Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer Transfer chat

Yes.

O'Connor had some above average games for us and some fairly horrendous ones. What we saw in those good games was a player playing at his peak in my opinion. Given his lack of pace and his massive one-footed-ness - areas that are unlikely to significantly improve with age - there were few areas in which he could develop. His reading of the game was okay, but not to a standard of even Reynolds or McKenna. His main attribute was his strength and aggression and that should suit down south. I think we've seen what we can get from O'Connor and I don't think it's worth pushing the boat out to retain that. His inability to kick with his left foot means that he's not a great utility player for a squad either, as he can really only cover a single position. Things seem to have gone quiet on Naismith from County, but he'd be more aligned with what we should be looking for in a squad player.

There is a lot of shite in that league that really isn't suited to the Scottish game, which we've seen in the past. There are also a lot of players who have the attributes (skill) required to play in Scotland that struggle down South and vice versa. It's not necessarily a case of how many games you've played, it's about the way you play the game. It means that there are a lot of gems to be plucked from the lower tiers of England that can really fit in up here. The reverse of this is known as "Ifil's law", where a player can be fantastic in an English league and be the first name on sheet for a team down South only to come up here for us to find that they've never actually kicked a fitba before. It means that the scouting has to be a bit more than just "good on paper", and that's where we've fallen down under every manager this century. Hopefully this chap will be the start of something different.

Completely agree with you regarding the highlighted in bold statement. I honestly believe with 2 or 3 really good additions, we can finish closer to 9 points than Celtic & maintain our advantage ( over the course of a season even, as certainly not in head to head's  :hammer: ) over the huns. A trio of Michael Hector/ Danny Ward type of signing, but on a permanent transfer & suitable positions of course. Joe Lewis was a great find, Scott McKenna is taking everything in his stride, I liked Mikey Devlin when he was at Hamilton, so fingers crossed he stays injury free and reproduces those performances, not entirely sure we will see much of young Ferguson, maybe we will, so really, we're only another really good winger, Striker and central midfielders away from being even more competitive ( assuming we can put Shinnie Left Back )

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are folk making of the Danny Rogers wanted by Dundee United story??

Yes, send him on loan. No point in him being here while we have Joe. 1st team experience and competition will only make him better. Find a Neil Alexander type to sit on the bench.

Yes, send him on loan. No point in him being here while we have Joe. 1st team experience and competition will only make him better. Find a Neil Alexander type to sit on the bench.

Sending him on loan seems kind of pointless to me now. I really wasn't expecting him to get a new contract given he wasn't considered good enough to replace Joe when he got injured.

However he did get a new contract, which I presume he signed on the basis he knew he was a back up keeper only.....and he would be a relatively cheap option for the club in doing this. Putting him out on loan, we will be subsidising a proportion of his wages....going to a Championship club even Yinited would cost us at least 50% of his contracted pay. Then, assuming we do bring in an Alexander or similiar for a year, we have to stump up a wage commensurate with someone of that experience.....so at least double what Rodgers would be on maybe even more.

Just don't see Rodgers ever being our first choice. If Joe leaves at the end of his contract I'd expect us to go for Woodman or Ward on a permanent deal.

Absolute nonsense..... 50% more than they got for Docherty from Newco  ::)

Actually that above should read 50% more than Newco are paying up in instalments to Hamilton

Fuck them, fuck their plastic pitch and fuck their gazebo.

Sending him on loan seems kind of pointless to me now. I really wasn't expecting him to get a new contract given he wasn't considered good enough to replace Joe when he got injured.

However he did get a new contract, which I presume he signed on the basis he knew he was a back up keeper only.....and he would be a relatively cheap option for the club in doing this. Putting him out on loan, we will be subsidising a proportion of his wages....going to a Championship club even Yinited would cost us at least 50% of his contracted pay. Then, assuming we do bring in an Alexander or similiar for a year, we have to stump up a wage commensurate with someone of that experience.....so at least double what Rodgers would be on maybe even more.

Just don't see Rodgers ever being our first choice. If Joe leaves at the end of his contract I'd expect us to go for Woodman or Ward on a permanent deal.

We wouldn't give him a new contract to be a back up, we have to see him as a long term replacement for Joe. That's why we need him out on loan. Whether I feel he's good enough to be eventual number 1 is a different story, but we wouldn't be giving a new contract to someone his age just to be a back up keeper.

Derek McInnes says only an increased transfer budget will allow title challenge for Dons. McInnes added: “I expect Hibs to improve, for Hearts to go again. You would expect Rangers’ improvement each year if they make good decisions. If they use their funds wisely, they should be 10 or 15 points clear of us and Hibs.”

Anyone know how much of a transfer budget we have at the present time?

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Absolute nonsense..... 50% more than they got for Docherty from Newco  ::)

Actually that above should read 50% more than Newco are paying up in instalments to Hamilton

Fuck them, fuck their plastic pitch and fuck their gazebo.

It's all a bit of a game though isn't it.  If Hamilton want to end up with £100,000 for him then I take it if they ask for that the tribunal will probably award them about 10p so they probably have to start out asking for a ridiculously high figure.

Was under the impression the tribunal rules changed a few years back. Previously selling club would ask a ridiculously high price for a player and conversely the buying club would offer a ridiculously low sum.......tribunal would then set a price roughly midway between the two. I was sure to prevent clubs asking/offering ridiculously high/low prices they changed it so the clubs would put in their most realistic offer and the tribunal would decide which one of the two was indeed the most realistic and that would be the price paid.

Of course I could just be imagining this is the case

This is about the development fee though, not a transfer fee.

Hamilton are due what it cost to develop the player, not what they believe he's "worth" in the transfer market when he's under contract etc.

If Hamilton are suggesting it cost them £900k to develop Ferguson then surely we'd be asking for proof of that?  And also asking how on earth they are surviving if it costs that much to develop one player...

This is about the development fee though, not a transfer fee.

Hamilton are due what it cost to develop the player, not what they believe he's "worth" in the transfer market when he's under contract etc.

If Hamilton are suggesting it cost them £900k to develop Ferguson then surely we'd be asking for proof of that?  And also asking how on earth they are surviving if it costs that much to develop one player...

It's Hamilton. They've clearly been approached by a well-to-do Nigerian gentleman offering his one-time-only online player development services at a cut price £850K. They clicked on the link and now they feel entitled to pass that cost onto us. Seems reasonable.

Just watched his interview on Redtv, McInnes has said to him that he sees him as a key player going forward and that he sees him as the main passer of the ball. Would pretty much confirm that he's McLean's direct replacement. Paid a fee, gave him a three year contract and he has a decent enough goals reel ( Check them all on Youtube ) I have a good feeling about him. Welcome aboard Chris.