Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Season 2019/2020 Rebuilding

That's a bit of a stupidly general rule. The fact that Taylor returning isn't the issue, it's the fact that we know he's not that good.

Considine is miles better than Ash with the ball at his feet. Devlin too, for that matter. That's the issue. With one right sided defender who is poor on the ball (Devlin), we needed a player who is far more comfortable on the ball than Taylor (Hoban-type). Devlin and Taylor are both uncomfortable on their strong foot, so to consider a partnership of the two of them with one playing on their wrong side is seriously playing to our weaknesses. I can only assume McKenna is staying and so Considine and him will cover left, and Taylor and Devlin right with little need for cross over.

What's the stupid rule? I didn't make a rule. I just said I'm not a fan of players returning to the club. Move on and move forward in my opinion. I also stated "while different." I'm not saying he's a photocopy of Considine. I'm just saying that he's limited and prone to mistakes, much like Andy. Again, I'd like us to move forward and look for better.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the look of Halkett, he's also relatively young and caused problems for opposition defenders at set pieces, whilst nodding in a few himself. He also looked mobile for a big unit, I'd have preferred us to pursue that type of signing as well, but maybe Hearts beat us to it, or maybe we were after him as well and he chose Hearts, who knows.

We were definitely interested in him but Halkett's wife wanted to stay in the Central belt hence his decision to go to Hearts. Reason he is so mobile is that in modern day terms he is a midget in central defensive terms....6ft dead, In no way a big unit...

We were definitely interested in him but Halkett's wife wanted to stay in the Central belt hence his decision to go to Hearts. Reason he is so mobile is that in modern day terms he is a midget in central defensive terms....6ft dead, In no way a big unit...

I mean he's a unit in terms of his stature, he's fairly well built, and 6ft is still tall enough for a CB, who has decent pace as well. He'll do well at Hearts, hopefully big Ash towers above him in both boxes when we we play them  :thumbsup:

Indeed, Curtis Main now confirmed as well, 2 year contract.

That's 3 in the last 2 days, hopefully this is a continuation for the next few days, I'm not entirely sure where else we need to strengthen, other than LB, CDM & CAM. So if we added 3 more players, would everyone be pleased that we're ready to head into the new season?

Cant say im excited about this signing but i presume hes came in as an inexpensive back up. If thats the case he might not be a bad squad player.

Signing an awful lot of squad players then.

We are going to be brutal to watch next season.

Cant say im excited about this signing but i presume hes came in as an inexpensive back up. If thats the case he might not be a bad squad player.

Not saying I'm excited either but i see him and Cosgrove battling it out for the starting number 9. Don't see Main as a set back up. Could also see Cosgrove sold and Main is the starter.

Not saying I'm excited either but i see him and Cosgrove battling it out for the starting number 9. Don't see Main as a set back up. Could also see Cosgrove sold and Main is the starter.

Precisely. We're going to score zero goals next season. I think I'll be glad I can't watch most of the games.

Precisely. We're going to score zero goals next season. I think I'll be glad I can't watch most of the games.

I don't see it that way. I think we struggle to create chances so the next signings are the crucial ones. Rooney scored a bunch due to the service of Hayes, McGinn, Christie, McLean etc, it's the much needed flair and creative player signings that will determine whether Main is a success in my opinion. If it's a midfield of Dom Ball, Gleeson, Dean Campbell, a past it McGinn, a hot/cold GMS, then I'd agree with you.

I don't see it that way. I think we struggle to create chances so the next signings are the crucial ones. Rooney scored a bunch due to the service of Hayes, McGinn, Christie, McLean etc, it's the much needed flair and creative player signings that will determine whether Main is a success in my opinion. If it's a midfield of Dom Ball, Gleeson, Dean Campbell, a past it McGinn, a hot/cold GMS, then I'd agree with you.

Sorry, I meant if this was based upon the current signing calibre. I can't see McInnes having the imagination to sign whats required.

Signing an awful lot of squad players then.

We are going to be brutal to watch next season.

I don't think Main is that bad, he's probably an upgrade on May. But we now have to actually get rid of May. Otherwise you're right, we've got a shite load of squad players. I appreciate that players come available at different times and that you have to get fall-back options, but I assumed we'd be signing our main (excuse the pun) targets first and that if they turned out to be shite we could then go for the guys we've signed.

Which is precisely the scenario I'm envisaging...possibly even hoping....will happen. Cosgrove's stock I really don't think will get any higher. £1million offer.....take the money and run. And do the same again, maybe not quite as cheap as £20k...maybe a young loon with potential for £200k or so and take the punt that he will make us five times that eventually.

Can’t honestly say I’ve seen a lot of Curtis Main so watched some YouTube highlights. Most of his goals, including penalties, are very Adam Rooney-like, penalty box poacher right place right time type of thing. If he has Rooney’s success I’ll take that, but the key is the service, something I mentioned earlier, which was piss poor for much of the last year or two.

Next few signings are the key.

£1m for cosgrove thats as fucking deluded as the £10m for morelos

as

And your valuation of him would be Einstein?

He's just outscored any player from the league champions (admittedly I don't think that will happen again). He's contracted for another 4 years. Therefore we hold all the cards. A club comes calling ( and there's rumoured interest from a Championship club) we can ask what we want...

Tell me exactly why £1millon is unreasonable?

Agreed TC, it always boggles my mind how little football fans understand how transfers actually work. Only time a player will go for less than the value of the remainder of the contract is if the club is wanting them off the books. 

Tell me exactly why £1millon is unreasonable?

I don't think he's worth it. He's in that middle region that makes him not really suited to the English game. Not as strong as a Stockley type, not as mobile as a Magennis type and not good enough to play high end championship where his attributes (at a better level) might suit. He's not as good as likes of Steven Fletcher for example. That said, he has the potential to get there and could probably get to the level of a Steven McLean or Lee Miller in their prime. Despite the fact that he scored 20 goals this season, I don't really see him as a finisher. He doesn't ping the ball, he uses more of a swinging leg approach, which makes him that little bit slow to be a poacher. Transfermarkt has him valued at £225K, I would think that somewhere in the region of £500K with some well structured add-ons would be appropriate given length of contract. He could end up earning us close to £1M but I don't see any clubs risking that sort of straight outlay on him at the moment. He's a hard worker, and with a bit more intelligence and maturity he could easily increase his value again this season.