Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

Apparently Slovenia haven't lost a goal at home throughout the campaign. So it goes without saying we will go there and win with yet another very late goal. Playoffs will throw us an eminently winnable tie if we avoid Italy and Portugal. Which I think we will (avoid those 2 teams), winning the first leg and then gloriously fucking things up in the return leg losing out to an injury time decider

Great performance but was beginning to think goal was never going to come. Slovenia losing last minute goal sets us up nicely to fuck up against a team not giving a shit. Just in case however I am going to book play off dates off when I go into work tomorrow.

Absolutely brilliant result.

If you don't like the national team why bother turning up on this thread?

We should be celebrating and happy not gloomy as fuck.

Yes things could have been different if Strachan hadn't fucked up but I believe it's time to give the guy a bit of a break.

No other managers in the last 20 years nearly would have got us this far I believe.

He's a wee dick yes, sfa is corrupt yes, some supporters are idiots yes(like some dons fans and every other fan base),it's in Glasgow, tough luck it won't change and it WAS a tricky group.

We aren't there yet but didn't we all know it would come down to this last game, I certainly did.

Strachan's been picking players in form at least and had to go with Fletcher last night (who I think is overrated for Scotland).surely he has learned some valuable lessons by going with in form players.hes learned from mistakes so surely he deserves some kudos for that.

The defence is far far better , midfield I would have picked MCGregor probably or taken Bannan off who regularly chose badly with his decisions or lacked the skill and level head.

We thoroughly deserved that win.

2 great chances at goal, 2 brilliant kicks hitting the upright and a possible penalty claim if not 2.

They deserved to get their man sent off..cheating chunts.

They're slick and technically better than us and a very decent team.

We may fuck it all up on Monday, it won't be easy but at least we got this far and I'm proud of the lads.

I'd rather be where we are just now than how we were looking 5 games ago even though we actually didn't play that bad.

We have had some great results under Strachan but he's been incredibly stubborn and it still may have cost us a play off place.hes learned now and we'll done to him for changing things around.

We should be thanking Chris Martin who once he came on caused their defence quite a few problems. Brilliant pressure to get the goal from Anyas pass and a great connection for his shot hitting the bar.

If you are still not interested in Monday's game or if we qualify, don't bother replying to this post please.

You're really just being a depressing bastard.

Come on SCOTLAND

I only watched the second half. Scotland were by far the better team and surprised me by creating some chances and not being as utterly dreadful as I remember. Griffiths is a wee fud but he's a good player. He did really well in the lead up to the goal. Thoroughly deserved the win.

Having said that.. Strachan oot.

Can't help but think how it could have been had we not fucked it against Lithuania and defended properly against England.

Yes things could have been different if Strachan hadn't fucked up but I believe it's time to give the guy a bit of a break.

No other managers in the last 20 years nearly would have got us this far I believe.

He's a wee dick yes, sfa is corrupt yes, some supporters are idiots yes(like some dons fans and every other fan base),it's in Glasgow, tough luck it won't change and it WAS a tricky group.

We aren't there yet but didn't we all know it would come down to this last game, I certainly did.

Strachan's been picking players in form at least and had to go with Fletcher last night (who I think is overrated for Scotland).surely he has learned some valuable lessons by going with in form players.hes learned from mistakes so surely he deserves some kudos for that.

The defence is far far better , midfield I would have picked MCGregor probably or taken Bannan off who regularly chose badly with his decisions or lacked the skill and level head.

2 great chances at goal, 2 brilliant kicks hitting the upright and a possible penalty claim if not 2.

We may fuck it all up on Monday, it won't be easy but at least we got this far and I'm proud of the lads.

I'd rather be where we are just now than how we were looking 5 games ago even though we actually didn't play that bad.

We have had some great results under Strachan but he's been incredibly stubborn and it still may have cost us a play off place.hes learned now and we'll done to him for changing things around.

We should be thanking Chris Martin who once he came on caused their defence quite a few problems. Brilliant pressure to get the goal from Anyas pass and a great connection for his shot hitting the bar.

If you are still not interested in Monday's game or if we qualify, don't bother replying to this post please.

Come on SCOTLAND

I agree with most of that. I'll forgive Strachan when we make it to the play-offs. However, you say we didn't play that badly previously? We were fucking awful. The performance against Lithuania was one of the worst I've witnessed watching Scotland. It was Liechtenstein bad and it's really important to remember that if we fail to qualify, as it was unacceptable and so was his ignorant, flippant response. McLeish had a better performing team without the dickishness, and Vogts got us to a playoff too.

