Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer rebuild

3 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Recruiting a new head of recruitment. Seems like something that could have been done several months before our most important window in years.

Wasn’t just me thinking that then. Odd timing. Should have been sorted well in advance of this window ??‍♂️

1 hour ago, manc_don said:

Wasn’t just me thinking that then. Odd timing. Should have been sorted well in advance of this window ??‍♂️

I've been saying it for years now and I'm surprised that Cormack has taken so long to act. It's something that should be controlled by the club and not the manager, so something we could have dealt with whilst McInnes was here. We were continually making errors in the transfer market with a fairly low percentage of successful conversions, and those parameters should have been set the minute Cormack came in. It would have actually helped McInnes. At the very least when the decision was made to only go for loanees in January they should have acted then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

I've been saying it for years now and I'm surprised that Cormack has taken so long to act. It's something that should be controlled by the club and not the manager, so something we could have dealt with whilst McInnes was here. We were continually making errors in the transfer market with a fairly low percentage of successful conversions, and those parameters should have been set the minute Cormack came in. It would have actually helped McInnes. At the very least when the decision was made to only go for loanees in January they should have acted then.

I’d argue the Head of Recruitment is AT LEAST as important as the manager.

Both should’ve been appointed at the same time. He’ll arrive when the summer recruitment is all done, and it’s a massive turnaround in players too for a rookie manager who’s not very familiar with UK football or players in it 

Absolutely, the worry is that - like happened with McInnes - Glass is involved in the recruitment process, or gets a guy in that he knows rather than the club. It's completely unfair on Glass really, the club should have been ready for him when he joined. Cormack was keen to talk about succession planning on numerous occasions, but this shows a real lack of planning. The change to the director of football and head of recruitment could have happened months ago.

26 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Absolutely, the worry is that - like happened with McInnes - Glass is involved in the recruitment process, or gets a guy in that he knows rather than the club. It's completely unfair on Glass really, the club should have been ready for him when he joined. Cormack was keen to talk about succession planning on numerous occasions, but this shows a real lack of planning. The change to the director of football and head of recruitment could have happened months ago.

Aye, they just haven’t thought this through or planned it at all well.

You appoint from the top down.

Director of Football

Head of Recruitment

Manager/Coach 

We’ll be bringing in a Head of Recruitment when potentially after Glass makes a balls of the rebuilding of the squad.

Unless of course the “prawcess” already has a man ready to step in, and it’s a farcical charade, just as it was when we were supposed to believe Glass hadn’t been a shoe in for the managers job from the outset. 

33 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Christian Ramirez being linked in the Twatter realms. Don't know anything about him.

30 year old striker with a couple of US caps. Not sure if he would qualify for a work permit. On a big wage at Houston as well. 

49 minutes ago, Jute said:

EE article today confirms we have made an offer to take Atlanta reserves back up right back on loan. This is the guy who is behind Hernandez who couldn’t get a game for us. 

So we get rid of Hernandez, who isn’t deemed good enough, who becomes Atlanta’s 2nd choice right back, and in return we look to loan Atlanta’s 3rd, probably 4th choice, right back?

That’s “prawgress”. 

• Sad 1

Thing is, with the volume of departures, we'll absolutely need squad fillers and even if we don't need them, the nature of recruitment means we'll definitely end up with them. There's zero chance that we're making 10 successful signings this summer. Given the level of player remaining in contract (Kennedy, McLennan, McGeouch) we have to be getting 4-5 good signings in. The margins are very fine.

2 minutes ago, sancho_panza said:

I wonder if there's a bit of insecurity in this from Glass. He's an inexperienced manager and he might worry about losing authority in the dressing room. This guy is presumably on good terms with him and will back him up in an argument if nothing else.

That doesn't really work if the boy is pish at fitba though. I think your reasoning is why we've got Brown coming in, and I'd be seriously concerned that move backfires if - as expected - Brown continues his downward trend. Maybe the guy is a decent footballer though. He'll likely have seen both him and Hernandez in action to pass judgement. We'll see how good that judgement is.

I actually think Brown will overshadow Glass. Brown isn't here to help Glass out, he's here ultimately to try and kick start a management career. Most people in that dressing room have experience of playing against Brown or with him (e.g. McGinn and Hayes) while he's been one of the most high profile players in Scotland.

Glass in comparison is a relative unknown to most of them, with a less successful playing career a longer time ago and no real managerial experience. The minute him and Brown disagree about something I think Glass will be in an extremely weak position and he'll probably need all the allies he can get.

2 hours ago, sancho_panza said:

I actually think Brown will overshadow Glass. Brown isn't here to help Glass out, he's here ultimately to try and kick start a management career. Most people in that dressing room have experience of playing against Brown or with him (e.g. McGinn and Hayes) while he's been one of the most high profile players in Scotland.

Glass in comparison is a relative unknown to most of them, with a less successful playing career a longer time ago and no real managerial experience. The minute him and Brown disagree about something I think Glass will be in an extremely weak position and he'll probably need all the allies he can get.

FWIW, I think we’ll be asking for a new manager for season 22/23.

I really hope I’m wrong.

Looks like there is more to Ramirez rumour than first thought. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/christian-ramirez-tracked-aberdeen-stephen-24201341.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Not sure how he would qualify for a work permit or how we are affording his wages which according to list published by MLS sit at USD 775,000 basic.