Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

First game of the season: Tims vs Dons

The season proper is finally here! Are we going to see all of our potential optimism go out the window? I don’t think we should really judge the new team too much against the champions, but I obviously want to see a plan and a system and obviously a positive result. There are signs that Goodwin has the team building some good understandings and can see a lot of potential. But it is hard to judge the team against the opposition they’ve faced so far. I’m expecting it to be a bit of turbulent first couple of months, although Celtic aside, it’s a decent draw to start with.

Edit: Coulson has signed, so does he go straight into the XI?

Does Ramirez start or is it straight into the thick of it for Miovski? Personally I see the latter, I still get the feeling that Ramirez might move on regardless. Can’t see him being happy being a bench player. Obviously CB and C/M pairing is crucial for this one, can’t let them sit in front of us.

Out

bed

bed

bed

3-0 Tims (no dons scorer)

17 minutes ago, manc_don said:

3-0 Tims (no dons scorer)

It all sounded so positive up to this line 🙂

1-1, and I would be more than happy with that at this stage in the season and given the Rumsfeldian known unknowns in our team.  McCrorie to score both goals.

2bh I think we should be treating this game as a free swing at them given all the context.  Heed first, etc. 

My guess at a line up would be the following.  

Roos 

Richardson, Stewart, Mcrorie, hancock

Polvara, ramadani

Kennedy, Besuijen, Hayes

Miovski

Last season, Jim Goodwin picked up maximum points in the League Cup group stage, then failed to win the any of the first six Premiership games - including a 6-0 shagging by Celtic - got knocked out of the league cup before August was done, and didn't pick up a first three points of the season until the end of September when *checks notes* Aberdeen visited Paisley.

Still, moving on..

If Scales could play on Sunday I would actually fancy us for a point as the defence has been fairly settled, Ramadani & McCrorie look good together in midfield, and Hayes & Kennedy have impressed and look hungry.

But if we're having to rearrange the defence and midfield, and maybe giving Coulson a debut, it's not ideal for a visit to Celtic Park.

I don't want to see McCrorie in defence. We need his energy in midfield.

Based on the current group of players available I'd go with (see image)

If Mackenzie is fit then I'd play him at LB. More experienced than Hancock, and while I know little of Coulson - going by reports he's more of a winger that's been moved to LB and I think we'll be doing a lot of defending on Sunday. I'm basically just picking what I know.

Bates I don't think is as bad as many make out, he's just not comfortable on the left. I'd move Stewart across and start Bates.

Hoping Celtic are rusty having not played competitively, and we can get in there and rattle them. 

DBAAC0E9-E897-4BFD-A226-BC27B53BE21F.jpeg

52 minutes ago, OxfordDon said:

It all sounded so positive up to this line 🙂

1-1, and I would be more than happy with that at this stage in the season and given the Rumsfeldian known unknowns in our team.  McCrorie to score both goals.

Agreed, I really don't know what to expect but with so many players and our defence still dodgy as fuck, i'm not convinced.  Flag day, hopefully won't put too much pressure on the boys, but I think someone else said in another thread, they won't really know about the fear of playing there so won't mean anything.

Normally would say as no injuries that we don’t change a winning team however as we have a loan player we are having to make enforced changes. Would agree with  Panda about moving Stewart to left of defence and play Bates but with Bates not having played in league cup group stages I am not sure that is what Goodwin will do. Richardson at right back against Jota gives me the fear. Big step up in quality of opposition from league cup group stages.

oot

Sunderland v Coventry

Finding pub in Newcastle that’s showing game

Train back to capital. 

4-1 McCrorie getting Dons consolation goal.

The only way Mcrorie plays in midfield is if we sign another cb before Sunday or hancock moves into the middle and coulsen goes to lb.  Potentially that's not the worst solution, keeps 3 of the back 4 the same even if there is a position swap and keeps the midfield intact. 

Edited by tlg1903

13 hours ago, Jute said:

Normally would say as no injuries that we don’t change a winning team however as we have a loan player we are having to make enforced changes. Would agree with  Panda about moving Stewart to left of defence and play Bates but with Bates not having played in league cup group stages I am not sure that is what Goodwin will do. Richardson at right back against Jota gives me the fear. Big step up in quality of opposition from league cup group stages.

oot

Sunderland v Coventry

Finding pub in Newcastle that’s showing game

Train back to capital. 

