Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer Transfer chat

Going against some of the other replies here,i'm actually pleased Ball is coming back for another stint. I actually thought it might happen (& said so , at the end of last season), chances are, he will probably be back up anyway but i think he is a very capable holding midfielder.

T.b.h i have more concerns about who is going to be (hopefully) banging them in this season, would like to see a more mobile goal grabber as we dont have one.

Pretty much where I am on this.  Provided he's playing in midfield and no-where near the back four, i'm ok with him being a squad filler.  It is wholeheartedly uninspiring though.  The issue being however, is that we still don't have a good enough first XI, there are holes all over the place.  We get an injury to any of those positions are we're fucked. This transfer window feels like it's a repeat itself with last summer, minus the excuse of not knowing who our manager was going to be.

Edit: Have read elsewhere on twitter that Reynolds has now been ruled out for six months, any truth in this?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much where I am on this.  Provided he's playing in midfield and no-where near the back four, i'm ok with him being a squad filler.  It is wholeheartedly uninspiring though.  The issue being however, is that we still don't have a good enough first XI, there are holes all over the place.  We get an injury to any of those positions are we're fucked. This transfer window feels like it's a repeat itself with last summer, minus the excuse of not knowing who our manager was going to be.

Edit: Have read elsewhere on twitter that Reynolds has now been ruled out for six months, any truth in this?

Yes, as things stand at the moment, we are far,far weaker than we were even last season, if & a big if we managed to stay relatively injury/suspension free we might be ok, but a couple of injuries could see us well & truly goosed. :o  One to watch this season for me is Lewis Ferguson (really looks the part)

Hopefully see another 3 or 4 recruits before season opener. :thumbsup:

According to the P&J Adam Rooney is expected to finalise his departure from the club today to English National League side Salford City.

Sad to see him go but he was not getting much game time lately so probably best he moved on. Good luck to him for the future. :wave:

According to the P&J Adam Rooney is expected to finalise his departure from the club today to English National League side Salford City.

Sad to see him go but he was not getting much game time lately so probably best he moved on. Good luck to him for the future. :wave:

Thanks for everything, but time to move on.

Should not be beyond our means to find a striker who can contribute to the team in general as well as score the tap ins. Imagine the Messiah has someone lined up anyway.

Really hope we announce a top striker today then. We cannot be letting our top goal scorer be leaving without one set up. Otherwise it would be completely amateurish.

No mention of striker in the article but it does mention the  “versatile” Ball as coming into provide defensive and midfield cover and Lyness coming on trial following him leaving Nuneaton Borough to provide cover at keeper.

Rooney has been a good servant to the club BUT that doesn't mean we should just release him for free, particularly to a club that want him and have cash.

As has been said already, I hope the deal for his replacement is in the bag.

Read yesterday that some midfielder they signed from League 1 would be getting £4k per week. Would hope if they're throwing that kind of money around in the conference, that they're paying a fee for Rooney.

No mention of a fee in the article but surely we would not just be freeing our top goal scorer?

I reckon that we are waiting for an answer from Celtic on buying Christie. Sure I read somewhere that Rodgers was saying that Christie may have to move on to get full time football. Christie seemed to like playing for Aberdeen and is still young enough to move down south at a later date and make the big bucks.  :thumbsup:

I’d be surprised to see a ‘top striker’ coming in, think it’s obvious McInnes is planning to go with a May/Cosgrove partnership. Think we’ll either be bringing in a squad player or relying on youth for striking options.

The squad seems alarmingly thin at the moment though - we have pretty much zero contingency, in defence particularly....  :dunno:

I’d be surprised to see a ‘top striker’ coming in, think it’s obvious McInnes is planning to go with a May/Cosgrove partnership. Think we’ll either be bringing in a squad player or relying on youth for striking options.

The squad seems alarmingly thin at the moment though - we have pretty much zero contingency, in defence particularly....  :dunno:

McInnes said at the DNA Q&A the top targets were defensive cover and a striker and that was before Rooney’s possible departure.

May and Cosgrove linked up better in the last Hearts game than Rooney has done with any strike partner that I can remember. Promising and something we'll see more of next season I'm sure.

Would love Moult or someone in though.

Would be very concerned if we were to go into the season with Cosgrove and May as the only striking options. In games I have seen Cosgrove has looked like he has absolutely no idea where the goal is and May has looked a shadow of the player who was at St Johnstone.

Would anybody go with sticking Niall McGinn back up front given his debut season with us??  Unless Sam Cosgrove turns into the new Zlatan Ibrahimovic overnight and with Adam Rooney looking likely to leave I honestly can't see where our goals will be coming from!!

We'll be signing a new striker.

That’s stating the obvious. It’s the quality that is of great concern. Louis Moult and I’ll be happy. Cosgrove doesn’t look like getting goals, May has been average at best, we need a forward that scares other teams and scores goals.

Any mention of the fee for Rooney?

At least we won't be facing him in the SPFL as you know he'd score v us.

If it's £250k then I suppose it softens the blow.

Never saw Moult as his replacement as he seems quite similar to May, in that they both like to run in behind the opposition defence. Any replacement should ideally have pace to burn alongside that goalscoring instinct.

Natural goal scorers like Rooney are a rarity. Bad move this I think, he is only 30. Where do we find a 18-20 goal striker ?

Natural scorer yes, but he thrived on the service of Hayes and McGinn, and I suppose McLean and Christie too. He's also getting slower and doesn't fit with the current squad and talents.......although do we even have 11 players now??

I'd be astounded if we got a fee at all but if we did no way would it be more than £50k. Rooney was a fantastic servant but latterly he was a square peg in a round hole he just didn't fit in with the way DM sets the team up. And playing him on the left wing made the poor guy look worse than a Sunday pub league player.

There must be a new striker in the pipeline as there is no way any sane manager would allow anyone to leave with a squad already down to the bare bones without having a suitable replacement lined up. Unless DM's next masterstroke is to stick Dom Ball in at centre forward  :hammer: