Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer Transfer chat

Dont think it is a coincidence that Rooney's goal tally reduced with the loss of Hayes. Sadly I think Rooney's time with us is probably up. Just doesn't fit in with the style of play DM is utilising. May gets slagged off for his poor goalscoring record but he does contribute to an overall team effort in a way Rooney just never could.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont think it is a coincidence that Rooney's goal tally reduced with the loss of Hayes. Sadly I think Rooney's time with us is probably up. Just doesn't fit in with the style of play DM is utilising. May gets slagged off for his poor goalscoring record but he does contribute to an overall team effort in a way Rooney just never could.

Have yet to see anything of note from May so i'm very much out on his positive contributions. Games i've seen the game seems to pass him by  :-\

But as I said, the service was awful last season so a bit of service and then i'll judge him.  Seems unfair to do so just yet.

What does May contribute? I really was happy we signed him and want him to do well but he just runs around a lot and creates little. Rooney is a penalty box poacher who fed off Hayes and McGinn, and was the right place right time guy. I just don’t see what May has done to impress you. He doesn’t suit the way we play and DM doesn’t appear willing to change (pretty much the same with Greg Stewart.)

It made sense ( to a degree ) at the time when we signed May, we all saw that Rooney was missing Hayes/McGinn and was offering a lot less than he usually does. I definitely think that May's lack of games and his injuries, especially the seriousness of them, have had quite a major impact on his performances. Perhaps with a full pre-season under him, with our medical/fitness team will benefit him hugely.

Rooney won't be happy playing second fiddle, I have zero doubt about that I also have zero doubt that there would be many a club swoop for him should he be allowed to leave, and given that McInnes has publicly said that he will look to bring another striker in, that technically means Rooney would be 3rd choice, May got the nod over him countless times, and as the season came to an end, so did Cosgrove. So I am certain he will be away.

Thon Danny Philliskirk doesn't fill me with confidence, I think he's scored a career total of 40 goals, I know that it's just a rumour with him and he's not even specifically a striker, but I'd much rather keep Rooney if that's the aim for a replacement. 

There is a good player in May, but I think a combination of our fairly poor tactics last season and lack of fitness have not helped his cause during his time with us.

I actually think he is an intelligent player who will add to the team, IF played correctly, he is also quite good for set pieces.

He needs a really good pre season under his belt this summer to get his fitness levels up and hopefully we can see more of the player we all thought we had signed last summer.

Both Rooney and May had poor seasons last year, but our manager must take a large share of the blame for how he used them.

The loss of Hayes last season really hurt us and was probably the best signing Celtic made last summer.

I think May and Cosgrove would work well if given a few games together to form a partnership. But this would require Mcinnes to abandon his favoured 4231 policy.

Also wondering what happened to the Tony Watt deal. If as rumoured, he is off to St J then it cannot be his cash demands scuppering it. Long term fitness an issue I'm guessing.

I'd like us to try to get the boy Kamberi who was on loan at Hibs now back at his parent club Grasshoppers Zurich. By all accounts he is desperate to leave and I reckon we could get him onboard for around £250k or so. The spoonburners seem keen to get him back permanently but surely we could offer him a better package given that we are offering more to McGeouch than Hibs are.

Anthony O’Connor looks set to leave Pittodrie because he does not see Aberdeen as the best place to further his career.The Evening Express understands the Irishman has yet to be offered a new contract by the Dons and it appears unlikely he will be playing in the Granite City next season.

That is despite lengthy discussions between O’Connor, whose contract is up at the end of May, and the club.

Even though talks have taken place, it is understood the Reds have yet to make the 25-year-old a formal contract offer.

The grass is not always greener.

The funniest bit of that article is where he states he’s open to English league one but would prefer the championship  :D

He could definitely do a job in league one, and possibly low end championship. He won't be guaranteed a game for us next season with Devlin in the squad, so he could be right about it being better for furthering his career. When it comes to career, in modern footballer parlance, I think he's referring to: "how much money I can make", rather than opportunity to win trophies (second place trophy for example) or play in Europe. His ability to hoof the ball means he might fair okay down South, however he doesn't have the physical presence of even an Ash Taylor so he may just struggle a little if it came to somewhere like the championship. Good luck to him, I'd rather he was elsewhere.

If we could get the kind of performance we saw from AOC against the dhims in the final match of the season for roughly 15-20 games every season I would have no problem offering him a new contract on marginally improved terms as he would be a very useful squad player to have.

Unfortunately he thinks he is a far better footballer than he is in reality. Sticking to the basics of defending he is more than adequate but he thinks he is Beckenbauer (who himself wasn't nearly as good as he thought). I agree with Rico he will get a gig in the middle to upper reaches of League 1 where clubs can easily match and usually better any contract we can offer so we have probably seen the last of AOC in a Dons shirt

He could definitely do a job in league one, and possibly low end championship. He won't be guaranteed a game for us next season with Devlin in the squad, so he could be right about it being better for furthering his career. When it comes to career, in modern footballer parlance, I think he's referring to: "how much money I can make", rather than opportunity to win trophies (second place trophy for example) or play in Europe. His ability to hoof the ball means he might fair okay down South, however he doesn't have the physical presence of even an Ash Taylor so he may just struggle a little if it came to somewhere like the championship. Good luck to him, I'd rather he was elsewhere.

I think big Ash is a good comparison. Ash was great in the air and had the odd spectacular highlight, an occasional excellent game, but overall, like OConnor, was an accident waiting to happen. Just like Ash, I have minimal confidence in AOC, it's just a matter of when, not if, an accident will cause a goal. Just because AOC had a solid post split does not a good player make.

Rico, I was referring more to his preference. He’s really not that good (despite 5 performances post split), not sure he’s in a position to prefer one over the other. He’s completely after the money, possibly realising how much he can make despite turning out average performances. League one is definitely his level.

Derek Mcinnes admits he’s battling the clock in his bid to reboot the Aberdeen squad.

The Dons boss needs to replace Ryan Christie, Kenny McLean, Anthony O’Connor, Greg Stewart, Chidi Nwakali, Kari Arnason, Nicky Maynard, Dominic Ball and Greg Tansey this summer.

He must have made enquires already to replace these players. Just a waiting game now.

None of those players were that good.

Well, I'm an Arnason fan but he hardly got a chance to shine last season, did he?

One' a Celtic player and shouldn't have been there anyway and McLean........

Even taking away my dislike for both in a red shirt, no one could deny we got a season from both combined.

Christie first half then McLean second.

So, we need one midfielder who can play

One midfielder who is nails.

Guest jinkyjoe

Noticed the Stevie May player photo is in the sale section on the club shop website.  Maybe an early indicator that he is on his way out? Or maybe just that they will be selling one with him in the new shirt shortly? ???

If  that were the reason the they surely would have the Tansey pic on sale too, given that we know he is definitely available (remember these guys have contracts and are perfectly entitled to sit still and cannot be forced to move unless they so desire).....

Though on second thoughts the Tansey pic would probably need to be given away free to shift them now.....

Aberdeen are closing in on the signing of Peterborough midfielder Chris Forrester, HITC Sport understands.

www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/05/30/por-aberdeen-line-up-posh-star-forrester/

Never heard of him so can not comment on how good he is.

This was mentioned over a week ago. Not very good by all accounts. There was a second Peterborough player we were also supposed to be interested in

Looked them up last time around -

According to Wikipedia Baldwin is a central defender/right back/midfielder, and at 18 our own Neale Cooper called him a young Alan Hansen. Forrester has been in the Republic of Ireland squad and has been compared to Michael Carrick. By the sound of this we could do with both!