4-1 McCrorie getting Dons consolation goal.

Agreed, we can only hope his pace (which is considerable 2bf, especially from a standing start) can keep him close to him. 

18 hours ago, manc_don said:

Agreed, I really don't know what to expect but with so many players and our defence still dodgy as fuck, i'm not convinced.  Flag day, hopefully won't put too much pressure on the boys, but I think someone else said in another thread, they won't really know about the fear of playing there so won't mean anything.

From what I heard from a tim pal who's being watching their friendlies their back line is looking a bit off colour.  Just said they were passing it around too much and looking a bit static under pressure.  Our defence might be suspect but our attack is looking pretty healthy and if we can score first... Game on.  A lot of our players are going to be pretty unknown to celtic as well.  

I'm gonna be optimistic and say we will be OK, haven't paid much attention to the league cup, was at a bbq on Sunday watching the Raith game and still haven't seen the 3rd goal 🙂

Oot

London for Women's Euro Final at Wembley

Train to Stanstead for flight to Lake Como

1-1 one of the new guys 

27 minutes ago, Goldie03 said:

I'm gonna be optimistic and say we will be OK, haven't paid much attention to the league cup, was at a bbq on Sunday watching the Raith game and still haven't seen the 3rd goal 🙂

Oot

London for Women's Euro Final at Wembley

Train to Stanstead for flight to Lake Como

1-1 one of the new guys 

lake Como has always been on my list of places to go, enjoy!

2 hours ago, redordead said:

Will watch this from behind the couch. Midfield a real concern and the chances that Raith created will be goals at Celtic park.

Hoping I'm totally wrong but can see 4-0 to them.

I think our best bet is to just have a proper go at them. We certainly aren't lacking in attacking options so we may as well play to our strengths.  If we can score first it's game on 

Revised line-up since despite being back in training Mackenzie doesn't look like he'll make it, we don't appear to be signing a LCB this week and David Bates is probably in no fit state to play after flying to Poland and then not signing.

Roberts may get thrown in, but I think Goodwin will be reluctant to have two debutants with Coulson surely certain to start - unless he's thinking of Hayes at LB, but why sign a LB then do that?

Less confident that I would be with Barron, Scales and the midfield version of McCrorie all playing. 

1E8A7945-8DF9-404E-8852-F43C342A23D1.jpeg

Looks about right Panda. That's a fairly weak side, with a few big holes. A defence that looks ripe for errors, a midfield lacking mobility (although I do think that Polvara is getting better) and a striker that looks (or looked) well short of match fitness. To be honest, I think we should gamble and throw Bates in regardless. 

I previously wondered if he might try a 4-1-4-1, with Polvara sitting in front of the defence, but I'm not sure who we'd be able to shoehorn into the spare midfield slot.

It's mental (whilst also being glaringly obvious, since it happened for an entire season) how fucked our team is with only a single player missing.

1 hour ago, Elgindon said:

Whatever the result,as long as we give reason for optimism for the coming season.

Red TV PPV doesnt seem to be an option for 22/23.Bit of a shame....

Would it not have been Tim TV you'd have had to use because it's an away game? I have a red TV international subscription, and I get the ferry to Calais so I can watch it from outwith the UK. Although it isn't cheap.

Totally thought the game was at 15:00. Fucking awful time for a fitba match.

Not got much hope for this one. With a bit of luck they might not be up to speed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Would it not have been Tim TV you'd have had to use because it's an away game? I have a red TV international subscription, and I get the ferry to Calais so I can watch it from outwith the UK. Although it isn't cheap.

Totally thought the game was at 15:00. Fucking awful time for a fitba match.

Not got much hope for this one. With a bit of luck they might not be up to speed.

Kinda my thinking. Aren’t we their first competitive game of the season, whereas it’s game 5 for us (despite the lower level opponent.) maybe we’re a little more match sharp??

we haven’t ultimately been challenged either so I really don’t know how good we are. 

I’m never totally happy when we don’t win, but as long as we look like a team progressing the score isn’t everything today. We’re also probably two  bigger signings missing, a 10 and another defender/midfielder who may start, plus scales. As has been said, nothing really to lose so why not have a go? I just don’t want to see DMs overly negative tactics. Hopefully JC has brought a bigger balls mentality and we get stuck in. He’s said it, let’s see it.

• Like 1