault McInnes on I wouldn't say this is particularly noteworthy.

Absolutely no way the is the case. His confidence was shot to pieces after the debacle of his debut and needed an arm around the shoulder for a few weeks. Thankfully seems to be over it now.

Absolutely no way the is the case. His confidence was shot to pieces after the debacle of his debut and needed an arm around the shoulder for a few weeks. Thankfully seems to be over it now.

I'm playing Devil's advocate to an extent but really none of us have a clue what goes on behind the scenes so those who are picking on something as minor as the cheap as chips comment to have a go at McInnes are being a bit churlish, which is the only reason I mentioned it.

I'm playing Devil's advocate to an extent but really none of us have a clue what goes on behind the scenes so those who are picking on something as minor as the cheap as chips comment to have a go at McInnes are being a bit churlish, which is the only reason I mentioned it.

All I said was that it was a balloon comment.

Either it was or it was not.

Only people who are experienced in managing men are qualified to add value in any debate about the comment.

Most people have never been in management. The proportion of football fans, considerably less.

All I said was that it was a balloon comment.

Either it was or it was not.

Only people who are experienced in managing men are qualified to add value in any debate about the comment.

Most people have never been in management. The proportion of football fans, considerably less.

Indeed. But there are so many behind the scenes variables that we can't know about that it's a pretty insignificant thing to have picked up on. Maybe Cosgrove is feeling the pressure of movin to a bigger club so downplaying his cost etc might be a way of chilling him out? As I said, we don't know the behind the scenes stuff, particularly what McInnes is saying to the player's face, so not really worth worrying about a throwaway comment.

I'm not worrying about it. All I said was that it was a balloon comment.

What goes on behind the scenes is irrelevant to any debate about the publicly-uttered comment.

McInnes made a management mistake. Not a big one, not a significant one but an amateur one.

Which isn't surprising given that it's football management we're talking here.

The reason why McInnes is getting paid over half a Mill this year is a bigger debate. Being paid for his management skills as he is, and as it's our money going into his pocket, I think it's right that we start to ask questions as to whether he's worth it?

I don't see the man as being worth anything more than thanks for your service now fuck off. He is using us and we (Milne) has allowed him to use us.

Edit: Back on topic, however cheap he is or might be, I hope Sam turns out to be good recruitment. His record hardly screams it but it's been less than 120 minutes and AFC are badly screaming out for a big capable unit up top, as we always have been since god knows how long. I loved when he had a dig at Brown personally. Brown's reaction was funny too.

• 8 months later...

Some folk suggesting its unnecessarliy long,but wouldnt imagine his wage demands have shot up too much?,and it all helps with sell-ability  :thumbsup:

Going by his interview he signed what was put in front of him without much negotiation. I doubt he is even in our top 50% in terms of wages.