Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer Transfer chat

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely no way we’re letting McKenna go for that. [/b]Was the final offer (turned down) in January not rumoured to be about that?[/b]

Even at double that there should be significant add on’s including at least a quarter of any future sell on.

Absolutely not. It was a structured deal worth up to a million.

FWIW worth I think that if we got offered £2.5m we'd take it and go out of our way to be accommodating but like the rest of you I'd like to see us reject that and hold out for more.

I said in January that I thought £3M should be what we're looking at. That would have seemed a reasonable amount. That was prior to his Scotland call ups and captaincy. If we've got a few teams looking at him, then we should be forcing that price up to around £3.5Mish. The add-ons part will be the key here. If he goes to any of those championship clubs and is sold the next day, his value will be doubled. Grantin Hanley is still taking in fees greater than that, and that should be a decent barometer. McKenna is similar in strength and pace to Hanley, but his distribution, positional awareness and temperament/intelligence are significantly better.

The money should be used to build a new main stand.

Sevco have just bought a crock English reserve player for £3million. Would he get McKenna's place in the Dons team? Absolutely not.....

So no way should the club accept anything less than what an established international player goes for. Which is northwards of £5million. As said by another.....he is better than Hanley who went to Newcastle from Blacburn for £5million a couple of years back and then sold on to Norwich for a (rumoured) £3.5million a year later

I think that we have to remember that fees are also based massively on salary as well as potential. I'd reckon £3.5, because that's still a huge fee in Scottish fitba terms (Scott Brown, at £4.5M, is the only outfield player I can think of that moved for more than that this century/ever?). We're not paying McKenna enough to provide a useful comparison between us and the championship. For example, Hanley's £3.5-6M would be proportionate to his salary for Newcastle/Blackburn and the cost equivalent of effectively buying out that remaining contract. If you think about it in salary vs potential/ability terms, in Hanley's case you'd be paying 90% of the fee based on his contract, and 10% based on his fitba(ing) potential (ignoring the fact we all know he's pish). With McKenna, almost all the price is based on his potential, with the cost of matching his remaining contract probably quite small (let's say max of £500K). Hanley gets his move by being an established championship player (at the higher end of the league) who can comfortably (or not) slot in. If we were to remove the associated salary/contract buyout cost, then £3.5M less McKenna's contract will be significantly higher than Hanley's move to Norwich at circa £3.5-4M less cost of his contract. Relatively speaking, we'll be getting significantly more for McKenna than Blackburn did for Hanley if sold at £3.5M. That seems to be the way things work in fitba, hence why we never see huge fees north of the border except for the Tims and Huns (I suspect Craig Gordon was on a fair wage at Hearts when sold too). The key is in the add-ons, and the extent to which you can embed them in all future transfers.

Sevco have just bought a crock English reserve player for £3million. Would he get McKenna's place in the Dons team? Absolutely not.....

So no way should the club accept anything less than what an established international player goes for. Which is northwards of £5million. As said by another.....he is better than Hanley who went to Newcastle from Blacburn for £5million a couple of years back and then sold on to Norwich for a (rumoured) £3.5million a year later

I saw Goldson play a couple of times for Cheltenham the January of the season we got relegated out of the league. To be fair I think Shrewsbury recalled him due to potential damage a shite team heading for the drop could do to a half decent young player, but he did nothing to convince me he was better than Michael Hector (a £4 million player) whom McKenna is/will be better than.

Gleeson sign on a two year deal

Welcome aboard loon  :thumbsup:

Interesting interview on Red TV. He's never met McInnes but already speaks very highly of DM and he sold him on a move north. Definitely one of DMs strengths. Sounds like Gleeson is the defensive midfielder we've badly needed for years. I'd be quite happy with Gleeson and Shinnie, with Forrester ahead of them. McGeough is a long shot but not so desperately needed now, but saying that, if we got him Shinnie can be moved back to LB. I'd still prefer a new LB though and leave our captain in the middle of the park. In my dreams a new LB and McGeough to give us quality depth, especially with Tansey most likely leaving.

