Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

I think Clarke has brought some stability, and focused on us being organized defensively, for sure. Credit as well due considering the withdrawals, we had Hanlon and Considine playing at the end today, never expected either in a Scotland jersey and neither let us down. I thought McTom was ok these past few games but I’m not really a fan of him at the back. And I agree, happy he’s giving Scottish players a chance, Motherwell Killie hibs, and us obviously ahead of some barely Scottish championship unknown.

I think our back 3 from today plus McKenna and cooper are our central defenders moving forward. I think we’ll see cooper-Gallagher-McKenna next month if fit. Not sure who I see as our starting right wing back, I suppose either ODonnell or Palmer? Obviously it’s Robertson on the left. McTom will move back to holding mid alongside McGinn, and probably Christie. Fraser and dykes certainly seem a partnership up top. Not a bad lineup and confidence is high!

Interestingly Clarke referred to Aberdeen’s 3 at the back as a factor in calling up considine. Wonder if Matty Kennedy would consider Scotland and right wing back, would rather have him in before O’Donnell. He was capped at Scottish youth level, has he played for Northern Ireland??

Edited by LA-Don

6 hours ago, LA-Don said:

I think Clarke has brought some stability, and focused on us being organized defensively, for sure. Credit as well due considering the withdrawals, we had Hanlon and Considine playing at the end today, never expected either in a Scotland jersey and neither let us down. I thought McTom was ok these past few games but I’m not really a fan of him at the back. And I agree, happy he’s giving Scottish players a chance, Motherwell Killie hibs, and us obviously ahead of some barely Scottish championship unknown.

I think our back 3 from today plus McKenna and cooper are our central defenders moving forward. I think we’ll see cooper-Gallagher-McKenna next month if fit. Not sure who I see as our starting right wing back, I suppose either ODonnell or Palmer? Obviously it’s Robertson on the left. McTom will move back to holding mid alongside McGinn, and probably Christie. Fraser and dykes certainly seem a partnership up top. Not a bad lineup and confidence is high!

Interestingly Clarke referred to Aberdeen’s 3 at the back as a factor in calling up considine. Wonder if Matty Kennedy would consider Scotland and right wing back, would rather have him in before O’Donnell. He was capped at Scottish youth level, has he played for Northern Ireland??

Think he has been in the squads for Northern Ireland but never been capped. He did play for Scotland up to U21 level.

5 hours ago, tup1 said:

This result puts to bed the argument that we can't expect to beat Serbia.

If we can beat the Czech Republic, twice, we can beat Serbia.

I agree, definitely feeling a bit more positive about this now. Serbia are bottom of there nations league group, (even though you could argue its a harder group) so they won't be feeling as confident as we are at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/11/2020 at 10:03, tup1 said:

The only disappointment for me is Griffiths being included. He's such a clown that he's bound to undermine the squad spirit that's been built up recently with some off field crap.

In a way I agree with your comments regarding Griffiths as he really is a twenty four carot tool but and it is a big BUT he does have this knack of coming up with something special.

To be honest I think if he had sorted himself out (never going to happen now) he could have played at a level far higher in European football than the VicTIMS.

54 minutes ago, BigAl said:

In a way I agree with your comments regarding Griffiths as he really is a twenty four carot tool but and it is a big BUT he does have this knack of coming up with something special.

To be honest I think if he had sorted himself out (never going to happen now) he could have played at a level far higher in European football than the VicTIMS.

Agree he's a brilliant player. He strikes the ball like few others can do. His two free kicks against England were the peak of his career.

I'm not sure what's happened since then, he is going steadily backwards instead of progressing. He is definitely capable of playing at a higher level in terms of footballing ability.

But his head is up his arse for whatever reason. I'm not sure he's what this tight group of players need right now.

Clarke has been clever and told him he's sub already, which is the correct thing to do. All will be forgiven if he comes on in Serbia and scores the winning goal. 

1 hour ago, manc_don said:

So what are the chances of UEFA stepping in on the side of the serbs? With those players allegedly not being allowed to leave Italy?

Werder Bremen refusing to release there players as well which effects another member of Serbian squad. 

England Iceland in danger of being called off due to Iceland having a game in Denmark first and U.K. government having introduced strict quarantine.

I think there is a chance international football might get cancelled this month. 

So guys, what's the opinion on whether McKenna goes straight back in then.

