Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer rebuild

4 minutes ago, RedStarTorphins said:

Injury prone - missed 60% of the last two seasons, so he’s brittle.

We already have Devlin, a complete waste of space.

We need a good & reliable partner for Gallagher. 

Robertson is neither. 

Have you watched him play since he left us or are you just guessing? Guessing is fine, although harsh, I just know so little about him and am keen to know more.

58 minutes ago, LA-Don said:

Have you watched him play since he left us or are you just guessing? Guessing is fine, although harsh, I just know so little about him and am keen to know more.

No.

My main gripe is he’s another injury prone defender.

On ability he’s never got near a Scotland squad or even been mentioned, so you’d assume he’s not as “good” as Considine. 

Well done steven Gunn as director of football.

All the best Russ Richardson but I'm not sure you did a good enough job.

Ok can anyone explain what the rules are with getting players abroad as a result of Brexit?

This was referenced in Watford's paltry offer for Ferguson and Scottish clubs now having more bargaining power.

I see it reported this morning that Watford allegedly preparing a bid of £4m for Doig @ Hibs. Good luck to Hibs if they can get that level of offer for him, but in my eyes it merely serves to reinforce my view to the ram your £1.2m for Ferguson up your grossly inflated EPL hoop

1 hour ago, HaarDon said:

Well done steven Gunn as director of football.

All the best Russ Richardson but I'm not sure you did a good enough job.

Ok can anyone explain what the rules are with getting players abroad as a result of Brexit?

This was referenced in Watford's paltry offer for Ferguson and Scottish clubs now having more bargaining power.

Aye, hopefully this is the start of something a bit more productive in the transfer market. 

In terms of brexit, it just means that u18s can't be transferred and a maximum of three u21s. Also the usual transfer obstruction applicable to further afield foreigners. Not sure how any of it applies to Ferguson, but certainly it should help future transfers go for more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

Apparently when Ferguson signed his last contract,it was with a gentlemans agreemant that should an EPL side make an offer,the club "would not stand in his way".

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/19316921.lewis-fergusons-agent-slams-aberdeen-amid-watford-offers/

Technicality

English Championship season doesnt finish til playoff final so watford are still a championship team

5 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

Apparently when Ferguson signed his last contract,it was with a gentlemans agreemant that should an EPL side make an offer,the club "would not stand in his way".

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/19316921.lewis-fergusons-agent-slams-aberdeen-amid-watford-offers/

But obviously that has to be an acceptable offer. You can guess that Fergusons agent has been letting clubs know that, so now you have Watford coming in with paltry offers of 1.2m. I don't even think its good for Ferguson if that's all they value him at. They clearly don't see him as a starter if they are only willing to pay that little. He will just be seen as a cheap bench warmer at that price. 

56 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

Is "gentlemans agreement" the new trend in agent blaggery?  Makes you wonder why they bother with the burdensome writing down stuff in a contract at all, if it just gets in the way of all this new-found chivalry.

1 hour ago, HaarDon said:

Some of these paltry offers are chicken feed!!

Sorry☹

Cracking bantam....er banter ?

Re Gentlemans agreement - if such a thing occured,its up to McMurdo(or the club) to explain what the terms were before greeting to the press.

Why they couldnt insert a written something into the contract at the time??....

3 hours ago, Elgindon said:

“I think they are holding out for a massive amount for him and I don’t think it’s going to happen.”

Ferguson's agent obviously has a high opinion of his ability.

That, along with;

"Aberdeen are standing in the way of a “gentleman’s agreement” that the player has with the club, that should an opportunity for Ferguson to move to the Premier League arise, they would allow him to leave."

Why didn't McMurdo negotiate that into the contract then?

And

“I have said to them that I’ve been in this business a long time and I have never known a buying club to ask a selling club for a price only for the selling club to say: ‘No, make us an offer’."

Why didn't McMurdo also negotiate minimum release fee also? I'd question how he's been in the business a long time, with that level of contractual naivety and negotiate nous...

If I was Ferguson I'd be looking for a new agent. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Elgindon said:

Cracking bantam....er banter ?

Re Gentlemans agreement - if such a thing occured,its up to McMurdo(or the club) to explain what the terms were before greeting to the press.

Why they couldnt insert a written something into the contract at the time??....

Exactly. What sort of shite journalist doesn't ask these basic fucking questions? What sort of shite agent advises his client to rely on gentlemen's over written agreement? He's basically advertising that he's crap at his job. 

Edit: basically what baggy89 says, didn't spot it earlier

Edited by RicoS321

“I have said to them that I’ve been in this business a long time and I have never known a buying club to ask a selling club for a price only for the selling club to say: ‘No, make us an offer’."

negotiations 101 surely

"How much do you want?"

"how much have you got?"

On 20/05/2021 at 00:53, scotfree said:

None on this site would have a soft spot for the Huns, but mate... Give it a fucking rest about how much you hate the Huns and everything Hun related in nearly every post you write. I'm starting to think you many hate the Huns more than you love the Dons. 

Treat yourself to ‘How the huns won the league’ on BBC Scotland tonight, the national broadcaster’s Friday night treat to the nation.

Exactly, none of us would but like it or lump it, win it they did, so not really sure why a broadcaster wouldn't put out a programme like that.

Exercise your right Tup and turn it off.

Would be pretty pissed if we won it and they didn't  broadcast one about us to be honest.

• Like 1

On 23/05/2021 at 05:52, BigAl said:

Exactly, none of us would but like it or lump it, win it they did, so not really sure why a broadcaster wouldn't put out a programme like that.

Exercise your right Tup and turn it off.

Would be pretty pissed if we won it and they didn't  broadcast one about us to be honest.

Not only that at the start of the season no-one gave them anything more than a slim chance such was celtic perceived dominance.   I think the empty stadiums played a big part, wasn't that long ago tavernier got a booting for saying they struggled with pressure in the programme notes.  Celtic on the other hand seemed to thrive on it and perhaps without it they just couldn't get into top gear as easily.  Obviously this is just conjecture but if so there's an irony that the fans who wouldn't walk away (though they fucking did, remember seeing mordor with under 20k crowds plenty of times) were such a hindrance. 

If the BBC had done a 'Worst Season in Scottish Football History' special, I'd have been glued to the box.

Who wants to watch a special on those filth winning anything. You can guarantee St Johnstone don't get anything similar.

Not much movement on the signing front, would be nice to get a couple in and Ferguson out early if he's going in this window. 

Not been massively whelmed by the suggestions so far, they show that we're clearly hunting in the same woods as McInnes, which is to be expected. Guys like Irvine fae Hibs wouldn't really be of the standard required to take us forward. A shrewd January signing by Hibs because he's reliable and you know what you're getting, but I don't really think we should be in the market for another squad midfielder, especially if Ferguson goes.

Glass mentioning a South American link which should be fine. Our very successful foray into that market so far with a world class right back just waiting to show everyone what he can do bodes well.

5 minutes ago, sancho_panza said:

There was a Uruguayan guy called Carlos Nunez who played in a preseason friendly against Brechin about ten years ago. Surprised nobody remembers him.

Well remembered. Under Brown it was. A few trialists in a victory I believe, which is hard to believe against a quality side such as brechin. Wonder what happened to them?