Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

It's very rare you see anything anyone else does though.

Fact is we were all over them.stats don't lie.

And Martin wants to play for Scotland not England and he qualifies as Scottish.

He kept us in this qualifying tournament until the last game.

I'm not a fan but that's another fact for you.

Anyway, it's all done now.

Bring on Euro 2020 and a new beginning.

Well your big team got through to the finals, plenty Englishmen there.

Okay, I withdraw the word "your" from our personal little spat, it is how Scotland thinks though.

Although I do believe I caught you supporting England a few games ago.  ;)

I hope by Euro 2020 qualifying we can be on the same side.

Seems to be a hell of a lot of support for Strachan still. A quick shifty on the BBC comments for example, and it's about 50-50 with those for/against. Strange. The Slovenia game was classic Strachan. Reverting to type when the pressure was back on him again. He made the same mistakes as he did in the opening of the campaign, the same as he did in Georgia in the last campaign. He absolutely has to go, there is no room for progression under Strachan. Undefeated in 6 games is a great stat until you realise it was just the pure desperation associated with the all or nothing nature of the situation. Strachan's job was effectively gone after Lithuania/Slovakia, it was just a case of throwing caution to the wind and going for it. It was like playing 6 games against the Tims where you know you haven't got much chance so the pressure is basically off. As soon as it came to the crunch and it relied on Strachan making proper footballing decisions again it all came crumbling down as he returned to his comfort zone.

More importantly, as a manager he seems to thrive on that hard luck tale. It's like he enjoys the "heartache" and showing that he's a "true Scotland fan". He's a fucking drain. Like the cunt beside him.

International management is about being ruthless and risk averse. The right thing to do in that last game was to take the essence (and formation) of what you had in the previous games and then throw in a couple of form players like McGinn, MacGregor or even Fraser who'll really fight hard and add something. Every international game should be a challenge to those players in the first eleven. Strachan was always "famed" for being outspoken, yet he had nothing to say about £36 a ticket versus Malta, nothing to say about the running of the game in this country. In reality, he was the obsequious little shite the SFA wanted.

Excellent post Rico. Nailed it.

I don't think he'll get punted even though he deserves to be.

If he goes, it will be because he'll sulk off, probably as a result of him spending hours trying to gauge public opinion. He's a very insecure little shit and whilst it's quite normal to want to be liked, he goes about it all the wrong way.

I think there are creditable alternatives Rocket, but the SFA are too scared or too tight to even dip their collective toes in the water.

I can't think of ANY good football managers who are Scottish and who might be the right man for the job.

And it is important that he is Scottish in my opinion.

Alex Neil has good potential to be a (very) good Scottish manager but it's not the right time in his career.

If there is a Scottish manager who could do a good job for Scotland, he's escaping my mind at the moment but I'm sure there's enough knowledge on this forum to come up with a credible alternative or two, someone I hadn't known about or had forgotten about.

George Graham?

They'll go for McCoist or Moyes or some cunt.

If there's not a scottish person, and I think yer right, then we simply don't need one. Shoe-horning in a Scot who isn't up to it is a worse position than giving a good coach from another country (decent British/Irish manager or any other European country). Perhaps a Scandi. Again, we'll get applications and there'll be some good names in there I'm sure. The problem we have, and the Malky Mackay appointment highlights this, is that he has to be someone that will question the entire setup and cause the SFA real problems or else he just won't be doing his job properly. It's a catch 22, as that person won't get the job.

If we go along the foreign coach route, we should be looking for someone with a track record of getting the best out of mediocre teams rather than someone just because they're a household name. Vahid Halilhodži? got Algeria into the knockout round in the last World Cup, got Japan into the next World Cup by finishing top of their qualifying group and has apparently fallen out with the Japan FA types so could be available next summer. Also got Ivory Coast to qualify for 2010 World Cup.

Interesting Rocket that you mention Alex Neil as I also think he will one day be Scotland manager.

I still have an open bet with Paddy Power @ 28/1 on him being next permanent manager. Bet was placed days after the two each draw against The Nigels @ Hampden. Obviously at that time he hadn't got the Preston gig and probably was more likely to be seriously considered and potentially interested at that time.

Wouldna be daft enough to employ McCoist would they??  even if he is "establishment"

Like the Alex Neil suggestion,not so much the foreign appointment idea.Internationals(to me) are the best of what each Countrys abilities and thinking are on offer at that time,even if it does mean continually embarassing ourselves.....

Lambert and Moyes I suspect would see it as a poisoned chalice....both have reputations badly in need of repair after failing miserably at their last clubs. Taking on the Scotland job is only likely to further damage them at this point.

Magoo and Mccoist are so beyond repairing their reputations that they'd snap up the offer. However Magoo may have enough goodwill down south to blag himself a lower division job. Plymouth for example, which may become available fairly soon if Adams keeps up his losing streak.

That leaves McCoist.....as said before he's establishment, hes available, he's cheap. Everything the SFA look for in a candidate.... >:(

Honestly, I'd love a young and enthusiastic manager who wants the job but does that exist? Let's say Neil wanted it, give him his chosen assistant but insist he hires 2 experienced foreign assistants for differing perspectives, ideas, and methodology. The current set up of the buddy system is failing and the last few games only papers over the cracks. Moyes and McCoist don't inspire, neither does George Graham.

We also needs a manager who values Scottish football. Strachan clearly didn't. I'd play Shinnie (biased I know) McGinn, McGregor, even Dorrans before Morrison, Bannan, or McArthur for example. These guys don't play in the championship but is that a higher level than the Euro opponents Celtic and even us have faced? I also think you pick and play guys who clearly play for the jersey. Strachan has picked some real shit.