Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Managers in Scotland

Guest ally s

Ian McCall has left Partick Thistle.

Jackie McNamara takes over as caretaker.

At least they've kept an arsehole in charge.

Rumours going round that McCall has been earmarked to replace Pressley at Falkirk.

Guest ally s

He was at Red Stars training last night... he better not be earmarked to replace me! Don't think I could handle the indignity of that.

Why was he there BB, if you don't mind me asking?  I've been in his company a few times, can't say I'm his biggest fan.

Why was he there BB, if you don't mind me asking?  I've been in his company a few times, can't say I'm his biggest fan.

We were down at Vicky Park, there were other teams training there and he was just kind of doddering about. Think his lad may play for one of the teams.

It was the first time I've seen him outside the walls of a bookies in a long time.

• 6 months later...

http://www.perthshireadvertiser.co.uk/perthshire-sport/stjohnstone/2011/11/01/st-johnstone-close-to-signing-lomas-as-new-boss-73103-29694172/

St Johnstone close to signing Lomas as new boss

Nov 1 2011 by Gordon Bannerman, Perthshire Advertiser Tuesday

GEOFF Brown is set to unveil the successor to Derek McInnes as the club he has guided for a quarter of a century looks to the future.

An air of change is blowing through McDiarmid Park and a new generation of directors is having an influential say in the appointment of the next St Johnstone manager.

But PA Sport understands that left-field candidate Steve Lomas will be confirmed as the eagerly awaited successor to Derek McInnes.

And yesterday Brown flagged-up plans to make the new boss Perth-based, with a major role in the community envisaged for his 10th manager in a remarkable 25-year reign.

Lomas (37), a former Northern Ireland international whose coaching credentials have been limited to non-league football with Cambridgeshire club St Neots and a brief reserve manager’s stint at West Ham United this year, impressed at a Friday interview.

Lomas gained valuable experience with the Hammers but parted company with the London club when they slipped out of the Premiership in the summer and new manager San Allardyce drafted in his own backroom team.

And the Ulsterman, who was born in Germany, is set to be handed command of the Perth team to begin the build-up to a dug-out debut in Monday’s televised home clash with Aberdeen.

His assistant will be unveiled at the press conference confirming his appointment.

Brown, still smarting after previous interest in Sligo Rovers boss Paul Cook was conducted in the full media spotlight, remained cautious, saying: “We have no shortage of candidates and calls are still coming in. I have applicants coming out my ears but it is a matter of getting the right guy in.

“We are not quite ready yet but we are definitely keen to move things on. It is inevitably a slow process and a few people have to be taken into consideration.”

While youth coach Alec Cleland and skipper Jody Morris have been in charge of the last two games against Dundee United and St Mirren, Brown acknowledged: “Hopefully it can be done fairly quickly. We have two or three candidates right now that we could appoint immediately but it’s important it is the guy we believe will be the best for St Johnstone.”

Brown has seen his last two managers elevated to the Championship but neither Owen Coyle or McInnes put down roots in the area. That is about to change with Lomas coming on board.

He observed: “Results are the be all and end all of course and Del did exceptionally well for us. But one of the criteria now is getting in someone who will get out and about in the local area more than any previous manager. Youngsters in particular have to be able to relate to the football club so that will be an important aspect of the job.

“As a board we see a full-time set-up here and more has to be done to bring people into matches. The new manager will be out and about in the city and beyond.”

Vice-chairman Steve Brown, Stan Harris and recently appointed director Charlie Fraser are all having a say in the process as the chairman plots a gradual succession plan.

Brown said the timing of Bristol City’s swoop for McInnes could prove advantageous to St Johnstone in the longer term.

The Perth club lost managing director Stewart Duff to retirement earlier in the year and he had worked closely with McInnes, offering expertise and a guiding hand with contracts and dealings with the football authorities, even after bowing out.

Now, the successor to McInnes will come into a club with a new generation of directors eager to take Saints forward into a new era.

Meanwhile, caretaker Alec Cleland was keen to stake a claim to the position and he said: “The players remain focused but obviously the longer it goes on the more chance there is that it could start to affect them.

“Various people have been linked with the job but I got a chance to speak to the vice-chairman on Friday about my own ideas. So it is a case now of wait and see.”

Reflecting on the single goal defeat from St Mirren, Cleland admitted: “It was a missed opportunity for three points and there seemed to be a nervousness about us in the first-half. We didn’t create enough and it was a second game without scoring.”

Cleland had positive news for Perth fans, with defender Frazer Wright’s weekend dead leg unlikely to prevent him facing the Dons next week. Jamie Adams has been suffering from a hamstring injury but is edging back towards full training and long-term casualty Sam Parkin will join the U19s in training later this week.

Yeah i spoke to some hivvys on sunday night and one of them was well keen on Jeffries, surprised the fuck out of me!

I dare say, after some of their appointments and people linked with them (Jambo affiliations aside obviously), he'd be over qualified for the Hivs job! When I mentioned JC, my hivvy mate went mental :D