I also think that they weren't slicker or technically better than us. We moved the ball about really well and were the better team for the entire match. They have a couple of good players, but I think it does a disservice to the players we had at our disposal to suggest they were technically better. Also, maybe a bit harsh on Bannan. He made some poor passes, but he was also trying a lot to break them down and play the killer pass. Fletcher, who I agree was good last night again, didn't put his neck on the line in the same way by just playing the simple ball. I think you need someone trying stuff even though it doesn't always come off. That said, I'd be happy if he wasn't in the team in the next match as I don't think he's good enough (neither Forrest or Philips either of whom should make way for Fraser).

Would add that I didn't think Teirney had a great game either. He needs to trust his right foot. He put in a really good ball the only time he played one on his right. Anya offered far more threat when he came on, despite not being as good defensively.

Got a good chance on Sunday. Think we'll win.

Rico apologies i meant under Strachans tenor like the croatia match...poland and germany which i thought we were excellent in and the last 5 games of course to name the most obvious.

We have played utter garbage too but that was down to not having the quality mixed with strachan picking the same shite.

Also a special mention to Roberston who was brilliant.

Come on SCOTLAND

Sorry N&T but got to pass opinion on the bits I've highlighted.

The whole point of a forum is to allow people to express opinions not just agree with one another.

I also object to the insinuation that anyone not of your opinion isn't a Scotland supporter.

I have supported my country for well over fifty years, but to be honest have just had the stuffing kicked out of me over the past few years. Last night in my opinion, Chesney got lucky. Team selection was laughable, McGinn and particularly McGregor are two players in form, but don't get a sniff at getting out there. Accept that Brown, Armstrong and Ritchie would all be ahead of them, but none of that three were available.

I firmly believe that last night has only served to paper over the cracks, and even if, sorry when we fail to reach the playoffs, then the Strachan & McGhee apologists will be shouting how unlucky we are, how the footballing Gods are against us and how Strachan should be getting a new contract for two failures.

Sooner he's gone, the sooner my interest will return.

Serious question though N&T, do you believe we will make it to the finals and do you genuinely believe we can make an impact if we get there. Only three players in that team last night to me look like international quality. I'm sure you can all guess which three I refer to. The unfortunate part of that is tha two of them like to play the same position ::)

BigAl i font have a problem with opinions.

But its the slagging off of scotland for no reason when they win i just dont get.

It seems to be an aberdeen supporting thing to be anti-scotland results.

Ive spoken about it a thousand times and heard the same old crap which is an opinion but it seems like its just jumping on the bandwagon.

Why dont people say yeah i dont like the set up etc but good result. Well played scotland...instead of i hate this i hate that ive no interest but ill write on the scotland thread.

Seems like hate just to hate when the team does exactly what supporters are asking for i.e. to put in a good performance and get a result...yet they still moan.

I think we would make an impact if we qualified yes. Why wouldnt we?

As i keep saying we are a million miles from the team last year. We have excellent talent in our youth and a great striker in Griffiths and Martin tbh.

Our defence had improved ten fold which is the main factor for me.

We have reached 2nd spot and come back from the dead so to speak when we were all pissed off.

Isnt that a reason to have some hope?

I think we will beat Slovenia and may or may not make the world cup but its hardly easy as many great footballing countries are finding out at the moment.

When we get results and play well, we should surely be complimentary despite the mistakes in the past.

Just too many doom and gloom merchants.

Like i said..have an ipinion but dont be down on the guys on a Scotland thread who are happy for the resilts.

If afc won and a few came on saying how shite we were and how dm should go (which has happened many times even though we are actually pretty succesful and enjoying our best years for some time), they would get pelters too.

Well N&T, I see your love of all things Scottish doesn't extend to actually living there.

That's fine by me. I've no problem with that.

You have the zeal of the exile though, you seem to forget that the bulk of the population of Scotland don't see Scotland as a nation, only as an extension of England, and they are bloody grateful to be that.

I would guess that the bulk of the people that argue the toss with you on this site are not of this persuasion.

Just pretty hacked off by the ones who are.

I trust I make myself obscure.

I really don't think we will be there and if we do I expect to be embarrassed. Plenty Scottish sides with far greater talent than the current one did the square root of f@ck all at championship finals in the past. But I suppose if we did fluke our way there and WGS decided to act in the greater good by picking a young squad and exposed our obvious talents such as the 2 young left backs ( I think long term Tierney will go to centre back rather than right back) and McGinn to games against the very best in the world then I could accept the inevitable horsings. If he fills his squad with past it dross like Russell Martin and Lee Wallace then he can disappear to a Siberian concentration camp though.

I accept the SFA are a corrupt bunch of self serving arse cheek worshipping twunts but I'd always want the team to do well....

I'm not really sure how anyone can suggest that Strachan is picking form players when he brings Anya off the bench who has barely kicked a ball at club level all year.

Strachan is lauded for his loyalty to players, but that completely ignores the fact that international management is the one managerial job where you don't have to be loyal to players because the pool of players you can pick from is huge and it is absolutely about form players and results. While a certain continuity is required, being blindly loyal to players at that level is likely to result in one thing come the end of it... the sack. 

