Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

About 50 million hotels I could recommend but it's all about location so

If you're taking the wife then

In fairness I'm only kidding about coming over as still have no real interest in the national team. I am however potenmtially looking at taking herself to Budapest in early May for her birthday, but only flights I can find currently from Glasgow have a stop over in Munich ???

I checked out the NYP last night after you mentioned and it looks really impressive and not over the top in price. The architecture is stunning and whilst I'm not usually a fan of restaurants who put pictures of their dishes, the New York Cafe does it better than I've ever seen anyone do it. Mouth-watering quality and brilliant design and attention to detail.

It was the London "posh" hotels that I meant rather than this one that I've not been to. It looks on booking.com that Budapest is very well served for hotels. Unlike Aberdeen. And Maud.

The New York Palace is run by Italians and is a bit up itself ( in an Italian sort of way)

They must be good at it though because it didn't piss me off.

The hotel and the cafe are two completely different cultures but it works really well.

It's been 10 years since I actually stayed there and they have built a big annex since then so can't vouch for that.

Also didn't actually eat there ( apart from coffee etc. in the cafe) too many good restaurants in town to eat at the hotel.

Al, Ryanair go direct from Edinburgh to Budapest. Download their App. Reasonable prices. Couldn't see any direct from Glasgow on Skyscanner. I would book it online rather than the App though as they changed their cabin baggage policy last week. Pay £6 for priority + 2 bags. I never normally need anything other than my one case that fits in the overhead lockers for short trips. Last week I had the luxury of a small rucksack too. And when flying from Edinburgh, the Royal Scot car parking is superb service.

Have Ryanair started going direct from Edinburgh?

Jet2 have done the Edinburgh flight for a while now but they haven't been that cheap of late.

Done the Jet2 from Edinburgh and Wizzair from Glasgow, my preference would be wizzair.

Usually just go Lufthansa or KLM from Aberdeen though as there's been little difference in the price.

Well worth a look.

I usually would have to drive there and back and park the car for 7-8 days

It adds up, so generally I fly from Aberdeen.

On a slightly different note ( when you look at the New York Cafe) remember all the stories they used to tell us about behind the iron curtain being grey and miserable?

Thanks for the heads up lads.

Was looking at 8th to 12th May (need to be in the country on 13th )

Wizzair would be perfect from Glasgow, were it not for the 6:15am flight back on the Saturday morning. Nae fucking chance I'm getting that one. Will keep on looking or else it is going to somewhere else I take her. Blackpool can be nice in early May ;)

Had a weekend break in Budapest in 2006. Let the ex wife choose the hotel......she chooses the Hotel Europa in Buda. Looked very 70s in style but was a decent price so let her have her way. On arrival yes indeed it was very 70s and badly in need of decoration but overall was comfortable enough despite the dated decor.

However about 3 years later (by this time the ex and I had separated) I was loaned a DVD by a friend with various ahem  actors and actresses taking us on a "cultural" city tour of Budapest and showing their appreciation of the main sights by indulging in......well I'm sure you can guess.

They then headed back to their hotel.......which was shown in all its 70s glory........to celebrate the successful day's filming with a mass party". no prizes for guessing which feckin hotel the "party" took place in.........