Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Season 2019/2020 Rebuilding

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor won't have left us to join Northampton on even the same pay he got from us. He will now be demanding a pay that if he joins will put him in our top 5 earners. And as Ive said before....he wont be wanting to join up as a squad player.

Devlin would have been the highest paid player at Accies as captain. But they pay peanuts....I doubt he is getting much more than somewhere around our average pay which would leave him as one of the worst paid first teamers. And rightly so having had his knee reconstructed twice. He was a gamble when we signed him

Would imagine when they got relegated he would have had to take a pay cut. Depends on the terms of his contract I suppose.

Either way, it's not as if Aberdeen will be in a bidding war for him.

I see that Cammy Kerr is out of contract at Dundee, not for one second advocating we go all out to sign him, but given Logan has agreed an extension and will likely remain our 1st choice RB, and Ball is a total clusterfuck at RB, could he not be brought in to keep Logan on his toes and even provide decent enough cover for Injury/Suspension? Doubt he'd cost too much wage wise and he's still relatively young.

Also, Josh McEachran & Craig Bryson are also free, Bryson would maybe command too big a wage, but he's 32 now, might be content with 1st team football at a club like ourselves, and he's a very good footballer who would bring something to our team as well as aid the likes of Lewis Ferguson & Dean Campbell. Josh McEachran is left footed and also has decent enough pedigree, although he's fairly moved around in England, maybe a break away from down there and a fresh start up here could kick him on a bit? Could finally replace Kenny McLean?

These are obviously just suggestions and what I'd like to see, particularly someone like Bryson, I think that would be an excellent addition and we could still get a few seasons out of him. 

Kerr isn't the worst shout by any manner of means but I'd still rather we went all out for Cadden who would give us more options.

But before that.....i want a left back!!!!

We went for Cadden last year and he turned us down. His agent was all for the move.

Apparently wanted to stay in the central belt.

Guess a problem being that we haven't actually played football in nearly 2 years.  Maybe that's putting players off?  It's widely known among other fans that we are a horrific watch.  I'm sure this doesn't get ignored by some players in Scotland.

I'm with CtS, this is one of the most depressing threads i've read in a long time. If this is the calibre of player we're after, we'll do well to finish in the top 6 next season. Moving Gash on was a step in the right direction.  Get some fucking imagination McIness. This is shite.

We went for Cadden last year and he turned us down. His agent was all for the move.

Apparently wanted to stay in the central belt.

He hasn't signed the contract offered by Motherwell and (this is unconfirmed) supposedly turned an offer from Hearts down. Not really sure what credible options that would leave him there.

I hope that the names that are mentioned so far are just squad fillers. I dont really see the point in Main when we have Stevie May. And Ash Taylor isnt a step up but is a half decent back-up. Mcinnes does sometimes pull something out of nowhere. Im hoping hes got a couple of decent signings lined up that we are not expecting.

I hope that the names that are mentioned so far are just squad fillers. I dont really see the point in Main when we have Stevie May. And Ash Taylor isnt a step up but is a half decent back-up. Mcinnes does sometimes pull something out of nowhere. Im hoping hes got a couple of decent signings lined up that we are not expecting.

We can't really afford squad signings before we make our actual signings though (unless it is on a one-in-one-out basis - May for Main). Squad signings should only happen after the proper signings or as a renewal of existing players' contracts.

Take Taylor, there are only 3 options:

1. He's being signed as our first 11 right-sided defender, with existing players (Devlin) becoming a squad player

2. He's being signed as squad filler on top of existing players

3. He's being signed as squad filler to replace existing players and also supplemented by further signings in that position - thus we are building a big squad.

If it's the first, then we're probably all in agreement that he isn't really an improvement on Devlin (when fit)?

If it's the second then do we think that the Devlin/Taylor standard is good enough (given Devlin's form on return)?

If it's the third option then shouldn't we be looking at a better standard with less filler? Or, shouldn't our filler be guys like Ball who could potentially cover a few positions (i.e. not Taylor)? Or do we need that level (pay level) of filler in defence specifically rather than better players elsewhere?

To me, Taylor only fits in a scenario where we've attempted to sign a really good centre half and realised he's not that good so we just need a guy who we're certain is decentish as a safe signing because we know a lot about him already. Or, if we've got an agreement with a risky centre half signing like Hobban, who we know is good but might spend a chunk of the season injured. What am I missing?

We can't really afford squad signings before we make our actual signings though (unless it is on a one-in-one-out basis - May for Main). Squad signings should only happen after the proper signings or as a renewal of existing players' contracts.

