Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer rebuild

22 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Meh. McKenna did exactly the same but still continued to play well for us. He'll be doing what his agent tells him is best to do. He's got a long time left on his deal so we hold the cards and can hold out for a good offer. Run his course here so a good offer will hopefully be forthcoming.

Why would you want to hold on to an obvious hun who has by his own admission downed tools?

A free transfer to Sevco is no doubt the ideal move he’s after. 

I think we all know he was likely to leave this summer so it’s not much of a surprise. Just annoyed he’s handed in a request as it reduces our bargaining power with other clubs. He hasn’t tried for months. I had hoped he’d stay another season and learn a few things from brown. 

• Like 1

Would have preferred to see how present players respond to the new regime before departures.Saying that,Ive never bought into Ferguson as a player.Like his attitude,but cant see why we cant do better.A few million could be a good bit of business if we can bolster the squad further

• Like 1

2 hours ago, manc_don said:

I think we all know he was likely to leave this summer so it’s not much of a surprise. Just annoyed he’s handed in a request as it reduces our bargaining power with other clubs. He hasn’t tried for months. I had hoped he’d stay another season and learn a few things from brown. 

I think it was only due to covid that he was here this last season. Unsure how the request reduces our bargaining power, due to the length of contract. Seems a pretty naive power play given the window isn’t even open yet. Only reason I can come up with, he is trying to push us into accepting whatever shrapnel the huns can find from down the back seats of Fatty McCoists 1987 XR3i. Before further decent offers come, in August from EPL clubs. 

Edited by baggy89

4 minutes ago, baggy89 said:

I think it was only due to covid that he was here this last season. Unsure how the request reduces our bargaining power, due to the length of contract. Seems a pretty naive power play given the window isn’t even open yet. Only reason I can come up with, he is trying to push us into accepting whatever shrapnel the huns can find from down the back seats of Fatty McCoists 1987 XR3i. Before further decent offers come, in August from EPL clubs. 

I'm guessing both sides are playing it a bit here. The dons will want his desire to leave public as early as possible and the player wants to leave as early as possible. I've no problem with it, much better than handing in a request the night before a European game.

• Like 1

I've always thought that his big name outstripped his ability. Solid midfielder but nothing more. Lacks pace, winning mentality and presence. The last six months have shown that he doesn't have the minerals to turn games around when it matters. In fact himself and mcrorie have really disappointed and disappear when things get tough. He's more interested in winning fouls and shouting at refs than driving the team back into the match.

Let's hope the Glasgow media big him up and we get some decent cash. In my opinion, this season must hurt his value.

That said McArthur had survived years in the EPL and he's probably as close to Ferguson as any player I can think of.

5 hours ago, tup1 said:

I told you Ferguson was a rotten apple.

So is McRorie. Pair of hun cunts can GTF as far as I’m concerned.

None on this site would have a soft spot for the Huns, but mate... Give it a fucking rest about how much you hate the Huns and everything Hun related in nearly every post you write. I'm starting to think you many hate the Huns more than you love the Dons. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, tup1 said:
12 hours ago, tup1 said:

Why would you want to hold on to an obvious hun who has by his own admission downed tools?

A free transfer to Sevco is no doubt the ideal move he’s after. 

I told you Ferguson was a rotten apple.

So is McRorie. Pair of hun cunts can GTF as far as I’m concerned.

Great business model.

Let's just ditch a player who whether youl ike it or not  is our most valuable asset.

Instead of focusing upon Ferguson perhaps your anger should be directed against his agent, none other than fucking Bill McMurdo.

6 hours ago, scotfree said:

None on this site would have a soft spot for the Huns, but mate... Give it a fucking rest about how much you hate the Huns and everything Hun related in nearly every post you write. I'm starting to think you many hate the Huns more than you love the Dons. 

Starting ? You're way behind some of us mate ?

• Haha 1

I've always thought Ferguson is a horrible cunt and I don't wish him well when he goes but I genuinely think he'll end up playing in the Premier League eventually. He's 21 so you expect patchy form. Most centre mids have done nothing at his age - Kenny McLean was 23 when he joined us, John McGinn had only just joined Hibs at 21, etc. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sancho_panza said:

I've always thought Ferguson is a horrible cunt and I don't wish him well when he goes but I genuinely think he'll end up playing in the Premier League eventually. He's 21 so you expect patchy form. Most centre mids have done nothing at his age - Kenny McLean was 23 when he joined us, John McGinn had only just joined Hibs at 21, etc. 

There's definitely a player there. The question will be whether he challenges himself and goes to the english premier league or looks for the safe option and tries to join the huns.

Load of Aberdeen fans on twitter tweeting he's not good enough for Watford ??? suggesting they'll loan him out to the championship for a season or two to develop. I disagree, we thought he'd be a project player when he joined and he's been a regular since day one.

huns commenting on the AFC statement that he's not worth £2 million and wouldn't get into their midfield are twice as bad. I know they're not the brightest bunch but no-one offered £2 million for the rat at any point and the only offer he had, as a free agent hitting his peak years, better than ours, was the huns (who'd finished behind us and would the following season too). How much do they think that mediocre pussy is worth, in their FM2022 and buckfast addled brains, now?

Ferguson is 21 been a first team regular for 3 seasons, his career stats are something like a goal every 6 games an assist every 5 and a pass completion rate of around 75-80%. Couldn't find anything for key passes, tackles or key tackles but I'd imagine they are as good if not better than a lot of older more experienced and "better" players. I think the doesn't drive his team on is a bit unfair and probably has more to to with the lack of good prime players in the squad currently. I'm struggling to think of may top midfielders who were regularly (if ever) running games and driving their team to victory at 21.

