Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer Transfer chat

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if Maddison sells for 22 mill plus 2 mill in add ons as I read somewhere, I’d say that places McKenna around 15 mill. Or more.

I've been saying 15 million for McKenna for a few months now and mostly bee ridicued for it.

Hayes?

Nah, he's in the past

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

For some reason, probably down to the profile of our club and the SPL in general but it seems impossible for us to get good value when selling our best players. 

I was gutted when Johnny Hayes only fetched just over £1M when the guy was the best player we have had in a Dons shirt in years and rated the third best in Scotland just over a year ago.

I would hazard a guess that if McKenna was sold anytime in the next couple of years we would be lucky to get £2M for him.  When you see the kind of figures that have been mentioned should Tavernier leave the huns then that is shocking but English teams just seem to historically up their game when buying someone off the Tims or Huns and take the piss if it is any other Scottish side.

For some reason, probably down to the profile of our club and the SPL in general but it seems impossible for us to get good value when selling our best players. 

I was gutted when Johnny Hayes only fetched just over £1M when the guy was the best player we have had in a Dons shirt in years and rated the third best in Scotland just over a year ago.

I would hazard a guess that if McKenna was sold anytime in the next couple of years we would be lucky to get £2M for him.  When you see the kind of figures that have been mentioned should Tavernier leave the huns then that is shocking but English teams just seem to historically up their game when buying someone off the Tims or Huns and take the piss if it is any other Scottish side.

Nope, see my post on the last page, it's entirely (not entirely, but mostly) down to salary. Tavernier will be on £10-15K per week at the hun. If he has a four year deal then that's £2-3M of yer purchase price right there. This is because they are expecting £2-3M worth of playing for Tavernier over the next 4 years if he was to stay. You then add on an additional amount (50% again) if the purchasing team really want the player and the selling team wants to retain them. That's the general run of the mill rule. Exceptional talent - like McKenna - who have multiple interested parties can break this rule (by a large amount) because any future potential will re-coup this addition in either playing performances or future sale, or simply because the buying team are not restricted by cash or are in a different world of money from the selling team (lets say likes of West Ham/Everton bought McKenna or something).

We're not being ripped off. If we offered McKenna £18K a week for four years, then we'd expect a significantly higher return on him. A bit like why Hamilton can only really expect a portion of the contract they'd offered Ferguson from us.

Nope, see my post on the last page, it's entirely (not entirely, but mostly) down to salary. Tavernier will be on £10-15K per week at the hun. If he has a four year deal then that's £2-3M of yer purchase price right there. This is because they are expecting £2-3M worth of playing for Tavernier over the next 4 years if he was to stay. You then add on an additional amount (50% again) if the purchasing team really want the player and the selling team wants to retain them. That's the general run of the mill rule. Exceptional talent - like McKenna - who have multiple interested parties can break this rule (by a large amount) because any future potential will re-coup this addition in either playing performances or future sale, or simply because the buying team are not restricted by cash or are in a different world of money from the selling team (lets say likes of West Ham/Everton bought McKenna or something).

We're not being ripped off. If we offered McKenna £18K a week for four years, then we'd expect a significantly higher return on him. A bit like why Hamilton can only really expect a portion of the contract they'd offered Ferguson from us.

Wages have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Wages have absolutely nothing to do with it.

But if our board and management don't value McKenna, how can we expect a buying club to?

When we pay peanuts to our best prospect, how can we realistically expect a big price for him?

Wages are a huge indicator of worth. It's not like we have clubs fighting over him in a bidding war.

Our problems are many but the biggest one is a lack of ambition on the pitch.

We should be keeping McKenna but Milne will take the first seven figure offer for him.

I fear you're right but there's a bigger thing on their agenda just now.

If they can see that the sale of  McKenna can make their Westhill dreams come true then they may well be willing to hold out.

Bidding war ?

It only takes two and there may well be more than two.

