Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer Transfer chat

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see we're after another Irishman called Stephen Gleeson.  Maybe we can do a Dundalk and actually make Europa League Group Stage if he, Forrester and any other player with green blood wanna join said renaissance!!   

I liked him as Ken in, In Brugge and The Monk in Gangs of New York.

Danny Philliskirk won't be joining, couldn't convince his wife to relocate apparently. Also, notice it's went abruptly quiet on Gleeson? Seemed like it was imminent, nothing mentioned since.

Still plenty of time of course, and a better route to go down than Tansey's etc.. Hope we can get that one over the line.

Also, can anyone tell me regarding Lewis Ferguson & the compensation issue, is the player 100% ours now, even though nothing has been resolved regarding compensation, can he still technically go back to Hamilton as was before our pre-contract?

Danny Philliskirk won't be joining, couldn't convince his wife to relocate apparently. Also, notice it's went abruptly quiet on Gleeson? Seemed like it was imminent, nothing mentioned since.

Still plenty of time of course, and a better route to go down than Tansey's etc.. Hope we can get that one over the line.

Also, can anyone tell me regarding Lewis Ferguson & the compensation issue, is the player 100% ours now, even though nothing has been resolved regarding compensation, can he still technically go back to Hamilton as was before our pre-contract?

He's ours. He was out of contract with Hamilton this summer.  The compensation isn't because he was under contract but because of the development fee they are due.

Dundee United planning ambitious move for out-of-favour Aberdeen star Adam Rooney this summer

Boss Csaba Laszlo is on the hunt for a target man and sees Irishman Rooney, 30, as ideal for that role.

Any move may hinge on the hitman’s willingness to drop a division, even if Dons boss Derek McInnes agrees to let him leave Pittodrie.

I can see Rooney leaving but not sure it will be to Dundee United.

Can't really see him getting much better than Yinited, he could probably go to a Motherwell or even just up the road from Tannadump but the caravan dwellers are spending (relatively) big in what looks like an all out gamble to get back up this coming season and on paper certainly seem no worse than those sides mentioned. If he can agree a contract with them I'd hope he is allowed to leave for free as thanks for his service.

Would be epically funny if the gamble failed though  :rofl:

Can't really see him getting much better than Yinited, he could probably go to a Motherwell or even just up the road from Tannadump but the caravan dwellers are spending (relatively) big in what looks like an all out gamble to get back up this coming season and on paper certainly seem no worse than those sides mentioned. If he can agree a contract with them I'd hope he is allowed to leave for free as thanks for his service.

Rooney has been one of my favourite players over the past few years and not his fault our manager cannot use him properly. I wouldn't like to see him move to that bunch of clowns though, he deserves better than a mickey mouse club like Utd

Cannot agree with you there. Rooney would improve striking options at all the top flight clubs except Celtic. Get the ball to him in the box and he will score goals. As DeeDon says not his fault our manager does not play the tactics that suit his strengths.

So the obvious solution is to sign a striker whose attributes do suit McInnes' tactics rather than try to fit a square peg into a round hole. Agree it isn't Rooney's fault but having him on the left wing last season was like playing with a man down.

In Rooney's entire time at the club, there hasn't been a set of tactics we could deploy against stronger opposition that Rooney would fit into. He simply lacks the pace against stronger, faster and fitter defenders that nullifies his goal threat entirely. He has a level, and it's definitely higher than United, but he isn't going to get a return (for us) against any team higher than Killie. When he first came to the club, it was the Tims, then us. Now there are Sevco, Hibs and - to an extent (away from home anyway) - Hertz all playing at a level above where we were when he first arrived and his top scoring seasons. That - and the loss of Hayes - means McInnes has had to try and find a new way to play that can match those better teams and it has involved shoe-horning May and Rooney in where it hasn't worked. Rooney was further affected as McInnes wanted to try out May in more games than not, and so Rooney was left languishing. When he was introduced, he didn't have the same impact. I have no doubt that a run of games against the poorer opposition last season would have resulted in a significant goal return for Rooney once again. Unfortunately that wouldn't have translated into a goal threat against >=Hibs, as they have players easily capable of coping with him. We need to be looking at a striker that can get a goal return against the better opposition, because as everyone else improves we can't rely on our excellent form against the bottom 8 (that 8 soon become 7 as Jambos get better and so on) to take us further. I completely understand McInnes' position on this one.

Also, May being shite doesn't make Rooney better, we need to look at the two separately. We need a new striker, basically.

Finally, if we could hold onto Rooney as a squad player I'd be delighted. We're bound to get injury and he can easily walk into our team against the bottom 7-8 teams and get vital goals. Unlike last season, he needs only to be a direct replacement for the main striker though and not a makeshift winger or some shite.

In Rooney's entire time at the club, there hasn't been a set of tactics we could deploy against stronger opposition that Rooney would fit into. He simply lacks the pace against stronger, faster and fitter defenders that nullifies his goal threat entirely. He has a level, and it's definitely higher than United, but he isn't going to get a return (for us) against any team higher than Killie. When he first came to the club, it was the Tims, then us. Now there are Sevco, Hibs and - to an extent (away from home anyway) - Hertz all playing at a level above where we were when he first arrived and his top scoring seasons. That - and the loss of Hayes - means McInnes has had to try and find a new way to play that can match those better teams and it has involved shoe-horning May and Rooney in where it hasn't worked. Rooney was further affected as McInnes wanted to try out May in more games than not, and so Rooney was left languishing. When he was introduced, he didn't have the same impact. I have no doubt that a run of games against the poorer opposition last season would have resulted in a significant goal return for Rooney once again. Unfortunately that wouldn't have translated into a goal threat against >=Hibs, as they have players easily capable of coping with him. We need to be looking at a striker that can get a goal return against the better opposition, because as everyone else improves we can't rely on our excellent form against the bottom 8 (that 8 soon become 7 as Jambos get better and so on) to take us further. I completely understand McInnes' position on this one.

Also, May being shite doesn't make Rooney better, we need to look at the two separately. We need a new striker, basically.

Finally, if we could hold onto Rooney as a squad player I'd be delighted. We're bound to get injury and he can easily walk into our team against the bottom 7-8 teams and get vital goals. Unlike last season, he needs only to be a direct replacement for the main striker though and not a makeshift winger or some shite.

Well put min, tend to agree with all this

Absolutely no way we’re letting McKenna go for that. Was the final offer (turned down) in January not rumoured to be about that?

Even at double that there should be significant add on’s including at least a quarter of any future sell on.