Still need a LB, another center mid, wide player, and a forward.

So this boy is a replacement for the position we should have filled 12 months ago (Jack)? Good stuff. With Forrester the McLean replacement?

That leaves a striker (priority for me), a Christie replacement, a fullback that can play across the back (or at least left and right back) and then a wide player? Then the another 2-4 as squad enhancements and punts that might come good.

Welcome aboard Stephen Gleeson. Good experienced player with decent pedigree.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Greg Tansey is going to be staying, meaning there won't be any further midfield additions  :confused: Gleeson, Forrester, Ferguson, Tansey & of course Shinnie. That's the central area covered. Just my suspicion, of course I could be wrong.

Welcome aboard Stephen Gleeson. Good experienced player with decent pedigree.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Greg Tansey is going to be staying, meaning there won't be any further midfield additions  :confused: Gleeson, Forrester, Ferguson, Tansey & of course Shinnie. That's the central area covered. Just my suspicion, of course I could be wrong.

I still expect an attacking central mid on loan like Christie and possibly a wide player too.

Tansey is going nowhere unless we agree to subsidise his wages heavily.....clubs in Scotland know we want him out and the one club who definitely wanted him in got relegated.

The one thing in his favour is that he was never even close to being fit when he was with us last season so this coming season with a good pre-season training behind him he will be like having a totally new player on our books. I honestly don't feel he is as bad a player as some on here think just his fitness issues took over. Of course his attitude will certainly have to improve if he is ever to get back into DM's long term plans.

The McGeouch situation has gone strangely quiet but possibly he could still be away on holiday after the Scotland tour. Can't see Hivs being able to get anywhere close to matching what we are offering (if the 10k/week rumours are indeed true) so its just his preference if he would rather play top end Scottish Premier or bottom end English Championship.

I'd have no real issues with Tansey staying, as long as he wasn't a key part of the 11, as a squad player, no problem.

I agree that he wasn't, or at least didn't, seem as bad as he has been for us, and I can genuinely only remember him in one game, the drubbing at Ibrokes in where he gave away a ridiculous penalty, added to that, McInnes has said in the meeting with fans etc... that he showed no desire to stay and fight for a place, wanted to go back to his comfort zone? That alone merits being shown the door.

However, if he's since bucked his ideas up & is willing to train hard and improve his attitude, then by all means, hang around.

I'd have no real issues with Tansey staying, as long as he wasn't a key part of the 11, as a squad player, no problem.

I agree that he wasn't, or at least didn't, seem as bad as he has been for us, and I can genuinely only remember him in one game, the drubbing at Ibrokes in where he gave away a ridiculous penalty, added to that, McInnes has said in the meeting with fans etc... that he showed no desire to stay and fight for a place, wanted to go back to his comfort zone? That alone merits being shown the door.

However, if he's since bucked his ideas up & is willing to train hard and improve his attitude, then by all means, hang around.

I think Tansey will be gone, regardless. Seem to remember reading an interview with DM where he said Tansey wasn't willing to stay and fight for his place and just wanted away.

Think those bridges are well and truly burned.

Well, bored. Any transfer gossip? The only player out there I'm aware we've been linked with is McGeough. Anyone else out there?

I think it'll be quiet on the old Dons transfer front until the World Cup starts to wind down.

Aberdeen want to re-sign Jonny Hayes from Celtic. Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes is also interested in bringing Hayes back to Pittodrie, just one year after he departed. You could hardly blame Hayes for being tempted by the chance to return to the club where he enjoyed the best spell of his career.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/06/22/do-report-aberdeen-want-to-re-sign-jonny-hayes-from-celtic/

Mmmmmm.. I don't think we could afford him, even if it was true, which I don't think it is.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/06/22/do-report-aberdeen-want-to-re-sign-jonny-hayes-from-celtic/

Mmmmmm.. I don't think we could afford him, even if it was true, which I don't think it is.

Would take him back on a free transfer, which is at best highly unlikely.

Certainly wouldn't be prepared to pay the sort of cash they would want though.

Not really generally a fan of ex players returning to the club.