We will certainly wait until we are out of Europe (and I don't mean Brexit)

I’d flat out say that we’ll accept nothing less than 15 mill for McKenna. English clubs have that type of money and we don’t need to sell him. In regards to contract, no way was Maddison on a weekly wage to justify a 24 million transfer.  It comes down to us, what we are willing to accept.

I thought he had signed for Hamilton.

There seems to be an ongoing feud in editing his wiki page to read Hamilton or Aberdeen, started 2 days ago.  No club has actually announced him as a signing yet, although the Sun decided he was signing for Hamilton on the 7th.

Rooney staying at Pittodrie says Aberdeen manager McInnes.Rooney had been left out of the Dons’ starting line-up in the post-split games last season with Championship Dundee United reportedly keen on securing the 30-year-old.

McInnes has also met former Rangers striker Kenny Miller recently in Florida.

Rooney is the first Don to hit 20 or more goals in three consecutive seasons since legend Joe Harper in the late seventies.

McInnes insists he is here to stay.

He said: “Adam has two years left here and has always been a very important player for me.

Well that puts that to bed or does it  :confused:

I sincerely hope we never considered signing Miller.

Straight from the hun to us?

That's unacceptable.

I hate the hun as any other, but if a player improves us, regardless of where he comes from, i'm all for it. Unless they've got a proven criminal record like their latest signing. Folk seem to ignore the fact he played for both celtics beforehand ??? He's just a mercenary, but a talented one at that.

He's almost 39, and whilst no doubt he has looked after himself physically, at that age your legs can't do what they used to consistently for 90 minutes every week, sometimes twice a week.

Guessing he would have been used in the Christie role. So why not just show a bit of ambition and bid £500k for Christie. Dhims would prob reject that but certain they'd cash in for £600-750k as they know he is never going to be anything there than a bit part player.

He's almost 39, and whilst no doubt he has looked after himself physically, at that age your legs can't do what they used to consistently for 90 minutes every week, sometimes twice a week.

Guessing he would have been used in the Christie role. So why not just show a bit of ambition and bid £500k for Christie. Dhims would prob reject that but certain they'd cash in for £600-750k as they know he is never going to be anything there than a bit part player.

Did we really think Christie was any good at any point last season?  Certainly latterly he was absolutely pish and a waste of a jersey.  Personally, I'm not sure he offers us enough and tries too much himself.

Tend to agree with Ten Caat, i would have Christie in a heartbeat , obviously havn't seen 2 new midfielders play but i struggle to see where the creativity & the goals are coming from this season, hopefully will be addressed before season starts.

My question is, what creativity did Christie actually provide?  He was utter horse shit for a lot of last season. I was thoroughly disappointed with him, given how well he'd played previously.  I agree with the principle of buying someone who is young and exciting, despite his obvious skill I thought Christie lost the ball an awful lot, and held onto it far too long.

My question is does Christie have the correct attitude to handle what would be seen as a 'step down'?

He seemed an excellent player 2 seasons back when it was seen as just a half season loan to get him some gametime and show what yon tic were missing. Once the loan was extended it seemed his heart wasn't in it as much.

Aberdeen really need to move on and forget about players from the past like Christie and Hayes and concentrate on other new signings. I liked Christie and he looked as if he loved playing for us in every interview he gave but  nothing on the park near the end of his loan deal. Hayes would cost to much and I do not want him on loan. So up to McInnes to do his stuff for which he is paid.  :thumbsup:

Given that he was due to go on Shinnie's stag jaunt before they both got called up for the Scotland tour I'd say he was definitely enjoying life at Pittodrie knowing he was going to be a first pick every week. I'd agree his performances second half of the season were nowhere near the level of the first half but sure he was carrying a niggling injury that never really got he proper rest it required as our squad is/was so thinly resourced.

As for losing the ball by holding on too long........well that was Hayes' big fault too. It is just the way of things with flair players.