Rico's probably right, he usually is, that we are putting it out there as much a Ferguson and his agent as we want as much interest as possible to get the best fee we can. Could see the likes of Brentford maybe waiting to see if the reach the EPL through the play-offs and others waiting to finish the season and assess their squads before making offers.  Although was it Jamie Redknapp? last night commenting on Kane's transfer request, said; when players do this it usually means they've got something agreed in principle with another club. Made me think hun deal agreed, thought they could get him on the cheap, and are panicking now were rejecting deals for not meeting our valuation. Especially the agents bit about us not giving a figure for Watford to match. That stinks of running back to the huns with "They'll take £3.5 million" or whatever. 

• Like 1

He has a lot of promise but clearly is not the finished article yet however taking him out of our team would certainly be weakening it whether you like him or not.  As some have said, he has played more than a lot of players of 21 which says a lot about how highly he is rated.  Have to say, I would doubt if the pull of the old firm is as big as it once was for a really promising player.  For someone like Scott Wright who would never make it at EPL level it is about as high a level as he can reach.  For Ferguson though, he only needs to look at someone like McGinn or Tierney to see what can happen if you really screw the nut.  Why move to Glasgow and keep playing Motherwell on a Tuesday night when you could potentially be lining up against Pogba or Kante?  If I was his agent I would be telling him to hold off for a move to england.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

He has a lot of promise but clearly is not the finished article yet however taking him out of our team would certainly be weakening it whether you like him or not.  As some have said, he has played more than a lot of players of 21 which says a lot about how highly he is rated.  Have to say, I would doubt if the pull of the old firm is as big as it once was for a really promising player.  For someone like Scott Wright who would never make it at EPL level it is about as high a level as he can reach.  For Ferguson though, he only needs to look at someone like McGinn or Tierney to see what can happen if you really screw the nut.  Why move to Glasgow and keep playing Motherwell on a Tuesday night when you could potentially be lining up against Pogba or Kante?  If I was his agent I would be telling him to hold off for a move to england.

Not sure with McMurdo as his agent such sensible thinking will come into play.

The hun link will always be there because of his family connections, but could be a case he does want a move to the Premier league. If we said to Watford we want 3.5m + 20% sell on to mind there is no reason why we would accept the same from the huns. We can reject offers based on them being rivals and then there is the fact that a sell on fee from the huns is likely to be substantially less then a PL club.

2 hours ago, BigAl said:

Not sure with McMurdo as his agent such sensible thinking will come into play.

Correct, but his old man knows the score. He's a Hun, of course, but not a Hun Hun. He was delighted when his loon was motm and scored the winning goal at Hampden to take the dons to the cup final ahead of the scum, as was Lewis himself and McInnes despite the fact that they're rabid Huns it seems. 

The comparison with Jack is a good one. A very good player, and exceptionally mature, at a young age. Didn't seem to have the belief in his own ability to progress out-with Scotland despite being clearly good enough, wanting to be the big fish in the smaller pond as is his right (and he's still a very good player). I think Ferguson is a little bit more like McKenna in that regard and his old man* will certainly instill that in him too. I think he has the potential to be an absolutely fantastic player, there's so much visible space for improvement there. 

*Having heard his uncle speak a few times over the last few years, I've actually been impressed with his attitude and grounding (very self deprecating, which was a surprise) and I get the impression he'd advise his nephew to be the best he can be too, and that doesn't require a move to the Hun at this stage in his career. 

Edited by RicoS321

It seems that the power of players agents is alive and well.

Ferguson's agent is well known for using this tactic to start a bidding war.

It may be bad advice from McMurdo to to Ferguson, but the horse has bolted now.

We should fully expect further increased bids from other clubs as a result.

With 3 years left on the boys contract, the ball and power is in the Don's court until the smell of cold hard cash is impossible to resist.

He'll be gone this summer.

Disagree,but lets go along with it if it helps. Weve knocked back a few bids under £2m to date,hope some other club(s) joins in

Clark Robertson looks a done deal.Dont have a problem as long as he's not first choice,or weve got decent back up.Bulked up since he was last here

Edited by Elgindon

11 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

Disagree,but lets go along with it if it helps. Weve knocked back a few bids under £2m to date,hope some other club(s) joins in

Clark Robertson looks a done deal.Dont have a problem as long as he's not first choice,or weve got decent back up.Bulked up since he was last here

If Robertson signs, the central defenders will be;

Gallagher - hopefully good signing 

Considine - past it & needs replaced 

Robertson - no better than Considine 

Devlin - injury prone & pish

Not a great look 

40 minutes ago, RedStarTorphins said:

If Robertson signs, the central defenders will be;

Gallagher - hopefully good signing 

Considine - past it & needs replaced 

Robertson - no better than Considine 

Devlin - injury prone & pish

Not a great look 

Can you explain your assessment of Robertson? What’s his strength/weaknesses? Is he fast? Smart? Many are quick to judge, have you watched him much since he left us?

Just now, LA-Don said:

Can you explain your assessment of Robertson? What’s his strength/weaknesses? Is he fast? Smart? Many are quick to judge, have you watched him much since he left us?

Injury prone - missed 60% of the last two seasons, so he’s brittle.

We already have Devlin, a complete waste of space.

We need a good & reliable partner for Gallagher. 

Robertson is neither.