Take Taylor, there are only 3 options:

1. He's being signed as our first 11 right-sided defender, with existing players (Devlin) becoming a squad player

2. He's being signed as squad filler on top of existing players

3. He's being signed as squad filler to replace existing players and also supplemented by further signings in that position - thus we are building a big squad.

If it's the first, then we're probably all in agreement that he isn't really an improvement on Devlin (when fit)?

If it's the second then do we think that the Devlin/Taylor standard is good enough (given Devlin's form on return)?

If it's the third option then shouldn't we be looking at a better standard with less filler? Or, shouldn't our filler be guys like Ball who could potentially cover a few positions (i.e. not Taylor)? Or do we need that level (pay level) of filler in defence specifically rather than better players elsewhere?

To me, Taylor only fits in a scenario where we've attempted to sign a really good centre half and realised he's not that good so we just need a guy who we're certain is decentish as a safe signing because we know a lot about him already. Or, if we've got an agreement with a risky centre half signing like Hobban, who we know is good but might spend a chunk of the season injured. What am I missing?

Would say that this is the most feasible suggestion, Considine will likely be our 1st choice CB ( Left Sided ) alongside either Taylor or Devlin, and Hoban will be offered the chance to join us and get back to match fitness, but that's ages away, so perhaps McInnes will think that a CB pairing of Devlin/Considine or Taylor/Considine will be enough to see us through until Hoban is fully fit. FWIW I think Considine will be made Captain as well and I'd go as far to say that this will be his last season for us in where he'll feature a lot, I think after this season, he'll find himself further down the pecking order and will only really feature if covering injury/suspension.

That is all assuming McKenna leaves in this window of course.

Taylor says to me McKenna is defo off and maine suggests to me that cossy might be off too.

But if McKenna were off it would be a left sided CH we required

At this time hes still our player. I think (and i keep coming back to this)....Devlin's inability to usurp Considine from the starting 11 since his supposed return to fitness in February, allied to his inability to play a full 90 minutes when included through injury/suspension is screaming out there is far more to Devlin's fitness issues than the club are letting on.

Gash is limited. He knows it...we know it. But he will not, at his age, be signing for anyone (at our level) to play second fiddle to anyone. Nor do I believe he will come particulary cheaply either. He does supposedly have other options and I'm really hoping he chooses one of them but I fear the worst.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

We started last season with Considine, McKenna, Devlin, Hoban and Lowe for players capable of playing the left back and centre back positions.

Hoban and Lowe have gone and we know that DM has gone with Considine primarily at left back in the past.  If Devlin is going to struggle to play a whole season and McKenna may be sold then if we sign Taylor and Shaughnessy I think both would pretty sure of playing a lot of games whether they are first choice or not.

I'd expect we will sign a left back of sorts whether it is a first choice or cover for Andy C as I would expect him to revert to left back next season as it seems to be where the manager sees him unless there are injuries to the centre backs (not saying I necessarily agree with DMs view there  :().

I'd expect we will sign a left back of sorts whether it is a first choice or cover for Andy C as I would expect him to revert to left back next season as it seems to be where the manager sees him unless there are injuries to the centre backs (not saying I necessarily agree with DMs view there  :().

I don't think DM sees Considine as a left back anymore. Lowe was deliberately signed to strengthen that area leaving Considine as backup at the start of the season as it was obvious it was an issue. He clearly recognised it was an issue, and when Lowe was rumoured not to be returning in January he was touted as being in the market for immediate replacements.

McInnes has said he hopes to bring in "eight or nine players".

You would imagine that's at least one striker, presuming May is staying to see out his contract. That's possibly Main. Anderson might see more game time next season.

Replacements for GMS, Stewart, Shinnie.

There's still another five players there, plus he's already been on record as saying the likes of Campbell, Ethan Ross, McLennan will all see more game time. Scott Wright seemed to do okay at Dundee. Frank Ross is probably a candidate to go out on loan considering he missed so much of the season through injury.

So wouldn't be trying to second guess the defence just yet, as imagine a few more than Taylor will be coming in - even if that includes loan signings. Even if they sign Hoban, chances are he won't be fit for Europa League/League Cup, so we'd still need cover.

Not sure why anyone is even mentioning Hoban right now. Cruciate is 9 months out minimum before even starting light training. Injury in Feb = not ready to start training till November at the very earliest, Will then need to build up muscle wastage....so looking at after the January break at the absolute earliest of him being able to play....and could be longer if indeed ever. No way will be signing him until he can prove that hes fit to continue....even a 1 year deal as it stands could end up being money down the toilet