I couldn't help but think last night that when Scotland needed a goal it'd have been really handy to call on Ryan Christie from the bench.

Hope they do it on Sunday, could be a long 90 minutes though.

Looking very tight in the Playoff place table at the moment

Come tomorrow night Scotland could be bottom of it as we are the only 2nd place team with a negative goal difference (malta results removed).

1 B Portugal        6 5 0 1 21 3 +18 15

2 G Italy              7 4 2 1 11 8 +3 14

3 E Denmark               7 4 1 2 12 5 +7 13

4 C Northern Ireland    7 4 1 2 10 5 +5 13

5 D Wales               7 2 5 0 7 5 +2 11

6 I Croatia               7 3 2 2 6 4 +2 11

7 F Scotland                7 3 2 2 8 9 ?1 11

8 A Sweden               6 3 1 2 10 7 +3 10

9 H Bosnia and Herz      6 2 2 2 10 8 +2 8

Sweden will most likely jump up to 2nd place tomorrow with a victory over Luxembourg so Group H seems to be where we have to hope results go our way to at least make sure beating slovenia gets the desired result

Tomorrow it is Bosnia vs Belgium & Cyprus vs Greece. If the Greeks win and the Bosnians don't it pretty much guarantees Greece will finish 2nd (they play Gibraltar in their final game). That scenario would mean the group H runners up would finish with Max 13 points.

If the Bosnian's dont win and the Cypriots beat Greece then its even better

I'm not really sure how anyone can suggest that Strachan is picking form players when he brings Anya off the bench who has barely kicked a ball at club level all year.

Strachan is lauded for his loyalty to players, but that completely ignores the fact that international management is the one managerial job where you don't have to be loyal to players because the pool of players you can pick from is huge and it is absolutely about form players and results. While a certain continuity is required, being blindly loyal to players at that level is likely to result in one thing come the end of it... the sack. 

I couldn't help but think last night that when Scotland needed a goal it'd have been really handy to call on Ryan Christie from the bench.

Hope they do it on Sunday, could be a long 90 minutes though.

Very much this.  I think Strachan is a good manager but his selections both for squads and line ups have had me pull my hair out on numerous occasions.  That said I don't think he got too much wrong last night.  I would have preferred Fraser last night too but Anya and Martin combined for the goal..... His changes won the game so credit where it's due and even when it was 11 v 11 we were looking the better side. 

red tinted specs off, how good a player has Leigh Griffiths become the past two years?  The roar that went up just in the pub when we won the free kick that he ended up hitting the bar with was incredibly expectant. In all honesty I would love to see him get a shot in a big league.

That said I don't think he got too much wrong last night.

He got away with one.  On the face of it his subs were ropey at best.

Let's face it, he's a wee prick.  I wish i didn't have to speak about a Dons legend like that, but he is.  I'd be amazed if anyone on this board other than Tips n Natties actually gave two fucks for the guy.  He's a horrible wee shite.

He hates Aberdeen. His assistant hates Aberdeen.  I want AFC's players to prosper, they never will with those two cretins in charge of the national side. Fuck them.

He got away with one.  On the face of it his subs were ropey at best.

Let's face it, he's a wee prick.  I wish i didn't have to speak about a Dons legend like that, but he is.  I'd be amazed if anyone on this board other than Tips n Natties actually gave two fucks for the guy.  He's a horrible wee shite.

He hates Aberdeen. His assistant hates Aberdeen.  I want AFC's players to prosper, they never will with those two cretins in charge of the national side. Fuck them.

22 Attempts on goal against slovakia with 7 on target.  He didn't get away with one, we were the better side throughout.  Martin was excellent when he came on, Anya set up the goal and macarthur continued to keep hamsik quiet.  On analysis his subs were effective.  I understand the dislike for him but he got it done last night and if not for an inspired performance from the keeper it would have been far more comfortable.

I don’t think he’s a dick at all (my favourite Dons player of all time).  I’m all for them winning tomorrow, the country needs it.

It reminds me of the Craig Brown era. Many of us moaned like fuck a lot with the squads & the performances, but he got the results.

I don’t think he’s a dick at all (my favourite Dons player of all time).  I’m all for them winning tomorrow, the country needs it.

It reminds me of the Craig Brown era. Many of us moaned like fuck a lot with the squads & the performances, but he got the results.

Well said.

I couldnt care less if i like a manager or not.im supporting the team as said a zillion times..

I didnt like mcleish or Smith or Levein but still wanted Scotland to win then.

The point is, Strachan is finally picking players now who are getting results.

A lot of people seem to just be hanging onto their dislike of him and McGhee and the SFA, whilst ignoring the good stuff.the positivity of our national side turning things around and playing well.

We destroyed Slovakia and deserved the victory.the shots on goal stats speak for themselves and we made a decent team look mediocre even before Mak was sent off.