Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer Transfer chat

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ferguson is an unknown quality, comes from a good background though. He's 6'1 which pleases me, I think one of the reasons ball has done well in midfield is that he has a bit of physicality.  Fwiw I would try and keep Ball too, he's a versatile team player

Is Ball versatile though?  The only time he's looked passable is in the defensive midfield position. I would rather we got someone better - he's done ok recently in fairness to him but he's a footballer who looks uncomfortable with a ball at his feet, and for playing in the centre of the park that's pretty criminal.

I would hope we can do better than Ball.

Considine’s weaknesses have been highlighted and exploited many a time over the last couple of years. A hat trick against Dundee blinded many last year and a goal against Celtic doesn’t change the fact. Shinnie is more effective in midfield and it will be much harder to replace Shinnie in midfield than replace considine.

Whilst I don't really disagree with you about Consi, I think the gaping hole in the middle of the midfield really should be our priority. Once that's filled with at least two signings in addition to the boy Ferguson, then I'd look at left back next but I'm not convinced McInnes will.

Is Ball versatile though?  The only time he's looked passable is in the defensive midfield position. I would rather we got someone better - he's done ok recently in fairness to him but he's a footballer who looks uncomfortable with a ball at his feet, and for playing in the centre of the park that's pretty criminal.

I would hope we can do better than Ball.

Ball definitely isn’t versatile but I wouldn’t be unhappy if he was signed on as a squad player (Just not right back).

I would have thought left back was more of a priority than right back, especially with Harvie getting released. Logan was honking most of the season but his form certainly improved in last 6 weeks or of the season and looked like his old consistent self again. However Naismith is probably the pick of the County squad alongside Schalk so if we can get him in then it will be a good bit of business.

I anticipate we will be subjected to a few transfer offers ourselves, I think someone will test our resolve for both Scott McKenna & Joe Lewis.

Middlesbrough showing strong interest in McKenna allegedly & I think a good Championship club will come in for Lewis.

This has crossed my mind also. Might not be that bad IF we get "undisclosed" (English market value) fee's, not the joke figures banded about for McKenna in January. Lets consider Ipswich got £10 million for Tyrone Mings from Bournemouth and Middlesbrough paid £5 million for Randolph.

Even better if we could have the deals set up so that we offer good enough terms to secure, say McGeoch and Mulumbu (or whoever), then move said players on, so we are not held to ransom.

Jason Naismith would be a decent enough signing.

He would certainly provide some competition at RB for Logan.

I'd assume this may involve some kind of swap for Tansey?

I would have thought left back was more of a priority than right back, especially with Harvie getting released. Logan was honking most of the season but his form certainly improved in last 6 weeks or of the season and looked like his old consistent self again. However Naismith is probably the pick of the County squad alongside Schalk so if we can get him in then it will be a good bit of business.

I'd agree, but if we get two good centre midfielders in then we have the option of Shinnie at left back. Like you, I suspect Naismith is just taking advantage of the opportunity to sign him rather than a targeted signing. I think he'd also manage a shift in right midfield too, and possibly midfield as he's decent on the ball, and a good defender who - at 6ft2 - could happily at centre half. He's the exact type of utility that we need, and a significant upgrade on Ball. On left back, it was so obvious at the weekend the strengths of playing Considine there. He absolutely dominated Forrest by playing hard up his arse for 90 minutes. He was afforded this by the excellent shift of GMS and the support of Shinnie in midfield when required. It was actually far more effective than playing a quicker player against Forrest, who he'd manage to cope physically against. Our problem this season was playing to Considine's weaknesses by setting up with him having Forrest, or Candeias or Tavernier or Boyle or however else running at him by either playing him left of a back 5 or left of a back 3. It was noticeable that in both Hun and Tims games recently, Candeias and Forrest barely touched the ball in an advanced area as Considine was aggressively on top of them the entire games like he did all last season when Hayes was backing him up. I think we need a left back, because Considine clearly isn't an option there in all but one or two systems, but I'd put it down the list below two midfielders and a striker. It's very noticeable that our defence was significantly better than our attack this season, and one of our top scorers has just left.

I was wondering about Tansey being involved in a swap too. just looking a Naismith's profile, seems he is 6'2".

Could DM possibly be thinking of going with a back 3 next season? Would allow Shay to be used as a wing back and maybe the team as a whole to be far more attacking.

I'd assume this may involve some kind of swap for Tansey?

It certainly would not surprise me if Tansey was involved in some form of swap deal.

McInnes being in record as saying he need two new CM's in the window probably spells out that Tansey most likely wont be back for next season.

I'd happily swap Tansey for a set of training bibs based on his performances for us last season.

If the boy Ferguson gets some game time, first thing he needs to do is get an afc tattoo on his forehead and bang in a screamer against the huns and then get sent off for over celebrating, otherwise, given his family history, he is going to get crucified by the support.

I'd happily take Stewart back and hopefully some of the young boys will make a proper breakthrough next season.

Again just checked and Naismith is out of contract at Coonty so there will be no swap deal done.

FWIW I'd have no problem with Tansey returning and taking a look what he can do fully fit, which he never was with us up to the point we loaned him out. A full pre season and a few friendlies, who knows we might see a player back to the form he showed at Caley.

If however, he really is utter shyte, doubtful Coonty will take him back as their budget will be reduced after relegation. Caravan dwellers seem to take on a lot of our ex players......wonder if they would be interested  :dunno:

Article from when he moved...

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/1145466/naismith-felt-time-was-right-to-leave-hometown-club-for-staggies/

Would suggest 2020, unless of a relegation release clause (if such a thing exists?).

Not according to Transfer Market, the press also all seem to be under the impression that he's a free agent.

Born/age: Jun 25, 1994 (23)

Place of birth:  ScotlandPaisley

Nationality:  ScotlandScotland

Height: 1,87 m

Position: Right-Back

Contract until: 31.05.2018

Agent: no agent

Former international:  ScotlandScotland U21

Seems we are interested in Chris Forrester and Jack Baldwin from Peterborough.

http://the72.co.uk/102748/aberdeen-keen-signing-peterborough-united-duo/

This link actually has a quote from Barry Fry confirming our interest but he doesn't think we can afford them.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/breaking-news-scottish-club-chasing-peterborough-united-pair-lots-of-offers-for-transfer-listed-players-1-8499363

Can't read this as it doesn't like the fact I'm blocking the 31 pop-ups, which load with the page.

Probably right we can't afford them though, as we don't pay our players in Steve Evans favoured manner (brown bags full of cash off the books).

Summary of what Barry Fry had to say:

“Aberdeen want Jack and Chris, but I’m not sure they will be able to afford them,” Fry stated. “There are other clubs after them both as well.

Their owner was also on twitter confirming Aberdeen had made enquiries.

Forrester was appointed club captain at 23, then was stripped of it and replaced by Baldwin, who was also only 23 when appointed.

According to Wikipedia Baldwin is a central defender/right back/midfielder, and at 18 our own Neale Cooper called him a young Alan Hansen. Forrester has been in the Republic of Ireland squad and has been compared to Michael Carrick. By the sound of this we could do with both!

No way will they get that, they are only entitled to what they have paid into his training thus far and I doubt that is anywhere near £500k.

It will go to a tribunal and they will get maybe £200k at most.

Can't in all honesty see it being anything like that figure either.

It does however raise the question of how legally binding the pre-contract would be