He has appeared to be a favourite of Clarke to date and when available, he has been selected. In addition reading the Notts Forest forum it would appear as of they've been very impressed by his performances to date for them.

Can't see Considine being anything other than a bench warmer this time around, and probably rightly so. 

22 minutes ago, BigAl said:

He has appeared to be a favourite of Clarke to date and when available, he has been selected. In addition reading the Notts Forest forum it would appear as of they've been very impressed by his performances to date for them.

Can't see Considine being anything other than a bench warmer this time around, and probably rightly so. 

I don't see Andy seeing the field in the future if McKenna and Tierney are fit. 

28 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Aye McKenna will no doubt come back in, and I’ve no issue with that, he’s a great defender.

But I think the defence for the previous two games deserves to start.

Tierney can’t play centre back IMO, he’s too small. So straight choice between McKenna and Considine.

2 hours ago, tup1 said:

Aye McKenna will no doubt come back in, and I’ve no issue with that, he’s a great defender.

But I think the defence for the previous two games deserves to start.

Tierney can’t play centre back IMO, he’s too small. So straight choice between McKenna and Considine.

Isn't Tierney playing left of a three for arsenal? Anyway, I think he'll go Tierney, McKenna, Gallagher. As good as Gallagher has performed, he's very weak on one on one's, being extremely slow to turn. We've been quite lucky to have been up against poorer opposition when he's been in, and I think he could easily get caught against a better front line. That said, McTominay is a liability positionally, and McKenna has his weaknesses too so I'm probably being too harsh. I think the pace of Tierney would compliment the bigger defender in the centre quite nicely and I'd probably play Tierney, McKenna, McTominay, although it would be exceptionally harsh on Gallagher.

6 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Isn't Tierney playing left of a three for arsenal? Anyway, I think he'll go Tierney, McKenna, Gallagher. As good as Gallagher has performed, he's very weak on one on one's, being extremely slow to turn. We've been quite lucky to have been up against poorer opposition when he's been in, and I think he could easily get caught against a better front line. That said, McTominay is a liability positionally, and McKenna has his weaknesses too so I'm probably being too harsh. I think the pace of Tierney would compliment the bigger defender in the centre quite nicely and I'd probably play Tierney, McKenna, McTominay, although it would be exceptionally harsh on Gallagher.

With Tierney's pace I'd be inclined to play him in the middle between Gallagher and McKenna, although not sure whether McKenna or Tierney is used to playing in the middle of a 3. I'm far from sold on McTominay in the back.......or in midfield to be honest.

I don’t think Tierney will play from the start and I don’t think he deserves to either.

We have a winning team just now. My opinion is disrupt this at your peril. Especially for half committed players. Tierney being out with Covid last time did us a favour.

So I won’t be surprised to see the same back 3 as last time. McTominay and Gallagher are certain starters so there’s only one place up for grabs. Considine might well get it.

2 hours ago, LA-Don said:

With Tierney's pace I'd be inclined to play him in the middle between Gallagher and McKenna, although not sure whether McKenna or Tierney is used to playing in the middle of a 3. I'm far from sold on McTominay in the back.......or in midfield to be honest.

Nah, you need the big cunt to win headers in the middle, with the other two sweeping up behind when they fuck up. Like Ash Taylor. It's not like the sweeper in a 3-4-3 really, it's almost like you need two to be positionally aware and one to be tackling. Gallagher or McKenna would be good at that (McKenna has played centre of the three for the dons a few times and he was good there, but he had to make way for Ash who couldn't be trusted get forward from a wider role). I'm with you on McTominay, but given him and Gallagher are the only two right sided players he's probably got a slight advantage. I think McTominay on his correct foot is marginally better than the others on their wrong foot.

It'll likely be Cooper just to keep us all guessing.

Tend to agree with Tup that the back 3 of McTominay Gallagher Considine probably deserve the nod for their performances in last round of fixtures but I cannot see McKenna and Tierney not playing. I suspect the back 3 will be McTominay, McKenna and Tierney. 

For those interested/desperate enough the U21 game v Croatia is on the Scotland YouTube channel with a 3pm kick off on Thursday. The U21 game against Greece is being shown by Premier Sports at 4pm on 17th. 

Elvis Pressley was on the radio last night saying Cooper should play. I assume on account of the fact that he plays in the big league. Never mind that Leeds have lost umpteen goals in the last few games. It’s this type of thought process that holds us back from progressing.

King Kenny is backing Considine to retain his place.